12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another great read minelab gold :D
I find this very interesting and helpfull, i am currently planning my first real trip, 2 weeks across the nullarbor in WA gold feilds.
Researching and planning is half the fun of this hobby, guess gold will be a welcome bonus.
This has helped me and i am sure many others. Thanks !

Wow. Fantastic informative post for a newbie like me. Will definitely keep my eyes peeled the next time I'm out in the field. Thanks again Minelab Gold.

LORD said:
Another great read minelab gold :D
I find this very interesting and helpfull, i am currently planning my first real trip, 2 weeks across the nullarbor in WA gold feilds.
Researching and planning is half the fun of this hobby, guess gold will be a welcome bonus.
This has helped me and i am sure many others. Thanks !

Thanks Lord,

All the best on your big adventure in the West - look forward to reading an adventurous thread on here :)

this thead is not just for newbees, I have found it very interesting and have also learned a thing or two. they say in life you never stop learning and that true for prospecting too. I am sure I will be coming back to this thread time and time again. thanks M.G.

Remarkable effort Minicab G and most informative posts. I can appreciate the time you have put into these posts and like others I will re-read and compare to the areas near me.
Have you ever thought of day tours for those who could share your knowledge?
Keep up the good work. ;)

Pig Iron said:
Remarkable effort Minicab G and most informative posts. I can appreciate the time you have put into these posts and like others I will re-read and compare to the areas near me.
Have you ever thought of day tours for those who could share your knowledge?
Keep up the good work. ;)

Hi Pig Iron,

Hopefully I can capture some very informative in field experiences and knowledge here within Prospecting Australia - I think sharing knowledge is an excellent way for the times we are in, having access to the internet etc - one thing with the internet the material is not forever available - all's it takes is for the web page to become non existent or material removed and it will never be available - I like to save as much as I can while its available in folders for future reference :)

You can't beat previous experience and many of the old timers real life battles and stories in the field have been lost in generations. If I can share my experiences then hopefully it can help others.

Obviously theory is great but prac is much better - anyone that is interested in tuning their skills in the field - I always go out and would be great to help anyone looking to gain some extra in field knowledge - as for day tours never crossed my mind

Nothing like experiential learning to pass on to others. You seem to have the opportunity to take interested parties into the field and give them the start ups to pursue this wonderful activity. Anyway food for thought. Keep posting.

Hi All,

Ever walked along and noticed a lot of quartz and you immediately think gold, How many times have you said these words "Oh quartz there's gotta be gold, doesnt there" or "How can there be all of this quartz and no gold" remember not all gold is found with quartz but often is. There is not one indicator that immediately gives us the sign of gold, how cool would that be though, if there was one indication then no doubt we wouldnt be finding any at all these days - gold is found almost every where, in sea water, igneous volcanic hydro-thermal veins, alluvial creeks riverbeds, mountains, many different host rock types. Its found almost everywhere but at what depth Could be a sunbaker on the surface or it could even be 3km under your feet

What does this tell us - all this information and no clear indication - I will tell you a good way to start - look at it like a round of golf. Golf he says, yeah right we arent playing golf here mate we are prospecting keep your golf stories to yourself

Home ground advantage - when your playing at your home ground you know all the slopes, contours, hills, waterways, sand traps - your game should be better than someone traveling in - well at least you should have a better advantage

Much like the goldfields lets say you live in the gold town of Maryborough - you have been prospecting for many years and had exceptional finds, you then travel to another district and seems that others have found some good gold but you are struggling to make sense of the grounds and you leave the area disappointed - its because gold is almost found everywhere but in different host rocks for that particular area, what works well in your district may not in another. In saying this also remember all the days you didnt find Gold at your home town and then when you only take a 1 day search in another district dont think that its was worthless and never go back - lets say you spent 6 hours in another town - thats not much at all, this is where psychology plays a big parts in the search

Gold deposits vary in many area's - if your on a mountain and there is a quartz reef and has gold, then if you also find a quartz reef say 2km away in another mountain range then the possibilities are great, If you travel a far distance away then not always does quartz reef have gold, most quartz has microns but we need the ounces in the reef

Get to know the area that you are traveling to, lets say you want to take a trip to Maryborough Vic - you have no understanding of the main indicators, are there any main indicators YES Most definitely - again go back to the district you are going to not from, there are many types of host rocks associated with gold the main term is "favorable Host Rock" not all host rock. Keeping in mind the difference between free gold alluvial which has been deposited in flats lower lying areas gullies rivers and river beds from waves and currents, where as gold in host rock is the primary gold, large alluvial deposits are almost always found in the gully type lower lying area's with scattered deposits near these area's

Some area's around Maryborough consists of sedimentary mudstone, slates and sandstone. Harder metamorphic rocks and sandstones also protrude as clusters with flat surrounding landscape. Granite intrusions also occur and often appear as clusters of huge boulders, Gold-bearing quartz reefs lie within the ancient sediments

Soils of the region are generally shallow and derived from the Ordovician era 500 million years ago when ocean covered the area, the base rock lies close to the ground surface - fair to say that we have a basic understanding of the geological makeup of this area, now compare this with your local geological makeup - wow some similarities but not many

This next section I will try to explain in a very easy to understand terminology so when your in the field you can understand when all these waves and current were going on with stream flowing crazy - how things would have moved

Its also fair to say Gold weighs a lot and has a density of 19.32 or 19,320kg/m3 - not the heaviest but right up there, and Water is 1000 kg/m3 - so gold is close to 19 times more dense than water, alluvial gold over a lot of time under water currents would have worked its way down to a solid bottom or bedrock its that dense it would have remained there for millions of years - still there in many places today for us to find

When you think of the amount of water that was covering the earth and moving large amounts of material heaviest to the lowest spots and lightest material just kept going until sea levels dropped - now look at this chart and compare these materials which we all know of its existence - possibly most of us have handled this material or will do when you take your first prospecting trip

Wow Gold is way heavier or dense I should say than these materials and water - Gold will find a very hard platform to rest when exposed in water
1475585251_density_chart.jpg

When we try to picture this massive event sea levels dropping and then we get extreme rivers take the widest river and multiply it by 10, that is large volumes of water. Looking at the bigger picture when you think about tectonic plates the earth breaking apart and over millions of years continents slowly moving, volcanic eruptions covering parts of the land with different minerals wowo

Fault lines, lineaments etc - geological studies have shown and the miners finding gold near these fault lines, big mining companies drilling down near these lineaments where 2 lineaments meet - so 90% of the gold is still in the ground after the big gold rush days in the mid 1800's - whats a measly 1.9million kg's of gold recorded from the Vic Gold fields from 1851 to 1896 - thats recorded Gold just to think all the extra that wasnt recorded

Now the Geologist say that even up until this current date that there is still 90% of the current recorded gold still in the grounds - Mmmm thanks Geologist's just what we all need to know that those rich gullies are still obtainable - big mining companies still have more hope, easy for geologist to say this based on their findings, just how deep is this 90%

What keeps us going is the informative knowledge advice and inspirational stories, like the pair of amateur prospectors in 2008 who discovered a Gold reef and dug out over 1million in gold then sold the reef, or the guy who unearthed the 4.1kg Nugget recently and another near wedderburn weighing 87 ounces - brings a smile to your face - of course we all say things after reading these recent finds - but it brings hope to all

We all know they are still obtainable its just a matter of finding that 1 foot x 1 foot patch of ground with your name on it screaming eureka. Or maybe many 1 foot x 1 foot pieces of ground to hear that sound in your ears humming away with the the sound of minerals to be unearthed - that being GOLD Mineral

So in a nutshell on this earlier post - dont just think if you see quartz ironstone red clays mineralized ground pyrites slates sandstones granites gravel auriferous wash in one location that it is the same in others - study each area then go hit it

If you have someone in that area that can share their knowledge of the area and take you out to some spots they found gold, then thats a big step forward - if you have to do it on your own then study up on the geological formations of the area, look at the gold maps, in each gully or worked area make notes of your own on the ground and geological makeup - pickup rocks study them

Go to different gullies and workings in the area to get an understanding of the geology - its all good to talk with someone in the area if the knowledge is sound. Like the old days just think that if you asked a miner where the gold is what do you think he would tell you Hah yeah like I am going to walk 100 miles when you are right here standing in front of me. In more modern times who knows if the trust is sure???

Its easy for me to tell you go look in the Enfield State Park - Look how big this place is, much like if someone said Go to W.A, thats a big place and what a start I have yeah lets go to W.A - unless you have specific knowledge of the area or area's of interest then it will take much more time in search - If I am 51% sure on the probability then I am in for sure - you can't tell me that you know someone who can tell you where an exact spot is in the ground which has a high probability of gold - I am talking the probability being 100% :) Can you?? Makes you think

1475583506_enfield.jpg

Dont swing blind - try to increase your probability - gain knowledge, explore then prospect

Again its all good if someone shows you various spots but there is no better feeling than digging out Gold while prospecting - thats why we are out there in the search - everything else is just a bonus

Minelab Gold,

Very informative posts...
Thank you very much for imparting knowledge to all here on the forum...
Myself included we never stop learning ...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Hey all,

Just thought I would update post with some exploration work,

Heading out to a site today with the following details - If I see some interesting finds I will take some pictures and post them up for you

Site is Primary - Vein Hosted - Gold Quartz and Iron Pyrite - Apparently Open Cut with gullies just down from this which had Alluvial deposits

I was going to pull the pin on detecting but your info has inspired me too persist locality is not the best

Thanks may your kindness be returned in droves

As mentioned in previous post - I went out to explore an area and found some rocks of interest

Apparently there was an open cut mine but I couldnt find it - maybe its farm land now and has been covered over, the details that I had were close to the fence line of the bush where it meets private land - in searching the grounds I found signs of Quartz, Ironstone, Mineralized Quartz, Schist, Limenites, Quartz veins in schist very mineralized, iron pyrite, iron pyrite crystals - so the area was indeed as mentioned in the geological studies or the area

Another thing to keep an eye on which many know - but for those who don't tree's can also bring gold up as they grow - keep a good look at the different rocks/minerals that the tree's bring up with them - good when your walking through the bush instead of digging holes the trees can show you whats in the ground just below surface

1. After walking around exploring I eventuated down into the gully where the 2 hills meet - see below image when we see large round test holes spread apart and not very frequent it shows us that their is gold here - the main gully as we know had the highest concentration levels which is why it was mined - these test holes become more frequent and close together as the area's were more rich and these holes are the signs of miners trying to find a lead shooting off the main
1475664206_pic_0121.jpg

1475664220_pic_0122.jpg

2. As I walked further down the gully I noticed test holes along the sides were not getting too much more frequent but some sections with shelf type area's on the sides of the gullies - I check these area - while looking across the other side I noticed a highly mineralized red soil area which seemed to be a more worked area, also noticing signs of conglomerate and in the bottom of the gully you can see the miners hit the rock bottom in area's where there is exposed bedrock, conglomerate, schist and quartz reefs
1475664589_pic_0123.jpg

1475664603_pic_0124.jpg

1475664620_pic_0125.jpg

3. See in these images the gully bottom with the conglomerate and schist with quartz
1475664816_pic_0127.jpg

1475664829_pic_0128.jpg

4. Eventually I worked my way down the gully exploring some more and swinging away and found a good area to cross over, further down the gully split into 2 - basically 2 coming into a point back into 1 gully - remember alluvial gold in water flowing fast the gold always find the path of least resistance due to the weight it will drop out and sink wedge in hard spots -

In these images you can see the area I noticed earlier from the other side, the red rich soil area - the first image is directly behind me to the left and second image is directly behind me to the right - this is hard Conglomerate where the miners had worked underneath looking for the soft spots where the gold traveled in and gets trapped in the hard wall or pocket so to speak - while moving slowly through and around the tree's I had a faint signal clear to say it was ground noise it was solid but faint - when I scratched the top definitely smooth solid target - also at the gully side of the tree there was another prospectors dig hole on the edge of the gully - on the left of the tree was also a meter section where they had scraped away - and another further to the left not in this picture - fair to presume they found something and took an extra effort to take 6 inches off the top in search of more
1475664931_pic_0129.jpg

1475664950_pic_0130.jpg

1475664983_pic_0131.jpg

1475665007_pic_0132.jpg

5. When I got the target out was happy to see some color - second image is another target it was about 8 inches deep for a really nice looking .22 Caliber bullet shell - again because the signal was solid but faint we always dig - even if it screams - we dig - verification is the key
1475665514_pic_0134.jpg

1475665544_pic_0135.jpg

6. After cleaning the clay from the gold when I returned home - weight 0.50 grams and that red area just stood out on the bush area - and as we can see even if there was not a gully worked the mineral signs on the top of the ground show us the signs - 0.5grams but it all adds up - this section also was on the bend of the gully as mentioned earlier path of least resistance - that is another reason it was more extensively worked - the miners know the inside outside bends and when they hit Conglomerate and the rock bottom they look in all the cracks and crevices in these hard spots hoping the gold filled these hard spots
1475665710_pic_0139.jpg

7. These were some rocks that I found to show some examples - you guys can check this anywhere on the internet but I thought to compile it within this thread, the first image is schist quartz vein and sediments - the third image is mineralized quartz - 4th image is some Iron Pyrite crystal that I picked out of the Schist Outcrop
1475666018_pic_0140.jpg

1475666042_pic_0141.jpg

1475666058_pic_0142.jpg

1475666075_pic_0143.jpg

While looking at this area and the contour of the landscape there is good signs to visit this area again for a more thorough search - I would focus away from the gully on the slight slopes in these area's - there is a potential for soft spots in the ground with the hard red rich soil or conglomerate closer to the surface right through this bush area - all the way back where it peaks - who knows maybe a small patch or pocket could be found if close enough to the surface
1475666593_pic_01251.jpg

Anyway another good day for only a couple hours exploring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts