GPX Specific Ground Balance

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this may be a stupid question.
On page 56 of my manual it go's through the procedure for ground balancing in specific, but what I don't know is do I leave the machine in specific and ground balance as normal or do I switch it back to General :8
lab

The specific ground balance is for big coils and very tricky ground, when you use it leave it in specific. I very rarely use it and find the standard GB procedure works 99% of the time.

DD

Have been wondering about GB in areas of higher magnetic intensity. Looking at the magnetic intensity map of NSW you can see certain goldfields are higher and others lower.

I'm wondering if a "Specific GB" would be better in such areas to keep a smoother threshold and better GB? Anyone use specific GB?

Thanks

Sorry mate i have no experience with Ground balance specific. Most of the ground i detect is variable, so i ruled out using it in my situation. Not only that i thought i didn't have enough experience on the machine to use this mode :)

No worries Roscoe, I'm going to give it a go next time I'm at this 1 spot which shows up as being a lot more magnetic, it's bang over the goldfield, anyway will try it just out of interest.

Does anyone in the Vic GT use Specific Ground Balance on their GPX?
I don't hear of anyone using it, but according to the 4500 user manual it is meant to be good for highly magnetic and iron rich soils.
If you do use it do you have to go through the whole Specific Ground Balance procedure, as described in the manual, every time you feel the need to ground balance?
Or can you use the Quick Track button to switch to Tracking, pump the coil up an down, and when stable release the Quick Track button to go back to Fixed. The user manual isn't very clear.
I've been thinking that with the very wet and highly variable ground at the moment I should be using it for better performance, but concerned why people don't seem to mention it.
May be there is a good reason that isn't explained in the manual.
Any insight appreciated.
Cheers

When moving to a new area the first
Specific Ground Balance must be done
with the Ground Balance switch not the
Quick-Track button.

It says that the "first" GB has to be done with the GB switch, I expect that subsequent GB's would be done with the quick track button as you remain in fixed after doing the first "specific" GB.

I have the perfect candidate of a spot to try Specific next time I'm there. The NSW magnetic survey shows this one goldfield as highly magnetic, most detectors really struggle there but there have been some good gold finds. It's pretty flogged out but the Specific GB could be a game changer there maybe. I'm keen to try it too, not many people ever mention using specific.

Guys, I've got to admit that I've never used it in around 4 years with the 4500. Might have to give it a crack when next out in some nasty ground which seems to be much of where I go in the GT.
Very interested in others' thoughts and experiences on this one. Thanks for bringing it up Dig'n-it.

Hi Heatho ....... You are right about the first GB to be done with the switch, and tend to agree that subsequent should be ok with the quick track.

Since my first post I reread the instructions and noticed that it says ideally Specific should only be used in uniform or non-variable ground which rules my thoughts of using it because of highly variable wet ground. Should of read the instructions more carefully in the first place.

However I'd still appreciate comment from anyone using Specific.

Cheers

You know when you are trying to GB and you are just pumping that last cm, and instead of going totally quiet the last bit of ground just goes off, or your ground balance goes out of whack??? If you've never experienced this then you are lucky. If you have experienced it, then this is a perfect time to use Specific.

Once you do the initial Specific balance with the switch, you can actually leave it in Tracking, as it tracks differently/slower. But yes, if the ground is variable, your ground balance will go out of whack faster than it would in General ground balance.

I have used it successfully in a few different areas over the years. If you could do the initial specific balance with the quick-track I think it would get used a lot more often.

Appreciate that no end. :) :)
I noticed the GB was a bit more whacky at Dunolly.
I myself did not really take notice of specific but had a
feeling about it as that was what I used to do with my old
GT1600.
Spend a bit of time Ground Balancing on a spot before starting
the hunt.

That's it. There's a few spots that come to mind where Specific GB did the trick and I found gold. Beggary Hills, a slope west of Blacksmiths gully Amherst, one little patch at Mountain Hut, and a big area in the Quarry Tk section of Talbot. I guess the other thing to do in these situations is go back to a DD coil.

Thanks Dig n It for bringing this up.
Also Thanks Phase Tech for clarifying. :) :)
It is a very good piece of information.

How do you find it?
Page 60 of the User Instructions says -
When moving to a new area the first Specific Ground Balance must be done with the Ground Balance Switch, not the Quick Track Button.
Does this mean you can use the Quick Track Button after you've done the first one?
I've never used Specific and wondering whether I should have been.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers

1532249643_special_ground_balance.jpg

Latest posts