50 million year old fossils found in Brisbane

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few days old, but quite exiting non the less.

abc.net.au said:
Construction workers in Brisbane have unearthed animal and plant fossils believed to be about 50 million years old.

The fossils were contained in a layer of oil shale more than 15 metres underground at Geebung on Brisbane's northside.

The surprise discovery was brought to the surface by a piling rig last month during building excavation works.

Project engineers have been talking to experts from the Queensland Museum, who say the fossils are those of ancient crocodiles, fish, freshwater shells and plants.

Academics say the suburban site was completely unknown to them.

Professor Suzanne Miller, the chief of the Queensland Museum, says the find is not only unusual but significant.

"It's very unusual to find materials being uncovered in these urban sites. I mean, most discoveries of this nature are found miles from anywhere," she told The World Today.

"First of all it's very unusual to have an urban construction site that finds it, and secondly to have the people on the construction team realise that there was something unusual and to make that call was incredibly fortunate for us."

Professor Miller says the museum now needs to find a site for the five tonnes of soil that road workers have set aside, and a team of community volunteers to help sift through the material.

She says the fossils could fill in a missing link in worldwide knowledge of what happened after the dinosaurs were wiped off the planet.

"We believe that there's real potential in this site to uncover something that will be absolutely unique for Queensland and really unique for Australia," she said.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-16/workers-make-surprise-fossil-find-in-brisbane/4823002

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/_AtGaz8Si8M[/video]
Video (7News)

Nugget.

Great story.
I'd love to go on an archaeology dig.
Australia has some of the oldest fossils on Earth.
Fossils of the earliest forms of life , fossil tracks of the first known creatures to emerge from the oceans
and fossils of the earliest forms of plant life on land are all in Australia.

That was a really great find! Luckily someone had a good set of eyes on the job. :D

We can only imagine what lies buried beneath our feet most times. It's a truly wondrous and ancient country we live in.

Cheers,
Shauno.

lucky that someone gave a shit enough to not only see it but to care enough to notify the dept

many large work sites these days do have someone doing environmental management but i would imagine others have been bulldozed in the past :/

Anyone into fossils should endeavour to get to Winton &visit Lark quarry & the dinosaur centre, which is situated on top of a Mesa.
When I visited last year,there was heavy rain & flooding

The dinosaur research being undertaken is amazing& the staff are only too happy to impart information on the exhibits.
The views from the Mesa are amazing ,a sea of green Mitchell grass--I believe at this time it's very dry & brown.

It still would be worth the Visit.

Also worth a look is Ravenswood,near Charters Towers. An old gold town where gold is still being won.

The mining relics are amazing. I will get back up there as we only had a couple of hours in the town. A post office,pub & general store also a free camping area,

Pete

Pr2cv said:
Anyone into fossils should endeavour to get to Winton &visit Lark quarry & the dinosaur centre, which is situated on top of a Mesa.
When I visited last year,there was heavy rain & flooding

The dinosaur research being undertaken is amazing& the staff are only too happy to impart information on the exhibits.
The views from the Mesa are amazing ,a sea of green Mitchell grass--I believe at this time it's very dry & brown.

It still would be worth the Visit.

Also worth a look is Ravenswood,near Charters Towers. An old gold town where gold is still being won.

The mining relics are amazing. I will get back up there as we only had a couple of hours in the town. A post office,pub & general store also a free camping area,

Pete
Lark Quarry is great.

Latest posts