No Camping At Oallen Ford

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
It has happened.
Owing to some idiots doing the wrong thing and also Camping on private land,
Camping at Oallen has now been banned completely.
The Department was happy to allow Folk's like us to Camp for a few days as we were
showing the area the respect it deserved but now owing to a few senseless, Selfish idiots,
No more Camping.
I have been told that there were even people going through the fences and trespassing on
private property.
Not fair on those who do the right thing but I can not blame the authorities from doing this.
Another fun thing ruined by senseless acts from a minority of air wasters. :mad: :mad:
And the policy is being backed by regular patrols from the Local Police.

was there anything else said by these people about being Crown Land and about us being out there or are they going to stop that as well
can someone tell me about (or a link) crown land and how it effects us doing some prospecting ie: do we need to get permission and if so who off every where i look it seems to be different
my brain is going into overload

Prospecting through the day is quite fine.
They want us to go and enjoy the area for what it is for.

In NSW you are allowed to prospect on Crown Land.
Tricky bit is to find out if it has a lease on it.
Use Six Maps to view the area you are interested in.
With it open in front of you, Ring the crown Lands Office
closest to you and ask them by supplying the Lot Numbers
and portion numbers.
They will love you for doing it this way. :) :)
They will tell you if it has a tenancy on it.
Don't ask for any names or any info.
They are not allowed to tell you under the privacy act.

7.62marksman said:
was there anything else said by these people about being Crown Land and about us being out there or are they going to stop that as well
can someone tell me about (or a link) crown land and how it effects us doing some prospecting ie: do we need to get permission and if so who off every where i look it seems to be different

Under who's say. As council have no say in crown lands management as it's put aside by the crown for the people and managed by the state government, so this would have to be brought up in state government and would have go through a lengthy process before even being passed, and the public must have a right to opose the matter before anything is passed, which could take months

It is written in the constitution that, (Similar wording)
" A person may take their rest at the pleasure of the Queen on Crown Lands. "
Then it goes into the sub clauses about erecting a structure or staying for an extended period.

A lot of crown land around the state is managed by local counsils or other statutory authorities

I guess with a bit of agitation at the local and state level we could get a review of the camping situation but givern the mess made in the past by irresponsible campers, moterbikes, and some overly enthusiastic crevicing etc. The review might get us more than we bargined for.

Tathradj said:
I have been told that there were even people going through the fences and trespassing on
private property....

There's that self entitlement issue again. Seems to be an increasing problem.
Jon

You are spot on Cobber.
There is a Crown Lands Department in Goulburn who are managing this area.
I have more coming on the issue shortly. :)
Been making phone calls in the back ground.

Capertee gold said:
Under who's say. As council have no say in crown lands management as it's put aside by the crown for the people and managed by the state government, so this would have to be brought up in state government and would have go through a lengthy process before even being passed, and the public must have a right to opose the matter before anything is passed, which could take months

Thanks Tathradj champion effort there.
Great points made by all.
In future I'll be taking a harder stand to the idiotic behavior I see out there before the whole shows ruined

Tathradj said:
In NSW you are allowed to prospect on Crown Land.
Tricky bit is to find out if it has a lease on it.
Use Six Maps to view the area you are interested in.
With it open in front of you, Ring the crown Lands Office
closest to you and ask them by supplying the Lot Numbers
and portion numbers.
They will love you for doing it this way. :) :)
They will tell you if it has a tenancy on it.
Don't ask for any names or any info.
They are not allowed to tell you under the privacy act.

7.62marksman said:
In NSW you can fossick/prospect on Crown Land. If it's unmanaged Crown Land with no tenure than no permission is required.
As Tath said if it is leased you need to find out the leaseholder/s to gain permission. It is really no different to private property.
In NSW for Crown land that is managed, controlled or under trusteeship - the permission of the trustee or manager of that public or local authority is required also. To fossick on these lands the consent of the appropriate authority (e.g. Land and Property Management Authority, Forests NSW, local council, Local Land Services, Trustees of Commons) is required.
For NSW Fossicking Guidelines see here:
http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.g...ning-and-exploration-in-nsw/fossicking-in-nsw
Also see NSW Mining Act 1992 Section 12 Fossicking (2A) (a) (b)

Tathradj said:
You are spot on Cobber.
There is a Crown Lands Department in Goulburn who are managing this area.
I have more coming on the issue shortly. :)
Been making phone calls in the back ground.

Capertee gold said:

thanks Tath'

keep us posted .

i know whoever put the signs up wont give a rats but surely they cant persecute law abiding citizens because of the illegal actions of others ?

Capertee gold said:
Unfortunately not correct. Many Crown Land areas are managed or controlled by authorities such as local council, Local Land Services, NSW Forests etc. Others are under trusteeship like Commons i.e. Wattle Flat Common, Stuart Town Common & so on.

Bugger then !! Funny thing is under our Australia Constitution council's are illegal and shouldn't even exist
I'll see if I can find it so we can have a laugh about how our great government follow the rules that govern their actions ,
Just like the American Constitution it was not written as a guide line for the govrenmet , it was written to protect and give power to the people against such governments

Latest posts