"Bogged" The Moment i wished i still had a winch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LC76 said:
Mbasko by "liking" his post you're basically saying you agree or "what he said".

So don't cry about being included in the rebuttal
I do agree & said that above. In my experience I'd never heard of a bogging like it but clearly aussiefarmer shed some light on it.
Why single me out for a simple like - there's at least one other who "liked" a similar post agreeing it didn't look right & another post saying so. Anyway it's got bugger all to do with you so keep your own rebuttals in your pocket.

1477219262_screen_shot_2016-10-23_at_9.35.50_pm.jpg

:| :rolleyes:

I'm in this thread for the learning - not for the personal jibes guys. I've already taken flack from my inexperience re recoveries, but I don't care. I'm learning heaps from you guys. Please tone it down and keep teaching us newbies. Maybe it'll even save a life.

:lol: that's just cruel AF.
I was lucky my old man was at home & had nothing better to do. :D He was a lot calmer about it then me & had a few plans of attack. The block of timber, bottle jack & timbering under the tyres worked but it was hard going even with the 2 of us. I'm a lot better prepared now but avoid anything that looks dodgy.

I'm sure it exists somewhere, but I have never come across ground where there was a crust and slop beneath.
Where in Aus do you get conditions like that?
I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, that is a genuine question.

When I worked in the NT, now and again you would come across dark patches inbetween the spinifex and harder packed sand. These patches usually consisted of a thin crust with the stickiest black mud underneath - hit one of these areas and you would sink down to the belly of the cruiser ute pretty much instananeously. On one particular day we bogged our cruiser, the drill rig (caterpilpar timberjack) and support truck all within several metres of each other after leaving an access track. We ended up unbogging the rig using the hydraulic jacks and some sleepers, then pulled everything else out using the rig and some chains. Not much fun in 40deg plus temps with a ton of humidity thrown it for good measure. :)

Occasional_panner said:
I'm sure it exists somewhere, but I have never come across ground where there was a crust and slop beneath.
Where in Aus do you get conditions like that?
I'm not trying to be a smart arse here, that is a genuine question.

Anywhere there is saturated ground the top is just less saturated due to evaporation or held together with a layer of detritus. Salt and mud pans are a great example nice and hard until you break through then you can't get away from the mush. Permeable and impermeable contact zones result in springs. Check out the colour difference in the soil front and back wheels.
Jon

Latest posts