Cairns area?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey all!
here in he cairns area for a little bit and was wondering whether anyone knows of any places nearby for a dig? (mt surprise, mt garnet, obriens creek etc i'm aware of and am planning on heading out to at some point- pretty excited)
thanks in advance! :)

The Lava Plains have some of the best looking Sapphires on the planet if you can find a nice clear one. I've heard that they are difficult to find there but are stunning stones.

Hey Kruj,
welcome to the forum. Cairns and the surrounding area abound with mining history from Christie Palmerston who forged most of our major road routes on horse and bullock as well as discovering numerous Goldfields to the dredging days of 30 years ago.
Have a poke around online and im sure youll find more info than your hard drive can handle.

Whats more there are a group of likeminded prospectors from the forum, (myself included) who meet every second month and have a yarn about our various adventures and plans.
Next one will be early October so feel free to come along to that.

Thanks backcreek for the mention. :D

What type of prospecting are you interested in Kruj?

Lastly have a look at this post from the forum, theyre getting close to filling the petition and need everyones help.
Cheers,
TGW.

No Worries Shannon, I like to help out where I can.
Cheers
Mick

The Green Wanderer said:
Hey Kruj,
welcome to the forum. Cairns and the surrounding area abound with mining history from Christie Palmerston who forged most of our major road routes on horse and bullock as well as discovering numerous Goldfields to the dredging days of 30 years ago.
Have a poke around online and im sure youll find more info than your hard drive can handle.

Whats more there are a group of likeminded prospectors from the forum, (myself included) who meet every second month and have a yarn about our various adventures and plans.
Next one will be early October so feel free to come along to that.

Thanks backcreek for the mention. :D

What type of prospecting are you interested in Kruj?

Lastly have a look at this post from the forum, theyre getting close to filling the petition and need everyones help.
Cheers,
TGW.

Will definitely be checking out lava plains Heatho; am very much looking forward to it :)
The green wanderer - have been looking online but much of what I've found has been about places a little father out - I'll look more with Palmerston relations and see what I can find; thanks! I probably won't be around the area in October unfortunately :( but thank you for the invite! I'm into gems/minerals more than hunting for gold - just love the buzz from unearthing something no one else has ever seen!
Filled out that petition- hopefully something good comes from it!

Have a good read up on the Lava Plains, I don't know much about thatr area. But hey once you do the trip please report back as we don't have much info on the forum about fossicking in that region, I'm going to try to get there next winter for a dig.

Will do Heatho - have had a bit of a read but still want to do a bit more research :) did moonstone hill last week(? - times a bit of an unknown with me; don't keep track of it while traveling hah) and that was pretty fun; would definitely like to go back at some point: found some nice pieces of feldspar and a few nice smokey quartz (water worn) -we only dug for about 3 hours so we did pretty well actually I rekon :) will post a photo of some of them eventually:)

1490142823_image.jpg

1490142823_image.jpg

Latest posts