"Bogged" The Moment i wished i still had a winch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1477018695_img_4013.jpg

This is a true time when you reflect and truly value friendship ;)

;) Thanks BW I think I have watched to much ice road truckers and it was a fail the rope was just cheap stuff and by the looks of the pic I had the rope tied up to high in the tree .. Lucky I still had a phone a friend close by Jaros & silver :p

Thanks GC77 for bailing me out of a stupid question with its deserved sarcastic response, but I'm a newbie to extractions.
Never heard of that method, but it looks like a great idea and great pic. Is it used much by 4by drivers and do you carry the chain section for that reason?
If so, I'll stick it in my failing memory bank and take a good rope out next time.
The ground does look pretty solid where you were stuck and would have gotten most I guess - except the area beyond the track :)
Cheers
BW

Usually you would use a wide strap like what the trucks tie their loads down with so it sits firmer on the tire BW, I was only turning around as it was to wet and it just sank like quicksand :lol: its pretty wet over this way..
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/8EXDpmac7Fs[/video]

Just an idea fellas, but I saw a winch made from two poles and a rope tied to a tree. Sorry I cant put a pic of it on here, but it involves putting one pole vertical in the ground, with the rope half hitch around it. you put the end of the other pole under the rope, then rotate the vertical pole with the right angle pole to pull the vehicle out. Hope that makes sense.
The vertical pole must go INTO the ground.
Mike70.

Mike, like this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pt5WmC16k
This should be used as an absolute last resort though, if the rope breaks under strain it could seriously injure you.

My one has a TJM which are good, but overpriced, these ones https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/winches.html
have been on the market for a few years now and actually hold up very well, if I had my time over I'd just buy one of them,at 1/4 the price of a TJM they are really affordable and it's pretty silly not to have one if you venture out into the slippy stuff often (particularly alone)

Also often overlooked is your best friend the shovel, if you dig an exit ramp in front of each wheel the force required to remove the vehicle is minimized multiple times.

Yes, that's the one. Forgot to add putting a sack or blanket over the rope in case of breakage.

Mike70.

xcvator said:
couple of "max tracks" and a bag of lime would have helped too :cool:

Im no stranger to digging or winching out of bog holes and I get the max tracks, but the lime?
Will it consolidate the clay/mud or somthing?

iana said:
xcvator said:
couple of "max tracks" and a bag of lime would have helped too :cool:

Im no stranger to digging or winching out of bog holes and I get the max tracks, but the lime?
Will it consolidate the clay/mud or somthing?

Old trick that 1 :) yep the lime has a chemical reaction with the soil/clay and helps to bind it together so you dump a heap of it under, over and in front of the wheels and you get an almost instant improved traction

The phone is definently the smartest recovery tool when your sunk to your diffs.
When that fails it becomes all about either being prepaired or being inventive.
Being prepared ,
Winch- fixes most situations,
Wallaby jack- to raise the vehicle and fill treches with logs etc,
Chainsaw- to cut logs for trenches and blocks to stop jacks sinking ,any one that travels bush trails should have one as if a tree falls while you are prospecting there may not be any way around it to get out.
Shovel- to dig your way out but if you are on your diff its usually to late and if bogged in soup the key will be getting back on top of the crust not digging the crust off.
Bog boards- seen em on 4x4 shows look perfect for getting back ontop with either some jacking or shoveling,
plus about two other ute loads of possible gear , a winch is by far the best insurance just hook to trees at ground level as i roll on the ground laughing when the tree is laying in front of the ute.

Being inventive still depends on some tools the more you have the more options you have.
Basics that should be in every bush vehicle would be
Pliers/wire cutters- wire is usually findable in the bush and has a million uses like lashing a tree rail wider than the vehicle to the wheels by threading the wire through the rims do this front and back, then creep the vehicle up on top of the rails ,fill the trenches in with logs and cut wire hopefuly it doesnt sink again.
D shackles short chains- 100s of uses like threading through rims and around tyres for extra traction
Axe or saw - cut rails etc layin enough small sticks across bad wheel tracks can carry it across
Shifter spanner- its amazing what you might pull off your vehicle or some rusting junker sitting in the bush to be repurposed for your recovery.

Being inventive works some of the time it also makes things worse some of the time and usually causes miner damage like marks on paint etc.

All in all the earlier you react when your vehicle becomes stuck the better your chances every revolution of the wheels is making it harder to get out so before you try to go back and forth reving it get out assess the situation maybe 5 minutes with a shovel or 5 min getting rocks or sticks will save 5 hours later.

In the case of the tonka truck above it looks like it just fell into soup.

Lets say it a days walk to phone service or civilisation its on a track only you know about and no one knows you are there ?.??? What now ? I hope other people add there method aswell. Its either hike out or get inventive.

Mine would be to try the rail method of raising the vehicle back to the surface because if it works it saves hours of jacking with standard jacks .the rope would do cut up to lash some rails if any solid ones could be found. At worst them side boards look tempting to be used as rails or even dug in long ways to get up on top , no doubt it will stuff em but it could still be cheap option , halving the tyre preasure may also aid in recovery to some point.

Just before you get stuck apply the brakes whilst driving and you'll get more drive to the non spinning wheel hopefully getting you through the bog.
Jon

Latest posts