Underground Mines - Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tote said:
So why use that method of sealing the shaft? To allow potential access at some point in the future.? I would have thought it would be easier to put a concrete cap on the shaft.

Regards,
Tote

There are future plans to make a tourist mine I believe.

magneticsand said:
SC75 said:
No worries dean.
The Sultana shaft is just off Cumming Ln at Barrys Reef, it's on private property but you can access it through the Tyrconnel Adit down in Long Gully off Flemings Ln.
There's a couple of pics on your 2nd page of a flooded Adit that looks like the Tyrconnel?

Thats gotta be a typo. Tyrconnel has no access unless you want to dig or scuba? And that would only be to grace not sultana?
The Tyrconnel adit does have access and it does run through Grace Egerton and on to the Sultana but at 500 metres there is a fault and its caved in.
Sorry dean i found out it was caved in at 500 metres but it was linked up to the Sultana at some time in the past.

SC75 said:
I was going to go out tomorrow and take some pics of the Tyrconnel adit but i just found a youtube clip on it.
https://youtu.be/6MArFPM3ukw

Great video with some good comments. Thanks for the link.

"I came across this adit today and sad to report it has a massive new galvanised gate bolted to the entrance. If anyone knows why is was shut off."

"Yeah i know, was put on about a month ago, is quite a shame. The mine
was fairly safe compared to most of the others in the area."

dean65 said:

I often daydreamed about digging out the collapse and/or pumping out the right. Oh well.

1496579923_img_20170525_111301549_hdr.jpg

No trip to Walhalla is complete without a visit to the LONG TUNNEL EXTENDED GOLD MINE. "Tours of the Long Tunnel Extended Mine are conducted every day of the year except Christmas Day. On weekends, public holidays and school holidays scheduled tours are conducted at 12:00 noon; 1:30pm and 3:00pm. On all other days tours are conducted at 1:30pm. Tour numbers are limited to 30 people per tour. No bookings are required however bookings can be made by phoning the Mine Office on 03-5165 6259 between 12:00 noon and 2:30pm or by email to [email protected]. If ever there are more numbers than can be accommodated on one tour, additional tours will be conducted no one is turned away."

magneticsand said:
dean65 said:

I often daydreamed about digging out the collapse and/or pumping out the right. Oh well.

it can be done but needs two blokes to do it carrying heavy hardwood timbers I've often wanted to do it but I live a fair way away from blackwood and since the new gate I don't think anyone can get into it.

A Warrandyte man discovered an underground shaft and side tunnel in his front yard in the early 1970s, after noticing a depression in the ground.

Warrandyte was founded as a Victorian town, located in the once gold-rich rolling hills east of Melbourne, and is now on the north-eastern boundary of suburban Melbourne. Gold was first discovered in the town in 1851 and together, with towns like Bendigo and Ballarat, led the way in gold discoveries during the Victorian gold rush. Today Warrandyte retains much of its past in its surviving buildings of the Colonial period and remains a twin community with North Warrandyte, which borders the Yarra River to its north.

stoyve said:
Gday Goldierocks,
It's really good of you to alert forum members of the many dangers in underground mine exploration.
But I thought I would let you know about Dean65 and the guys who go underground with him.
Dean is well practiced in this activity and uses a gas metre, also one of the team that goes with him is a very experienced miner who has been working underground in the Ballarat gold mine at Mt Clear.
He is very knowledgeable in every aspect of mine safety and always explains where and why there is a hazard.
For any other members of the forum who may be tempted to participate in this activity, BEWARE!!!
What may seem a benign or harmless mine maybe your last place on earth.
I have been going underground for nigh on 40 years and I never have or will take the dangers for granted.
Don't be tempted to go underground unless you go with someone who is knowledgeable and safety is there mantra.
Cheers Steve

Yes, I go underground a lot myself but have it checked by an experienced miner, although experienced myself from years underground in operating mines. My comments relate in particular to those without experience who may not appreciate the hazards and the need to test air, bar down loose hanging daily etc. Personally I don't think it a great recreational activity and would not encourage it for recreation, as there is always some risk even in a mine being worked full-time - I do it as part of my work because it is necessary. If you like going underground, I recommend joining a caving club rather than exploring old mines. Stability is better by far in caves, although not entirely without risk - lung diseases from bats (also in old mines) and rapid inflow of water during rainstorms are more the issue. But because caves don't involve blasting that opens up fractures everywhere, and because limestone takes a long time to dissolve to form tunnels etc, there is more time for roof and walls to equilibrate and be stable....also air is more likely to be better.

goldierocks said:
Yes, I go underground a lot myself but have it checked by an experienced miner, although experienced myself from years underground in operating mines. My comments relate in particular to those without experience who may not appreciate the hazards and the need to test air, bar down loose hanging daily etc. Personally I don't think it a great recreational activity and would not encourage it for recreation, as there is always some risk even in a mine being worked full-time - I do it as part of my work because it is necessary. If you like going underground, I recommend joining a caving club rather than exploring old mines. Stability is better by far in caves, although not entirely without risk - lung diseases from bats (also in old mines) and rapid inflow of water during rainstorms are more the issue. But because caves don't involve blasting that opens up fractures everywhere, and because limestone takes a long time to dissolve to form tunnels etc, there is more time for roof and walls to equilibrate and be stable....also air is more likely to be better.

Lung diseases from bats (also in old mines) - "Acute pulmonary histoplasmosis is a respiratory infection that is caused by inhaling the spores of the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum." You can get sick when you breathe in spores that the fungus produces. Every year, thousands of people with a normal immune system worldwide are infected, but most do not become seriously sick. Most have no symptoms or have only a mild flu-like illness and recover without any treatment. It is commonly found in the soil in river valleys. It gets into the soil mostly from bird and bat droppings. If you encounter bats in old mines you need to exercise caution and wash your hands as soon as possible. In spite of the potential risks involved in mine exploration, the danger to the experienced mine explorer is relatively low: the majority of accidents involve people who are unprepared. As such we advise the general public not to enter abandoned mines and to exercise great caution around old mine shafts.

I live two houses down from him in Warrandyte and have a large fish pond fed from roof gutters. Whenever it rains full-on, the pond overflows but the water floods over the side and disappears into the rock-hard ground with no flooding of the surrounding area. It's the same distance from the road as his mine shaft, so I always figured that the pond was probably capping a mineshaft as well.

BigWave said:
I live two houses down from him in Warrandyte and have a large fish pond fed from roof gutters. Whenever it rains full-on, the pond overflows but the water floods over the side and disappears into the rock-hard ground with no flooding of the surrounding area. It's the same distance from the road as his mine shaft, so I always figured that the pond was probably capping a mineshaft as well.
Thats intriguing BW, you could be sitting on top of a gold mine there.
Which is a lot more interesting then our place in Lake Mac surounded by coal mines.
Digging garden beds years back, we dug up a lot of coal like rocks which are very commen in the area.
When the kids where much younger and played up before Christmas Leila and I wrapped up a few pieces in Christmas paper and left them under the tree for the two kids to open Christmas morning :eek:
They stil haven't forgotten that Christmas ]:D

goldierocks said:
stoyve said:
Gday Goldierocks,
It's really good of you to alert forum members of the many dangers in underground mine exploration.
But I thought I would let you know about Dean65 and the guys who go underground with him.
Dean is well practiced in this activity and uses a gas metre, also one of the team that goes with him is a very experienced miner who has been working underground in the Ballarat gold mine at Mt Clear.
He is very knowledgeable in every aspect of mine safety and always explains where and why there is a hazard.
For any other members of the forum who may be tempted to participate in this activity, BEWARE!!!
What may seem a benign or harmless mine maybe your last place on earth.
I have been going underground for nigh on 40 years and I never have or will take the dangers for granted.
Don't be tempted to go underground unless you go with someone who is knowledgeable and safety is there mantra.
Cheers Steve

also don't forget that you would run into lots of bat crap too being a caver and you should know the risks of that as well. and another thing too is the limestone its not perfectly safe in fact you often can't see the cracks in the roof because of the calcium carbonate hides it very well until it all comes down suddenly a least in mines you can generally see cracks in the strata

BigWave said:

That fountain looks like a real bastard to move though mate!

Latest posts