Highbanker / Sluice Options - Help Needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at adding a highbanker / sluice to my prospecting kit but am completely lost with all the options and what's best for Oz gold. I'm wanting something small, portable, battery powered, simple and with the ability to run concentrates via recirculating back at home; I also like the idea of, primarily, rubber matting rather than expanded mesh, metal bars and/or miners moss. I've identified 3 possible models and would love some comments from people's experiences and/or general advice pointing one way or another?

1) Gold Hog Piglet
2) Keene Mini Max
3) Gold Hog Multi Sluice

Thanks in advance! :D

Mainly into detecting but do dable in a bit of sluicing when water levels permit.
Suggest you also check out the Goldrat range (highbankers.com.au ??) has the new vortex dream mat, can be run with a 3700gph bilge pump (on site or to clean up at home) or as a sluice with little or no pre classifying and smaller amount of concentrates to refine.
Good luck out there,
Cheers T.

JD,

I run a sluicy highbanker and am pretty happy with it. I'm shortly going to replace the carpet with miners moss. Once you have any highbanker set up properly, the most important factor is how much of the right dirt you put over the mat or riffles.

I'd recommend that you think about a small 4 stroke pump instead of an electric one. You need a very big, heavy and expensive battery to get a day's work out of a bilge pump. Then you need a means of charging it if you are on a multi day trip.

This discussion might be useful:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3585

However, perhaps you have a situation were being stealthy and quiet is important?

I totally agree with the Doc on getting a petrol pump.
They are as light and easier to carry around then a car battery and far more versatile to use in the different locations and scenarios you will likely come across. They are also reasonably priced.
Rato for instance are a good reliable brand at a good price.

http://www.ratoaustralia.com.au/products/water-pump/rt25zb20-1-1q-detail

Angus Mackirk make some good gear that capture gold without the use of matting or mesh . If you are handy with making things you can buy one of their river sluices and build the add ons to create a high banker and save yourself a few dollars .

If you do go with an electric pump, consider using a small generator instead of/as well as a battery. It gives you the ability to expand a bit more, add a trommel or a small cement mixer for puddling and things like that if you decide to down the track without having to haul even more batteries.

DrDuck said:
DropBear said:
http://www.goldhog.com/mini_highbanker.htm

I have that with the extension. it takes a HUGE amount of dirt, 2 people running it and it's hard to keep up.

Hey, DB,

How much gold do you recover in the extension, compared with what you get out of the mini-banker itself?

Not much mate, the top section does almost all of the work.

I run about 8.5 degrees on the top and 6 to 5 down the bottom with water flow at high pace.
The little pump i have been using, we run it flat out... lol But just upgraded to a much bigger pump, just need to actually get it set up with correct hosing etc.

I have the last model, so i'm going to do some modding to the topbox and install a claybar (good for cleaning big rocks)

Was bummed they released the new one about a month after i got mine.

theres so many cool small highbankers out there mate, as has been said petrol pump for pumping at distance from water or when you need pressure to bust up your clay. If you are going for something small like our 8" Outback pioneer series highbankers a 3000GPH TMC bilge pump will provide plenty of water.

The gold hog mats are a surface mat so they need less again and more angle. good luck in the search i'm sure you be happy with whatever you buy

Latest posts