how does your sdc2300 behave ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leroy said:
Yes I understand all replies and thank you. I was just replying to aussiefarmers post requesting how our different SDCs perform. I thought I would just mention that when I place detector on ground to DIG, coil is still upright as I keep using it to see if target is out. I was just pointing out that whilst coil is upright it really starts to babble a great deal more, I was assuming this would be EMI and I was asking members to perhaps verify this. Of course I lay coil flat to do the necessary searching. I'm just pointing out that after using detector with switches,led's,buttons etc in all different settings, I found that running on 2(green) and with the LED's on 5 or Max, I get the best results out of my detector. I'm putting it down to the GoG headphones that I'm using, they run a little quiet and are very sensitive. Nugget buster I too have found ozs. Mostly hundreds of pellets and small rubbish, not too much yellow, I'm not in the right areas yet but I don't think I'm missing many targets. I think I pointed out in one of my previous posts I run the 5000 for half a day and finish the day with a 1 or 2 hour run with the 2300, I'm surprised if I don't get 30 to 40 targets with the SDC. Unfortunately I'm not putting the machine over gold. I do understand that 2300's will not run as smooth as GPX's but I think I've learned to hear the targets through all the noise.
Thank you for your replies, and Nuggetbuster, I'd like to be in your neck of the woods.

Yes, I was saying that I believe it's EMI, and that out observations seem to be similar :)

I knew that you would lay the coil flat to search - I was more referring to times when I have tilted the coil whilst pinpointing, or detecting a vertical surface or something, or when I haven't swung the coil properly: in those instances, the SDC has cried... I wasn't implying in any way that you were detecting incorrectly :cool:

That's ok Nuggetbuster I understand where you were coming from, I still have a lot to learn and " I would still like to run my 23 over your neck of the woods" one gets sick of running at around 65 to. I love the bush though and I can still laugh about it when I say to my wife, "Well Dear, Nil of task today"

Nuggetbuster said:
Heatho said:
Leroy said:
My2300 really arks up when I lay it down to dig, normally with coil straight up and down ( as in detecting mode) seems to back off when coil is layed flat, I put this down to EMI, what do people think? I have just cleaned inside the plate and will check a bit more next time out. There is still no way I can get a nice smooth threshold no matter how many times I hit the noise cancel button so I guess I'll just have to live with it. I find staying on 2 ( green ) and turning LED's up to MAX and using GOG headphones, they run a tad quiet, seems to be the best for me.

Turning the threshold up on full is certainly not the way to run the SDC, you really want to only have 3-4 of the LED's on, having the threshold up so high on any detector is counter productive and will cause problems.

I always ran my SDC with a threshold on either max (or sometimes 1 to 3 below max, if I upped the sensitivity)...

And I found ounces with it, in not many hours. Tiny pieces, too: most of them would be between 0.03g and 0.05g

Wish I had the areas you had to detect then. ;) The SDC is a very forgiving detector in regards to the way it can be run.

Do any of you guys start with your Sens on 5, Noise Cancel, then back off Sens until you are happy with your stability? This works very well for me, and I can often run a higher Sensitivity compared with starting low and trying to increase it.

Was at Jupiter Creek today (usually bad EMI), and ran it with external speaker on 5 for most of the time. Did have to re-tune a couple times.
When Sensitivity is on 4 or 5, I do increase the threshold LED's to 5 or 6 as this provides a bit more stability without masking targets.

Gday Phase Tech,

I just read an article on the net called ' getting the best from the SDC'...great article did you write it? It comes from Phase Technical in December 2015.

I am just staring out on SDC and that blog will be a great help...many thanks. :)

Yes I agree with you Nenad, that's why I always run as high as I can on the LEDs, to me it smooths things out even running on 2(green) it sounds a lot better especially when using good quality (quieter) headphones. I can't explain exactly why but after lots of testing iv'e found the higher you can run the LED's the smoother it gets. If noise is a problem, back off the sensitivity or in my case the Gog headphones help greatly. If using a booster or amp(such as one of those guitar amps), they have a volume control that takes care of that.

I don't like the threshold higher than 6 as you lose clarity on the real faint ones, but with a booster you get away with it.

My preference is good headphones, Sens 3, threshold 4th led. But I will use booster speaker combo when hot or on calm days.

PhaseTech said:
Do any of you guys start with your Sens on 5, Noise Cancel, then back off Sens until you are happy with your stability? This works very well for me, and I can often run a higher Sensitivity compared with starting low and trying to increase it.

Was at Jupiter Creek today (usually bad EMI), and ran it with external speaker on 5 for most of the time. Did have to re-tune a couple times.
When Sensitivity is on 4 or 5, I do increase the threshold LED's to 5 or 6 as this provides a bit more stability without masking targets.

Must have been a good day for it Nenad , yesterday probably 5 klm's from you was also able to
run my machine at a much higher gain than usual . The only time my machine has run like it has been at night or very early morning , really did seem odd . I guess sometimes the planets align with good ground cond and low emi and that's when the SDc really shows how good it is , reward was a .44g at good depth on a patch that I and many others have thrashed over time.

MikeB05 said:
Gday Phase Tech,

I just read an article on the net called ' getting the best from the SDC'...great article did you write it? It comes from Phase Technical in December 2015.

I am just staring out on SDC and that blog will be a great help...many thanks. :)

Yep that's me.

Cheers, Nenad

Leroy said:
My2300 really arks up when I lay it down to dig, normally with coil straight up and down ( as in detecting mode) seems to back off when coil is layed flat, I put this down to EMI, what do people think? I have just cleaned inside the plate and will check a bit more next time out. There is still no way I can get a nice smooth threshold no matter how many times I hit the noise cancel button so I guess I'll just have to live with it. I find staying on 2 ( green ) and turning LED's up to MAX and using GOG headphones, they run a tad quiet, seems to be the best for me.

My last two trips I found this method to work the best for me too.
After reading a few posts a while back, I had settled on 3 and 3 to be the best for me, but my last two trips I was max threshold and 3 sensitivity. Sensitivity 2 or even 1 was even more stable, but 3 was do-able. Not sure if it's down to different soil types etc, but the new sethings gave me a constant smooth hum in the background, as opposed to a constant unstable wavering chirp with the lower threshold. I find the green ground balance button does nothing for me, and strangely the noise cancel process worked better this time with the coil on the ground, compared to my usual 400mm steady hold off the ground.

PhaseTech said:

I did try this when you mentioned it quite a while ago, and thought it helped. Tried it again recently once or twice, but can't say it helped this time. I think I remember you also saying you've had a lot of success running sensitivity at 1 and 2, and was thinking of that as I tried those settings recently.

Yeah when you want it really stable the Sens down low is good, you just have to really pay attention as some of the signals are very subtle.

Bang on Nenad and Isolation, Sens down low LEDs up high, and I agree sounds might be a bit subtle but with good phones and paying Attention it's hard to miss the signals," even if they are pellets "

Yes Isolation, the green button doesn't seem to do much for me either and even though I'm running on 2 mostly, as long as I listen carefully even 1 is ok

I've never had one situation when I've needed the threshold above 4, good to keep in mind though in case the need arises 1 day.

Though too much threshold and you do have every chance of missing very faint target signals in my opinion.

I used to run on threshold 3 with the koss cans but pushed it up to 4 when using the Gog's.

The green button certainly does make it ground balance but the auto tracking does a good job with it. Even if you think the green button does nothing it's always good to GB at least once when starting for the day. Just my opinion again. I still GB quite regularly though but not as often as with the 5000.

Yes Heatho, I do hit the green button first up and sometimes during detecting, it's very hard to tell though if it's doing anything, but I guess maybe it does something otherwise it wouldn't be in the instructions. As far as the other settings go, different ground,states,weather,machines etc, can all make a difference, it's just the ones I use seem the most satisfactory for me in the GT.

I forgot to point out too that a persons hearing, or lack off, probably has quite a bit to do with it. Mine is pretty bad and for some reason the settings I use seem to help a lot so I usually try and stay with the ones that work the best for me.

Well I'm thinking my SDC must have been slapped together on a Friday arvo before a long weekend ;)

I'm keen for a meet up of all interested SDC owners for comparison.
Name your central west goldfield, name your day, choose your settings, and come out swinging :D

Latest posts