unknown find from slatey

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if someone knows what this is as its different to all the other rocks I have seen around slate I have seen.
I'm not much of a rock collector but I think it maybe a piece of petrified wood but not sure.
1478081364_win_20161102_20_54_15_pro.jpg

Front
1478081533_win_20161102_20_54_34_pro.jpg

Back
1478081690_win_20161102_20_54_42_pro.jpg

Always hard to be sure from a photo but it does look like a section of petrified wood.

Does the stone feel smooth on the flat side or is there more of a textured feel?
While the first photo does look a bit like petrified wood, the other two photos make me think it could be a layered sandstone or some other sedimentary rock?

shivan said:
Does the stone feel smooth on the flat side or is there more of a textured feel?
While the first photo does look a bit like petrified wood, the other two photos make me think it could be a layered sandstone or some other sedimentary rock?

Are you challenging the judgement of the Rock God? :lol:

Yes, it could easily be some sort of layered sedmentary material.

Rock God has just been demoted to mere mortal status - not paying attention to harder/softer facets that sapphires have, just over cut one :8 No loss of carat weight will result, just a pain in the bum now I have to go round and level them all back up. Not tonight, couldn't be bothered.

Is the surface a bit glossy when dry Fishing for gold? Petrified wood is often (but certainly not always) a little glossy. It's pretty hard stuff as well, you'd probably have difficulty scratching it with a steak knife (not that I've ever tried).

If you have loupes or a strong magnifiying glass, have a good look over the surface.

I can't decide - on one hand it is curved like a piece of tree trunk/branch with what look like evenly spaced growth rings, virtually all identical in contour, even tiny dips look exactly replicated in each one. One band is darker, which you can see in recently cut timber if the tree was exposed to fire at some stage.

On the other hand, the back surface does remind me of sandstone as shivan says. I've picked up heaps of petrified wood but I can't recall any of it having a gritty textured surface.

I agree Lefty, i have a few bits of petrified wood that are more porous than most and could seem a bit granular in a photo. But i have also seen some rhythmic layering of sandstone and mudstone that looked very similar. As you say it can be hard to tell from photos.
An interesting bit anyway.

Is slatey the name of a place?

A bit of basic info about the geology of the area could be useful. Here in eastern QLD and eastern NSW north of Sydney much of the landscape is volcanic in origin and petrified wood has it's origin in wood being buried in silica-rich material ejected from volcanoes. But I think much of the landscape in SA is sedimentary (you're in SA?). That's not to say there is no vulcanised ground at all - the place Little Gem Hunter picked up those feldspar pieces looks volcanic.

Interesting specimen anyhow.

I have some geo mates studying this.

In Victoria and NSW it is not strictly that wood is buried in silica-rich material ejected from volcanoes (although you are correctly quoting this old geological idea that used to dominate in that science, but no longer - although some geos still think that). It is more that the wood gets buried in old river gravels and sands, then lavas fill the old valleys and cover the gravels. A more likely source of the silica that replaces the wood is simply underground water that flows through the gravels after they are buried, that has little or no relationship to the lavas above (we get the same thing in many valleys that never have contained lavas, and in valleys where the lava is still fresh and shows no evidence of having weathered to release its silica). One thing that is fairly certain is that the silica has nothing to do with hot volcanic activity, it is simply silica dissolved into cold groundwater at a later date - even things like grass contains silica which dissolves into the groundwater.

Streams then re-establish themselves on the sides of the lava flows, and cut down, and the lavas and gravels are exposed in the valley walls. and lumps of silicified wood then weather out of the gravels onto the hillsides and into modern streams.

Common opal and precious opal have a similar origin. and they can replace wood, shells, dinosaur bones etc. Your comment about being less lava flows in SA is 100% correct (except in the southeast around Mt Gambier - Coorong), Yet fossil wood, opal etc are if anything more common in SA. So the volcanoes and the fossil wood are not directly related, except that lava flows can help preserve the wood (and the gravel it is in) long enough for it to be silicified. Fossil wood occurs in other areas where there are no lava flows, such as in the Eastern Goldfields of WA. One reason these forms of silica are so common in SA is probably that much of the State was probably an exposed plain being weathered for a long time as the climate changed from wet with crocodiles etc to dry with salt lakes (salty groundwater possibly dissolves more silica). Not only opal but a chalcedony or quartz rock called silcrete formed on that plain (which now remains as flat tops on mesas. eg northern Stuart Range) and I commonly see silicified plant fossils in this, and in similar rock around Meredith in Victoria (and elsewhere).

There is also a reason for the distribution of lava flows and volcanoes, which are largely distributed east of a line from Robe through the Warrambungles into northeast coastal Queensland, but I won't bore you with details.

Fossil wood CAN also be silicified by hot water related to hot springs and volcanoes (eg Nevada), which is where the original idea came from, but this origin is rather rare in Australia, Likewise opal can form this way and I know of such examples recorded in New England NSW (eg precious opal in cavities in vesicular lava) and in veins at Beechworth and Collgardie. But in Australia it would probably not be the origin 0.1% of opal or fossil wood.

It is possible the specimen is fossil wood, and that would be my main guess, but as others note, the possibility that it is simply a sedimentary rock cannot be excluded. If cut and polished the cells in the wood can sometimes be recognised.

Dunno, I'm no longer the Rock God, I've been downgraded remember :)

But can tell you from firsthand fossicking experience (jn this neck of the woods at least) that petrified wood is particularly abundant in river gravels that run through fields of extinct volcanic plugs - you could fill a 44-gallon with it drum at Riverslea crossing and some has veins filled with agate. Conversely, I've found little or none on the gravel banks of streams where no such formations exist. Certainly, other fossickers have told me of similar situations about the countryside so there does appear to be a relationship - even if it not a necessary one. At Riverslea it occurs in conjunction with chalcedonies, bits of (usually poorly) banded agate, jaspers and material that a geo has told me resembles volcanic ejecta. Very nearby, Mount Hay produces thundereggs often filled with some nice enough agate and quartz crystals. But it could just be co-incidence.

While the opal coming from Australia's opal fields does not appear of volcanic origin, it certainly appears to be in other places. Welo opal from Ethiopa is such an opal - some is very beautiful stuff but also appears to be easily treated to enhance it's appearance or emulate black opal. So I have no reason to doubt the origins stated to me by a person who showed be a piece of blue pinfire-type opal that he said came from a volcanic area not far from me. I didn't ask him if I could stick it on my tongue to try and determine if it was hydrophane :) In our monsoonal climate versus the arid Ethiopian site, it would probably be full of water anyway.

Fossil wood CAN also be silicified by hot water related to hot springs and volcanoes (eg Nevada), which is where the original idea came from, but this origin is rather rare in Australia, Likewise opal can form this way and I know of such examples recorded in New England NSW (eg precious opal in cavities in vesicular lava) and in veins at Beechworth and Collgardie. But in Australia it would probably not be the origin 0.1% of opal or fossil wood.

Sounds like all the fossil wood I've ever picked up is that 0.1% then - which must make it rarer than nearly all other petrified wood, which means no more just giving bits away, I want a couple of hundred bucks a kilo at least :lol:

Where are these geo mates of yours working? They really ought to come and have a look at Central Queensland - it might help add to the overall understanding.

There is also a reason for the distribution of lava flows and volcanoes, which are largely distributed east of a line from Robe through the Warrambungles into northeast coastal Queensland, but I won't bore you with details.

I promise, you won't bore me - I'm always keen to learn more about this stuff. One of the geo's I talk to favours the subduction zone theory for the formation of our sapphires, which is why they occur all up and down the east coast/subcoastal areas. Most deposits are not remotely on the scale of the Anakie or New England fields but they are there.

Interesting stuff.
It was my understanding that petrified wood is associated with volcanism more for the hydrothermal activity associated with them rather than the ash. So the water around the magma and associated with it, is super heated and more easily able to dissolve and absorb the silica and other minerals leaving the water super saturated with silica.
Where as fossils/petrified wood from non volcanic areas are preserved through other means, sometimes in oceans where chert was forming such as peanut wood, or from carbonates in a basin environment like out near lake keepit. Others in rivers or lakes that had rapid deposition to help with preservation of material followed by pressure from compaction, like you seem to find a bit of petrified wood around coal seams.

I find it all very fascinating 8)

It is all very interesting. I have to say I've never found pet wood near a coal seam - but what I did find (as a kid and don't know what happened to them) at a coal seam just outside Theodore or Taroom (two little towns in inland QLD, can't remember which it was) was a coal seam that had been cut through by the river and the ground was littered with fossils. They all seemed to be the same, either clam shells or leaf imprints. I wonder if it's alls till there?

I have found a bit of petrified wood in some of the coal in the river locally, though it has been very flattened and squished and only small bits of stick or branch. I do not know if it is directly related to the petrified wood found but have heard of a couple of other petrified wood sites that are near coal seams, like around Alpha WA, so i guess i just made a connection in my head.

[Lefty]Dunno, I'm no longer the Rock God, I've been downgraded remember :)

But can tell you from firsthand fossicking experience (jn this neck of the woods at least) that petrified wood is particularly abundant in river gravels that run through fields of extinct volcanic plugs - you could fill a 44-gallon with it drum at Riverslea crossing and some has veins filled with agate. Conversely, I've found little or none on the gravel banks of streams where no such formations exist. Certainly, other fossickers have told me of similar situations about the countryside so there does appear to be a relationship - even if it not a necessary one.

Yes, but when a spatial relationship it is not necessarily a genetic one. One reason for the relationship when it exists can be this. The spatial relationship can be that fossil gravels tend to be eroded away rapidly unless something protects them, and lavas provide good protection, so the gravels under lavas are last to erode away, after the lavas have mostly gone. Volcanic plugs are usually associated with pyroclastics and lavas ejected from those plugs (you mention ejected material). However as I mentioned, these gemstones CAN form near lavas (and near volcanic necks, and in them) - I mentioned opal in volcanics in New England, I meant the New England region which is not just NSW but includes up to your way. Sometimes it is from hot water from the volcanism, and that is usually in veins or vesicles within the lavas, regardless of whether they are rhyolitic or basaltic Sometimes even this is mostly rainwater that becomes groundwater that gets heated by the volcanic activity. More commonly it is from silica released from basaltic lava later during weathering - rhyolite 200 My old will often still ring like a bell and be little weathered (it consists mostly of quartz and feldspar), but basalt 1 My old can be weathered to brown clay and iron oxide (basalts consists of things like volcanic glass and olivine or pyroxene which rapidly weather to release silica as they convert to Mg clays - smectites). You obviously like to know about what you fossick, and know what you are talking about, so I have attached a paper on your area for your interest. Obviosly I am not familiar enough with your area to put my chop on a block about its origin.

While the opal coming from Australia's opal fields does not appear of volcanic origin, it certainly appears to be in other places. Welo opal from Ethiopa is such an opal - some is very beautiful stuff but also appears to be easily treated to enhance it's appearance or emulate black opal. So I have no reason to doubt the origins stated to me by a person who showed be a piece of blue pinfire-type opal that he said came from a volcanic area not far from me. I didn't ask him if I could stick it on my tongue to try and determine if it was hydrophane :) In our monsoonal climate versus the arid Ethiopian site, it would probably be full of water anyway.

Dead right - Australia is the only place in the world to have precious opal that is NOT of volcanic origin (most here is not). Hungary, Mexico, central America, Brazil are examples - precious opal of any type has never been recorded from southern Africa. Most do not look like our opal (eg orange Mexican and Hungarian fire opal, the pure jelly opal of central America with a matrix as perfectly clear as window-glass- the closest I have seen is Brazil which is like our non-black opal. Keep in mind that Australia's climate has not always been monsoonal, although it was probably quite wet and drying out when most opal formed (as I mentioned for South Australia). More like western Tasmania where it is bloody cold now but they still get as much rain as Tully - Australia was still travelling north from the South Pole at the time. Victoria and areas east of the Flinders had similar Nothofagus (Southern Beach) forests as far north as Broken Hill only a million years ago (it actually started drying in the Tertiary and Nothofagus disappeared from the mainland but suddenly went wet again in the Pliocene (at 2 My) and has gone dry again, surviving in Tasmania and a few south-facing ullies in Victoria. The wood was found in the gold deep leads and they used to make walking sticks out of them in Ballarat (I'd love one for my final years).

Sounds like all the fossil wood I've ever picked up is that 0.1% then - which must make it rarer than nearly all other petrified wood, which means no more just giving bits away, I want a couple of hundred bucks a kilo at least :lol:

Not necessarily - it could be any of the three in your area - (i) directly formed from hot water formed when the volcanoes were erupting (least likely unless actually in the volcanics), (ii) water flowing through the weathering volcanics at a later date when the volcanoes were long dead (and into the gravels below) - which is more common but depends on the areea - or (iii) silica-rich groundwater not of volcanic origin simply flowing through gravels and unrelated to nearby volcanic plugs (by far the most common overall, but it depends on the area). The 0.1% I mentioned was more the first. One reason the first origin is rare is that silica in hot water of volcanic origin rapidly precipitates at surface, so is usually confined to the volcanic rock and would be largely gone by the time the water entered near-surface gravel (although it can occur if entering from below). The precious opal from New England is mostly full of water (the type you hear cracking as you drive back to camp at night, like Stuart Creek) so little reaches the market (what I meant by 0.1%). There is actually very little water in molten basalt lava and it dumps its silica rapidly (eg 50% of its water dumps as it cools from 300 to 200 degrees, so by surface it is mostly gone except where the water emerges.

My mates (and I ) work in all of South Australia, western Queensland, SE NT, northern SW and much of Victoria and some of Tasmania.

I promise, you won't bore me - I'm always keen to learn more about this stuff. One of the geo's I talk to favours the subduction zone theory for the formation of our sapphires, which is why they occur all up and down the east coast/subcoastal areas. Most deposits are not remotely on the scale of the Anakie or New England fields but they are there.

I agree completely that they come out of the volcanics, as do large zircons - there is a quarry near me (Daylesford) with zircons to a centimetre (perfect crystal forms) embedded in basalt still, a lake south of here entirely in basalt which has zircon gravel. Not so sure re the NSW diamonds but I thought they were subduction type and young (formed from organic carbon sundected with the slab, different to most diamonds like SAfrica or Argyle that formed 3 By ago and have sat in the mantle since until later blasted to surface). I slightly disagree re that subduction story but that is a complicated story and geos often have to simplify so the complexity gets lost - it is bloody complex - it is possibly more indirectly related, in much the way that the basalts of Auckland are related to the North Island being in tension well west of the subduction zone (because of the subduction) so lavas there rise from the mantle. The lavas related to the subduction are further east and mostly rhyolite (Taupo etc) and related to the downgoing slab, the subduction is occuring still further east off the east coast. Eastern Australia is more complex again, as we had this as well up until about Cretaceous times. However most of the volcanoes of younger age in eastern Australia are thought to be "hot spot" related by many (not all) geos, not subduction, and the sapphires and rubies and many zircons are ascribed to them. A hot spot is different, it rises possibly from as deep as the core-mantle boundary and is stationary (SOuth Africa has lots of diamonds because it has been pinned by three hot spots since the Cretaceous - Ethiopia, Tristan de Cunha and the Karoo - and unable to migrate away from them - it has no subduction boundaries since then unlike other continents (Australia has one with Timor). However because Australia was moving north and the hot spot was stationary, it formed a line of volcanoes from north of the Glasshouse Montains to Mt Gambier, those in the north being oldest, those at Mt Gambier youngest (the aborigines record the 4000 year old eruptions there, and there is still molten magma at depth under Bass Strait). This line parallel to Australia's northward movement is parallel to but mostly slightly west of the older subduction line, which occurred along the entire Australian coast in the Cambrian to Devonian from Tasmania up to the Sydney Basin, and from the Sydney Basin to the tip of Cape York from the Devonian to the Cretaceous. Only from the Cretaceous did this cease and Australia start splitting from Antarctica and moving north, with NZ splitting from both. It is further complicated by a line of similar "alkaline" intrusions of Jurassic-Cretaceous age close to the coast (eg Qld, Mt Dromedary in NSW and Cygnet in Tasmania but closer to the coast - probably a bit extensional but indirectly caused by subduction like the Auckland examples - caused by tensional cracking above the subducting plate but coming from the mantle or deeper and not from subducting plate like those explosive volcanoes further east). Keep in mind that our fiery volcanoes up until the Cretaceous are now mostly underwater between Australia and New Caledonia (which was our Cretaceous subduction zone)- in the Cretaceous the Tasman sea opened and New Zealand rifted away along with New Caledonia and the submarine rise on which isolated volcanic islands like Lord Howe sit. It used to look like this (from Hughes and Phillips 2015) - all the yellow and pink was one continuous continent:

1478328843_nz1.jpg

Overdosed yet?

Latest posts