Opalton Mine Collapse

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the bloke is ok.

Happened to a mate of mine near Rubyvale. He and his mining partner got out just in time when their shaft experienced a partial collapse. After it had settled down, mining partner wanted to go back down but my mate wouldn't. They decided to call it a day and come back and inspect it in the morning. When they returned next morning, they discovered that the whole lot had come down some time after they had left.

Mining can be a risky business - I got cleaned up in a hole less than 5 feet deep. Was lucky to get out of that one with just a few cracked ribs and collar bone - my cllar bone still "clicks" occasionally to this day.

I was out and about over the weekend and came across a couple of old workings..... before Opalton I would have been tempted to explore but not after Opalton.

Steve V2.0 said:
I was out and about over the weekend and came across a couple of old workings..... before Opalton I would have been tempted to explore but not after Opalton.

I would never venture down into old workings - except maybe a broad (definitely not narrow!) open-cut hole and then only with caution. I would never venture down an old shaft.

I don't think it was a shaft Lefty, just an open cut. People can forget that even trenches can collapse, especially after rain. Must be a shock to that tiny community - regards to Branko, Stanko, Red, Kevin. Bruno and all....

the important message is to stay clear of all old workings.... open cut or shafts or tunnels.

It was tragic for all concerned and heartfelt condolences to everyone affected

I actually worked this open cut mine for the last 12 months with Sid.
It was 2 metres deep,7 metres long and about a metre and a half wide.
Its such a tradgedy this bloke has passed. I knew this bloke for 10 years and he taught me so much about the opal game and still had so much knowledge to give.
He will b sadly missed by all the miners on the field.
R.I.P my old mate im gunna miss ya

Latest posts