CTX 3030 finds by Ramjet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had my first quick swing with the CTX after work this morning. Too early to make comments really but there are things I like and dislike about this detector but I will have to get more time on it to be fair.

1476925057_20161020_114720.jpg

1476925058_20161020_114756.jpg

Well, it looks like you can pluck the easy targets with it at least ,... they would have all sounded off on any second hand give away detector pretty easily too.
early days though hey ! 8) :D

Welcome to the CTX3030 group here RJ, the more you use it the more you will begin to like it and don't let the weight of the beast worry you too much, you might be surprised how quickly you become use to it.
SinHof.
PS: We might have to organise a 3030 get together for a swing at some convenient location, compare setting etc.

Goldpick said:
C'mon, spill the beans - inital thoughts are always important. ;)

Too tired n grumpy. ;) Might say something I'll regret. :p Don't like the ergonomics. The battery sticking out the back means I have to adjust my swinging style or I keep whacking myself with it. The tones are just wrong. Seem to be the same tone for good and bad targets. I just used the coin mode and I know I can adjust them to suit what I want.
Heath's comment about the coil cable getting pinched had me all paranoid but that is probably lack of sleep.
Pin pointing was good but the depth reading was erratic.

I reckon you will start to look like your avatar if you swing the 3030 as much as you go detecting ... it's a little heavy don't you think? And with a carbon fibre shaft to book - 3 hours is my limit with that detector!

Paulmarr said:
I reckon you will start to look like your avatar if you swing the 3030 as much as you go detecting ... it's a little heavy don't you think? And with a carbon fibre shaft to book - 3 hours is my limit with that detector!

Yeah it is heavy. One of the reasons I haven't bought one before. With my buggered wrist I don't know how long I can swing it. Keep the Deus in the car and if I get tired I can switch over. It will feel like a feather after the CTX. Minelab make great detectors but the ergonomic design and weight are a bit ordinary.

We'd at least have expected a couple a 47's in that amount of time, even if you were using divining rods. :lol:

Ramjet said:
Paulmarr said:

Yeah it is heavy. One of the reasons I haven't bought one before. With my buggered wrist I don't know how long I can swing it. Keep the Deus in the car and if I get tired I can switch over. It will feel like a feather after the CTX. Minelab make great detectors but the ergonomic design and weight are a bit ordinary.

I guess when you are looking for land mines and watching where you step ergonomics is the last thing on your mind ... :)

Blah, blah, blah

C'mon Ramjet, complaining about ergonomics......... :rolleyes:

The evidence is clear, it is a perfectly fitting machine, we can all see that you have been spooning with your CTX already. :8 The real question is whether you have shaken that '47 curse yet ;)

Wally69 said:
Blah, blah, blah

C'mon Ramjet, complaining about ergonomics......... :rolleyes:

The evidence is clear, it is a perfectly fitting machine, we can all see that you have been spooning with your CTX already. :8 The real question is whether you have shaken that '47 curse yet ;)

OK stop picking on me. 8.( 8.(

I did say I had been on night shift. Been awake over 26 hours now. 8) :8

I know not what I am saying. :p

you had to swap your pouch to the otherside, as the huge battery pack was bumping into it....ergonomic disaster! lol

rocketaroo said:
you had to swap your pouch to the otherside, as the huge battery pack was bumping into it....ergonomic disaster! lol

Yeah switched back to right handed detecting and the pouch back to where it started. Not sure if my buggered wrist will handle the weight.

Regarding the tones mate, make sure it's set to "combined" or "4 tone conductive" and not a "ferrous" tone profile for coin/park hunting.

It's a beast of a detector and will take a while to learn but it's worth persevering with. Have a good sleep and pick a day to learn just a couple of aspects of it, same as any other detector too, get a few known targets and do a bit of testing to get a feel for the tones and target ID's.

Don't worry too much about the coil cable either, if you don't flex it constantly it should be fine.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have trouble with anything.

Four penny's though is a decent start. :)

My first silver with the CTX on another short test hunt. :D As per Heath's advice above I switched to a Combined 4 tone profile which I prefer but it is just so very different from my other machines. It will take me a while to learn it but hey it's an enjoyable challenge.

Had a little chuckle to myself as I was talking to the video camera. I had just dug 2 x 1 cent pieces very close to each other and made the comment that if people had missed 1 cent pieces there would be thrips as well. BAM! only about a metre away I found my first silver. :D

1477028406_coinsa.jpg

1477028406_thrip1944.jpg

1477028406_trash.jpg

Poor old AT Pro will probably never see the light of day again! :D The FBS detectors are different, but good to fun to use once you find a tone setup to your liking, great start so far. :)

Thanks GP. I like gadgets and it has a lot of settings to play with. It will be interesting getting it to sing the way I want it too. Nothing today was very deep apart from the half penny at about 6 inches. Just nobody had swung a coil over them before.
I think I was too focused on that first, ferrous number to start with. I will sort it out eventually.

Latest posts