12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Back into it today after few days off, last day was the 17x11 Elite first run 31st Jan with that piece of gold. Then Feb 1st testing the Elite Coils Comparison Results and too hot to get out.

Well today nice weather change so I hit the fields to see if I could start off a good February. After arriving at location Day 35 Now at the Gold Hole area. I ventured away from the main area where I have been working and hit some new grounds, really good deep targets operating in a Normal General mode. After a couple of hours I ventured back towards my main area to a lower section where I havent swung yet.

Switched back to an Enhance Soil timing and concentrating for the signals that dont jump out, we all know a dig signal that screams and we wont miss them, so we focus on everything else. I hit a couple checked in various soil timings, normal deep etc with no luck. Again back to Enhance and the signals were there.

1st Buck Shot

Second Gold

Third Gold

Fourth Gold

Fifth Gold - after arriving home to check the fifth piece which was trapped between quartz and calcrete.

1486294315_pic_0618.jpg

1486294327_3_pieces.jpg

1486294344_pic_0623.jpg

1486294344_pic_0624.jpg

1486294344_pic_0626.jpg

1486294344_pic_0627.jpg

1486294344_pic_0628.jpg

1486294356_pic_0629.jpg

1486294356_pic_0630.jpg

0.20 Grams - 4 Inches
0.25 Grams - 5 Inches
0.47 Grams - 6 1/2 Inches
0.65 Grams - 7 1/2 Inches

Total Grams 1.57

Was a great day except when the heavens opened up and no where to cover. Bit of rain never hurt anyone did it? Best thing was the flies disappeared

Minelab Gold said:
Ridge Runner said:
Well done MG, That long flat one looks like a thong without the straps on it, Lol.

John.

It does too. Nice one - Im guessing thats a thong for the foot yeah Haha

Cheers

Yeah the foot type, If it was the other type you might of stayed out there a bit longer Administering first Aid to the Lady who lost it, That Sun Burn is a terrible thing aye, lol.

John.

Thanks guys for your enthusiasm of my minute find , yes i was happy to find it because it means , I am finding gold my old 2100 would never have seen. Yesterday We went out with the PMAV on their monthly outing and i had the GPZ and wife had her GPX4500 ,I called her over to test a target i had clear as a bell , but it started off as a warble and i had scraped the dirt a bit , I showed her the target and she agreed she could hear it fine , then she had a go with her detector and could not get any reading on it at all , So i dug the target which turned out to be lead shot at about 3 inches . I continued all day pulling out shot about 30 or so . wife got 2 gold and one of the other guys using an sdc got lots of tiny bits . I went over where he had been and continued to dig deep lead shot , got to the point where i thought my detector might be set for lead lol

cheers Ronk

Hi Ronk did you have a look at the settings on your wife 4500 over the target she couldn't get ?? maybe you should have a look at MG tests he did on the coils ,I have watch it a couple of time and will be changing my settings next time I go out as I am sure I have been walking over gold and not getting a signal because of how I have been running my 4500 .Just a thought and remember if she is getting gold more time in the bush lol .PP

Pirate pete said:
Hi Ronk did you have a look at the settings on your wife 4500 over the target she couldn't get ?? maybe you should have a look at MG tests he did on the coils ,I have watch it a couple of time and will be changing my settings next time I go out as I am sure I have been walking over gold and not getting a signal because of how I have been running my 4500 .Just a thought and remember if she is getting gold more time in the bush lol .PP
we will look at that again today thanks
cheers Ron

What happens when you setup a second test area in Enhance mode? Dont answer this let me tell you all.

Hi Guys firstly I would like to let you all know that I went out for some testing today. I wanted to test out the Detech coil on the GPX 4500 in the test area which I have previously setup and run most of my tests.

When I first picked the area I cleaned the grounds, I used the 11" and 14" Elite and various modes to ensure depth and sensitivity to ensure there were no targets in the ground prior to digging the 5 holes for the 1 gram pieces of lead, 150mm 170mm 190mm 200mm and 230mm.

So after I finished setting this ground up it proved really good for some basic testing.

With the second 2 targets in the other test area 0.6gram lead and 0.2gram lead - I used the 17x11" Elite but only in enhance mode.

I think you can guess what happened today

So lets go back to the start - I took the Detech Coil out for testing today, it couldnt see the 0.2g at 18mm to 20mm depth, the Detech also struggled on the 0.6g lead at 108mm - where the Elite 11" and 14" and 17x11" all seen these. The Detech 15" Ultimate Spiral is a great coil dont get me wrong, it has its place in the fields :)

As I was moving slowly forwards into the sweet spot of the Detech - I had a noise coming on just before the small 0.2g Lead

After digging it out OMG - Gold - how ironic is that chose a test area and there is gold. Just goes to show test with Enhance and Normal General Deep to ensure that the grounds are clean. I have found gold many times in and around this area, but pretty funny that there is gold only 100mm back from the 0.2g test target.

1. Check out the markers on the ground, I circled red for the shallow marker - the other marker I had moved it away from the area. See how close to the test target the gold was.
1486466187_pic_0631.jpg

1486466187_pic_0632.jpg

1486466187_pic_0633.jpg

1486466188_pic_0634.jpg

1486466188_pic_0635.jpg

1486466301_pic_0636.jpg

Now we all know that Gold is higher up on the conductivity table compared to lead, so getting the 0.55 gram piece of gold wasnt a surprise at 8 inches with the Detech but annoyed me that I didnt scan the grounds with the 11" Elite in Normal Prior - Now I will need to test the Elites VS Detech, As you can see from the tests - Detech 0.6gram Lead 108mm Depth Zero - Detech 0.55 Gram Gold 8 Inches No Probs

Logic says the Elites will outperform the DD Spiral in Mild to Below Mild

DD would kill it in Above a mild to hot grounds only because of the dull settings required to run a Mono in those grounds.

Mono will kill DD's on small gold in Hot Grounds - due to needing a dull setting. Im talking Magnetic Iron's if you have a dull setting enhance would get a better result than a DD for small gold because A mono is more sensitive.

So after this I thought to test against the 14" Elite and 11" Elite - well I will need to capture this on film and put together a comparison 110% Accurate with the results from the Elite 11" and 14" against the Detech 15" Ultimate

All I can say is some may be pretty amazed with the results, compared to some past test results I have seen that appeared not very well put together in the testing. The other issue is to get the optimum performance out of a coil some settings are changed to get the best results to ensure depth and stability with the grounds. So many variables come into play on a test, point here is if we use the same setting on Mono and DD then its not a true performance test only a comparison test.

Cant wait hope you guys get something out of the tests.

Anyway after this happened today I was shaking my head - damn gold near my test area lol.

After I worked further along another section, only 20 or so meters away from my test area, thats why I chose this spot because its away from the main workings, roughly 30 or 40 meters away, and the grounds have a mixtures in close proximity with, low mineral quiet grounds, changing through to mild and hot patches, along with high mineralized clays. Absolute perfect for tuning and testing with targets. Means I dont have to walk far to test between mineralized grounds.

Anyway sorry about that keep getting side tracked guys, ok back to the other target 20 meters away - still using the Detech Ultimate 15 - double target this one, first target 12-13 inches deep, gravels about 100mm then into red clay and a nice piece of rust.

Second target only 150mm further up - this thing was close to 10 inches - Mmmm nice looking target this one - Detech Strikes again, its just great when you intentions are to go out and test a coil with various grounds, settings, and test area - enjoying the day so much, just great to be out in the fields with no expectations, which normally i dont have expectations on gold, but more so I at least expect to find a target.

2. Check this one out - Couldnt wait to clean it to see what it looked like
1486466051_pic_0637.jpg

1486466051_pic_0638.jpg

1486466051_pic_0639.jpg

1486466051_pic_0640.jpg

1486466051_pic_0642.jpg

3. After cleaning the Gold - looks pretty nice, some inclusions throughout
1486466279_pic_0650.jpg

1486466279_pic_0651.jpg

1486466279_pic_0652.jpg

1486466279_pic_0653.jpg

1486466279_pic_0654.jpg

Target 1 - 0.55grams
Target 2 - 1.25 grams

Total Grams 1.8 - not bad for a test day

Hope you enjoy the finds and the story - another adventure in the fields. Weather was excellent

Cheers M.G

Allways Looking said:
Boy you must get really upset when all that gold gets in the way of your test targets !!!!
I should do more testing I think lol
Can't wait for your video

Thanks AL,

Truly a moment in the fields I will never forget mate.

Regards M.G

Hi MG
I've been following your posts and watching all your videos. Great work! Thanks for the effort and sharing.

I'll be interested to see your video comparison of the Ultimate DD versus the 14" Mono (as they are close in size) and your verdict particularly in the hot ground. It will be interesting to compare stability versus depth. The question being do you stick with the mono and dumb it down or switch to a DD with potentially deeper punching soil timings, higher gain, higher stability, and less audio smoothing or any combination of these. There are so many variables.

Whilst you would think that the DD Ultimate would be quieter in noisy ground I have found that with the newer more sensitive flat windings there is not a lot if difference in stability between the DD Ultimate and 15 Evo I run. I'll be interested in hearing about your comparison.

I heard in some of your videos very noisy ground particularly when you switched out of enhance to get extra depth. I know it's a trade off. Obviously if you were patch hunting you couldn't confidently work with such high instability, but if cleaning out a patch and you've tried different settings and have a good sense of the ground conditions you can. I believe this is a point you are making.
I look forward to watching/reading your next instalment. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts