12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MG,

Thanks for the response - and taking the time to respond in such detail. I will post some bandaids for the bleeding fingers ;)

Thanks for the YouTube link too - didn't know you had one but will certainly take the time to have a watch.

And I've certainly read your thread from cover to cover - cranky wife for that few nights.

I can appreciate the time that people spend to find what they video and place on YouTube and certainly don't want to see the video of every minute they are prospecting or know where they are prospecting. Happy to do the hard yards to find gold bearing dirt that is still going to give up a few grams.

It is just that reading the old diggings, how they were working the dirt, what type of gold they would have been getting - and things you mentioned like types of gravels, a bit of rock geology, etc. In the end there is probably just too much to put in a vid and there is also the aspect that such knowldege probably shouldn't be handed out on a platter. Half the fun is in the learning and there is more satisfaction when that knowledge is all pulled together for success.

Thanks again for the YouTube link.

Where shall I send the bandaids to? :D :D

Northeast.

Hi Guys,

Went out today at roughly 7:00pm - to video something in the fields.

While I was there and completed what I needed, why not swing until daylight has gone.

Well last target was getting to that point where the darkness was approaching, and nothing worse than copping a face full of spider web. Also knowing this area like the back of my hand, I know that there are no mine shafts - all surface shallow workings.

The first target was a nice smooth solid signal very noticeable - the second target again very noticeable - but that one was a big piece of rust about 2 feet deep.

Third target which was the last - wow this thing only just pulled me up, after a scratch. The sound was very wobbly, not sure if you guys have had it before where charcoal gives that little sharp wobbly response. Or maybe a thin piece of wire - similar to this response.

Anyway check these out for a short time out. Also inspected a few of the general ground noises from the odd hot spot.

1483527573_pic_0844.jpg

1483527573_pic_0845.jpg

1483527573_pic_0846.jpg

1483527573_pic_0851.jpg

First one was the iron ball, with the slightest glimmer of yellow poking out - need to crack that one

Second target - I place back in the hole after it was out to replicate the sound, flat was nice and solid - sideways which was more wirey gave that same response as it was, before digging.
1483527573_pic_0852.jpg

1483527585_pic_0853.jpg

Pretty cool for a quick swing.

Enjoy

HI MG I think you could find gold in a lead factory lol well done mate great little vidio as well, shows why we have to did every target .

Hi MG, those couple of ground noise vids helped me immensely today. I was trying to tune into the threshold changes outside of the weewah ground noise and I reckon at least 80% of those that I dug, and there were quite a few of them, ended up as actual targets... none gold though unfortunately. Thanks again.

Hi Minelab Gold

I've only just dipped my toes in the gold detecting water (been on a tour and also hired a detector for a day) I have come across this thread and feel I have learned so much. I'm in ballarat and really disappointed I missed your training days last year. I'm down the coast with my family atm, all I want to do is get out in the bush exploring. I'm finally got up to date with the thread (and planning on reading back over it) the great thing for me as I don't own a detector I can spend some time locally out in the bush reading the land and not be tempted to swing a detector.

I echo all the comments by people to date thank you so much for sharing your information and journey. If I get a chance and your doing a training day this year I'd be keen to add my name to the list.

I like while not being out in the field I can dive head first into the research section of prospecting and really appreciate the information you have provided and shared and the bonus for me is its all current. Just need proper internet access to check out your videos :)

Thanks again and please keep up the great work here & in the field.

Thanks MP34,

Glad you are on this forum, there are many great and wonderful people in this big family on Prospecting Australia.

Which machine did you hire?

When I was operating the GP3000 - excellent machine when it was released - found plenty of gold, upgraded to GP3500 and used for many years. Again found plenty only from pure diligence.

Knowing and understanding the machines is crucial. On ground changes using the machine to its potential in every single environment, this ensures you have the machine running at maximum capacity for any given day, time or ground type. GP's were quite an easy machine, the way they talked and the sounds from the analogue machines were quite the thing.

Now with the Digital - the GPX is great technology, being able to increase or decrease the input gain or even the pulse length for extreme tuning settings for the grounds is absolutely great. Just the little things with these GPX machines that could mean the difference from losing depth or gaining based on the grounds.

To have a coil that punches 30% deeper than its predecessors (Coiltek Elite) and mixing this with the combination of the GPX and knowing how to use the machine based on the conditions, we are armed with something amazing. And the gain and pulses, we can now get 30% to 33% deeper penetration in the right soil condition by simply adjusting a setting which wasnt available previously. Now we can energize the coils better for deeper larger gold just with the flick and and couple of tweaks. It just takes some people a bit to get use to the functions if they dont fully understand the use or what the function actually does.

If using the GPX Series, think of the Enhance Setting as an easy to use lets get rid of all these hot sounds, less ground saturation, quiet everything down but will still find gold. Like a Turbo Charged 4 Cylinder Engine

Now think of the General Setting as a switch that energizes the coil a lot better, much like a V8 Twin Turbo big horsepower engine. Bigger gold deeper, a slight reduction for less saturation and maybe a Sens Smooth and off we go - now a setting that is working for us and hitting gold that couldn't be seen before from every operator who has been over the goldfields with a GPX only operating in Enhance. (Not sure what I will call the GPZ7000 now - Maybe a Jet Engine)

Get to know and understand the settings and the way it talks to you with the grounds and targets :) - you will do great

What do they say to make a sale, GOLD DETECTOR + GOLD MAP = GOLD

I explained to our group members thats not true - of course it can happen some people get lucky but those things are just the tools for the trade to help us find gold, its everything else that you need to fill in to find the good stuff.

_ + _ + _ + _ + _ = Gold

Enjoy your time down by the sea.

Regards M.G

Hi Guys,

Went out late yesterday to get some filming done, just to revisit the faint signals video.

Still trying to get the volume on the Video's adjusted taking music out and other ways to try to show some people these, the hardest thing is in the field I may hear a break in threshold, hah I tried to film this - pretty crazy to make a video on this, because I could hear the break in headphones but there was no way that the external speaker with all outside noise could even show this.

I have a JVC GC-PX100 - this camera has headphone jack and also microphone jack for the addon of a bigger external microphone. I was going to test running the detector headphone into the microphone input through the camera and the headphone out into little earbuds or whichever headphones - hoping that this would record only detector sound and nothing inferior.
1483674488_jvc_gc-px100.jpg

But after testing the microphone jack on the Camera it actually has a 3.7v reading - which is odd because the external mic has its own built in battery supply and switch - so I dont want to risk 1. damaging the camera, 2. Damaging the Detector or 3 Both - pretty expensive exercise.

Logic says though - Mic In Headphone Out I should be able to run through it - bit more investigation I think. ANYONE?

Some of the earlier video's I was only using the headphones but the most recent are External Speaker so you can all hear the sounds better.

Short story long, let me tell you that I found some excellent very faint signals by the use of headphones, Volume and Target Volume 17 and 17 - I like things loud - when I put the External in I couldnt hear these sounds. Put the earbuds in and couldnt hear these sounds, funny thing with the Earbuds as well, after being so use to the exact threshold setting and the nice buzzing or humming of the threshold, who knows if people are having threshold set too high when they use earbuds.

So trying to film a video with the faintest sounds becomes a challenge. Its either you hear it or you dont.

Now thats where this next video should be good - I have 10 targets in the ground, running over them from highest to lowest which is just on response for the lowest.

Maybe some people might say they can hear the targets up until number 8 who knows.

Number 11 target will be surprising to a lot of operators - I think it will anyway.

Anyway - was a bit hot yesterday and appears maybe a couple of days - so I will try to get this footage for you all.

After getting out yesterday for a brief moment - no gold but check this one out.

Straight out of the ground - no Tarnish - Non ferrous - Just beautiful - More rare than Gold
1483674274_thu_jan_05_22-07-33.jpg

1483674274_thu_jan_05_22-07-49.jpg

1483674274_thu_jan_05_22-08-06.jpg

1483674274_thu_jan_05_22-08-26.jpg

1483674274_thu_jan_05_22-09-35.jpg

1483674303_thu_jan_05_22-10-47.jpg

Not too bad on that one.

Cheers M.G

Hi Heatho,

I havent tested. I have found 3 similar some larger than this one. And all turned out to be silver, one with very visible copper and iron inclusion,

I also found one piece as a native silver gold specimen, but the gold was minuscule on the surface. Visible by eye but majority was encased

Its a pretty unique little piece, with the other minerals you can see, and the egg like appearance and looks to have a broken shell piece missing exposing another level.

I might clean it up, this was straight out of the ground with only the slightest rub to remove the dirt.

Cheers

Thanks for the post - much appreciated.

In my area, I was explaining to another member. I operate in Enhance mode, as the day changes if the machines starts to smooth out I will up the RX 1 increment then stabilizer 1 increment.

Because the GPX has finer adjustment and various soil timings over the GP Series - I find that the stabilizer is excellent and can be tweaked to gain maximum performance for the end result or smaller targets - compared to GP Series - Stab is much like a fine adjustment of the audio profile

My highest setting in this area with maintaining stability has been RX 12 - but that was only briefly. Until it had slight chatter.

My usual is RX 10 - even getting as low as 7 on RX which was maybe for a couple of hours throughout the day.

If I had to say what the majority has been or an average for my area - it would be RX 9 Stab 7

All other settings I dont change, Volume, Target Volume is 17 for both - maybe a slight threshold adjustment as the day changes. I will check my machine and post up some settings, which I have mostly operated in.

I usually adjust RX and Stab on average a few times throughout the day. Not so much constantly changing due to soil conditions but more so to help stabilize the threshold. Soil would just be G/B or inspect

When I find targets though, before digging them out, I will stand there and run through a few of the settings to listen for the different response. Whether I can mask the sound out from the settings or increase its response.

Especially those little faint signals. RX can bring them to a more defined response.

Great way to also see when the target is out - size depth and how the detector/coil responded and if we were able to increase its response.

I have a couple of other video's being uploaded shortly.

1. Part 1 - Balancing in hot grounds

2. Part 2 - Working through hot grounds

3. Balancing out gold targets

And I will look to get out and setup a target depth response and film this as well, I will setup 10 or so same size targets, starting from surface to threshold limit. Almost break in threshold If I can. Then I will run through some settings, to see if we can get this break in threshold, to turn into a good response, just by tweaking the settings.

Regards M.G[/quote

Hi MG,
I Would love to get out for a day with you to gain some of your expertise.
I'm not interested in your grounds as I have my own grounds that I know will pay up if I can tweak my own skills per say!

I would gladly pay you for your time and instruction.

Regards
Col

Hi Yellow Fever,

I have included your username into the list. I will shoot through a message for times when this years date will be for a day/days out. For a one on one day that can also be arranged no probs at all. Could cover a lot more with you. Just have to get some things out the way, and all goes well then its all uphill at a very fast rate.

Harry Houdini - I wish there were multiple sometimes, so much to do in such little time.

Cheers guys - as long as a little inspiration and knowledge can bring a slight glimmer of hope, and goes a long way to get that big glimmer of Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts