My Trommel.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AtomRat said:
I mustve missed the start of this build mate, looks sick! Anything with a pressure gauge is a beast.. :cool:

I never posted until it was near done, i had a heap more photos from back when i started. But the phone kinda took a turn and i lost everything.
Haha, yeah thats why i put it there. It even works!!!

1476083952_20160813_111908.jpg

1476084184_20160614_124009.jpg

1476084374_20160813_111947.jpg

Thought i would show you this one i made a few months back few mods but works well now, fully portable and a one man operation strips down to fit in the back of my ute runs on 240v via a 3kva generator and 270lt min electric water pump

1476091044_2016-10-10_19.01.20.jpg
That looks great mate.
Yeah when I started building mine I had no idea what I was doing, what I needed, what would and wouldn't work. So everything I did was just made up on the spot.
When I had finished I ended up a bit heavy and moving it around was a 2 man job, so that's why I built the trailer to throw it on. Which is handy because I can leave anything to do with the gold all in one spot so when it come time to go out for a play, everything that I may need is already on the trailer and ready to go.

that is a very good idea i was going to do that but some of the places i go you cant get a trailer in or at least turn it around at the other end that is why i got the ute it is set up at all times and carry two weeks worth of food and water and all safety gear also i got a PLB about a 8 weeks ago as where i go there is no service (thank god) and the one who must be obeyed got all grumpy until i did
i had some trouble with the water flow but a few changes of pipes and that was soon fixed what lt does your pump do per min you keep yours on the trailer or remove it and put wheels under it when in use
i saw one at oallan a few months ago that stayed on the trailer and the sides dropped down to allow axcess and use looked rather cumbersome and hard to get the dirt into but hay it worked

the photo never came up to start but just had a look now and what i might do is take a bit more time making my next one and it might turn out as good as yours looks number 1

Yeah nice one mate,
I'm not sure what LPM it runs, but I have a 5hp water pump I just carry down the track and dump when I'm ready to run. But it will soon have its own little home on the trailer. I'm just in the process of making all the pack racks.

I offset the trommel to one side so I have room to throw all the rest of the gear down one side, and for easier access to the hopper box I made the drawbar removable.

yeah I'm soon to start the redesign, just ill get rid of that trommel and make a whole new set up, just make it all look good and proper and tidy it up. not a hack job like this one is.

Awesome job mate! Very jealous as in Qld we are not allowed any good shite.....grumble grumble.... :|

Wow very impressive Silentd and Marksman! You guys are welcome in my shed any day!

I think about how fun it would be to build one myself and have a few blueprints from the net but have just never got around to it, then again I wonder how I would keep up with one, it's hard enough to feed the highbanker for a few hours let alone a trommel. I have a Ditch Witch 855XT sitting in the backyard and often get impure thoughts when I walk past it.

One of the best I have seen is Dan Hurd's setup on a trailer, imagine how fun school would have been if you had that guy as your metal work and "prospecting class" teacher.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/3slqIi9f4No[/video]

7.62marksman said:
i had some trouble with the water flow but a few changes of pipes and that was soon fixed

Maybe you can offer me some advice?

The young bloke of a mate of mine is more interested in alluvial than detecting so i'm not much use. Your situation above reads similar to what he is experiencing, but with a 2.5hp 1" o/let Honda and 'sluicing', not trommeling.

He also states it has flow of ~ 110lpm (?)...and since a recent 'tune' (plug, filters, oil etc) after being given a 5hr run pump, and a few outings says he's not getting enough flow.

Took some talking, but he also says he doesn't run it wide open (apparently goes all day, break for lunch i guess?) as he is concerned about o/heating & blowing the pump.

I suggested a coupler for larger hose initially, then advised him, after learning how he runs it, to up the revs from 50% progressively till he got the required flow with what he has.

So... :D , question is....Just how strong and reliable are the Honda 2.5hp pumps (maybe as old as 10 yrs, but only done about 60-80hrs tops) running at say 85-90% for approx. 8 hrs??

Is 110lpm 'enough' for a small sluicing kit?

Should he run at say 75% and if not enough flow, use a larger line??

Is it possible to change the 'impeller' and therefore the flow rate?

Not having been there while he had the issue, made it harder for me to visualize his predicament.

He did note he was finding fines in the moss, but just felt he wasn't getting enough flow to distribute the ore's.

[Edit]:..I just recalled,..he also says he sets up his angles on a test run prior, so he has it as low as he dares (atm with current flow) before losing color out the end... :eek:

Thoughts??

With Thanks
Gypsy

Latest posts