nails and buckle identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've found many nails in the past. Some old copper ones, but these are new to me. I was pretty happy when I found them because they ring old to me, but can anyone establish when they were using these ? Also the buckle was found Metre away. So I'd say they are related. Was very happy with the buckle , it had the original iron piece attached but so brittle and broke off which was a shame. I'm guessing the nails are from the 1800's but approximately when would these have been in main use.
Also I recently bought a deus and just getting the hang of it. Only one hunt under my belt big learning curve. But tonight I've had a revelation with it. Seems to be a beast in basic mode with adjusted settings and full tones. Looking forward to getting some hunts under my belt with it. Light as a feather too . Previous machines way to heavy for expedition type hunts.
1473434365_20160910_011052-1024x576.jpg
1473434384_20160910_011059-1024x576.jpg

When I was young my old Dad used to say they were used 100 years ago (square nails), but he was talking about the diamond head nails from bach then(that would put them at 140-145 years ago at least) ,.... but they made all sorts of square nails right down to the clouts you are showing there. Copper clout square nails could have been used to hold the boards onto the outside of a dingy .
I'm not sure how long before then that they started to use square nails, but even now I still have a few lying around (not that I would use them) somewhere, so people could have still been reaching for old stock in the jar in the shed to use anytime since if they were caught short in the nail department on a weekend project, even kids building a fort n using grandads old nails to do it could account for old nails in a recent setting. I find all sorts of square nails at times, even some really big ones on occasion, most just go to the melting pot. ;)
hope this helps somehow treasureman ! :D

Hi - the buckle is a typical horse tack buckle. They sound so great on the machine and similar to a penny or large silver. I used to give mine to a fellow who makes modern horse bridles and loved the old stuff due to the quality.

Hey guys thanks, havent been on in ages.
Silver, the nails have circular heads not square. I found them right next to the buckle. I had an inkling that they could be boot nails ? Nearby i found those tiny green copper bullet shells. So perhaps something went down there in the 1800s, as they buckle was about hip distance away from the nails which were boot distance. Only a hunch though.

Latest posts