Garrett Repairs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,can anyone refer me to who could repair my old garrett detector, it's around 20 years old . The battery pack is broken . It uses 6 9 volt betteries which fit into a case which slides inside the unit. I've inherited this old girl and I'm keen to get amongst it. I've never done any prospecting.

Thanks

Daren

Hopperlea said:
It's a green garrett ads model ? I can't get a pic on here .
Guys I'm still looking for help to get this machine working, the battery pack needs to be repaired, any help would be greatly appreciated .

maybe a wanted thread for the battery pack might provide the parts you need, as plenty of horders of old machines would be on here . you just need as much info or numbers as you can, unless you can post a picture.

good luck

Have you got a pic of the damage? Jaycar is good for replacement parts ie. battery holder, if you don't know how to solder an electrician or competent person would be able to help you out, Auto electrician, circuit board repairer.......... google your specific area for someone close by and have a chat to them
Sounds like a basic repair
what area are you in?
Or you could modify it to take a different style battery pack like a RC car pack

Probably your best bet is to scour ebay for any non-functional Garretts of that era that you can scavenge parts from, you do see them pop up in US for not a hell of a lot.

Tathradj said:
what model is it.?
A2b. ?

6x 9 volt batteries means it must be a Deepseeker; A2B/Groundhogs only used 4:

1476008555_garrett_deepseeker.jpg

If it's not repaired or replaced by now Hopper maybe you could take it to a plastic welder, you know, the people that can fix the old plastic car grills and the like, they would be able to make it like new again for you. :D

Hi guys I sent my At Pro away to get fixed by Garrett Australia, they have quoted me $444.00 for a new mother board, plus $14.99 postage and handling.

Roy from Garrett Australia said that they would only give me 3 months warranty on the mother board and that Garrett back their parts. What do you guys think off

this for service? I'm really disappointed with this service from Garrett Australia!! I've had 2 Garrett detectors and a Garrett pro pointer but I feel that their customer

support and service isn't very satisfying for their customers. I have had fisher detectors and minelab detectors and have found these to be a lot more customer

friendly. Thoughts please guys!

cheers Rob

beach detecting addict said:
Hi guys I sent my At Pro away to get fixed by Garrett Australia, they have quoted me $444.00 for a new mother board, plus $14.99 postage and handling.

Roy from Garrett Australia said that they would only give me 3 months warranty on the mother board and that Garrett back their parts. What do you guys think off

this for service? I'm really disappointed with this service from Garrett Australia!! I've had 2 Garrett detectors and a Garrett pro pointer but I feel that their customer

support and service isn't very satisfying for their customers. I have had fisher detectors and minelab detectors and have found these to be a lot more customer

friendly. Thoughts please guys!

cheers Rob

Have repaired a couple post warranty... If I recall the issue was Ground balance and or Pinpointing - Would get all noisey etc.

Damage to the main board due to IC's being squeezed and pushed out of position... also a bad joint or two.

The other one, just had poor wiring and dry joints and easier to fix...

But you never know until you open them up....

AND then the issue of the front Decal if damaged when doing the repair - I understand that in the USA you can buy/get the decal BUT not here in Australia.

I guess you have to toss up whether it is worth putting up that sort of money for a repair, get a third party to have a look at it, or cut your losses and invest it in a new detector with a decent length warranty. Repairs outside of warranty are usually quite expensive, especially as it is rare to repair parts, just swap out them out with new components.

If you get another AT Pro, at least you with some spares for it.

The battery pack has 9V 18V 27V and 36V at different pins.

The conectors are available from the following link or Jaycar may also be worth trying.

http://www.treasureenterprises.com/...rett_metal_detectors.htm#REPAIR - SPARE PARTS

Go to an electronics workshop and they will be able to help with the soldering, I had to replace several of the tracks on the circuit board when I did mine. Also the male pins on the inside of the detector will most likely be coroded and will need to be cleaned or preferably replaced. Entry to the inside is a real pita 7 screws are easy to get to but the 8th is under the meter on the top, If you have never taken meters apart previously dont attempt this yourself as damage can easily occour usually when you have done all the other repairs. Also if you decide not to go ahead I may be interested in purchasing yours for spares in the future. Ken.

Latest posts