Gympie has a new inspector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a new inspector in SEQ....
Haven't met him yet but looking forward to it...
I have been told he is a young fella fresh out of the fold....ready to take the bull by the horns.
This could be the start of something very interesting...
Hopefully i will get to met him on Sunday at Deep Creek.

Ha ha ha yobskin. I feel sory for him already.I can just imagine the bombardment of questions he will get by all the prospectors in that area.I hope he is prepared.Lol :eek: :eek: ;)

Yes should be interesting, when it comes to interpretation of the fossicking laws.....

I dont no cecc.There seems to be alot of debate about the interpretation of the laws.What we can and what we cant do..To me its pretty simple to understand. In qld we cant do anything.... :mad:

Yeah smoky true so true. Well this new guy is going to be put on the spot I'd say, when all the guys and gals want a definitive :) answer to their questions.

Hey Smoky, you gotta be spot on with that mate. Gov't is always spruiking about enterprise and all that crap, but when a little prospector wants to have a go, no way. Unless you got so much money you don't need to prospect anyway. Anyhow's I hope this new bloke is reasonable enough for our boys in that area.

Lets hope we finally get someone on our side.
I bucket feed water to a setup on my sluice....That alows me to go anywhere at anytime around Deep cr Gympie..... But i must say the second i can use a pump to pump water....Trust me i will be using one. ;)

There's no reason why you can't Smoky....a few of us have scoured the act's and have found nothing saying we can't process the material after we've gathered it by pick and shovel, to then process it using a pump or electric bilge pump.

Hey cecc
So you guys use electric builge pump to run your sluice at deep cr..I have talked to a couple of hob nobs like rosco...And have been told on all occasions that i cant use anything that uses a battery or fuel to pump water.Im confused :/

Smoky this had been debated over and over, and yes I've contacted Rossco and the guy from Bundaberg, all giving different variations of the said clause.

Look for some other posts on this site where it goes into detail regarding the definition of 'fossicking' etc.

Smoky found some stuff.....some are emails from Rossco himself...and others are direct from the act.

Note highlighted area, " Meaning of fossick' this relates to gathering of the material....not how it's processed...this is straight from the act.

Fossicking Act 1994

Note here that Rossco say's, water is permitted, so long as the method of delivery to the device does not involve powered equipment. There is no where in the act that I or others can find substantiating this comment.

This from Rossco.

The use a highbanker/sluice to fossick for gold in Queensland is permitted, however any fossicking materials would have to be fed into the hopper by means other than mechanical devices.
The use of water in a highbanker/sluice is permitted,
The use of power operated equipment (water pump), which includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and electrical equipment and petrol operated machinery, to fossick for gold is strictly prohibited.

From the act:

5 Meaning of fossick
(1) Fossick means
(a) search for fossicking materials in a systematic or
unsystematic way
(i) on the grounds surface; or
(ii) by digging with a hand tool; or
(b) collect fossicking materials.
(2) However, a person does not fossick merely because the
person picks up a specimen of fossicking material the person
finds by chance when doing something other than fossicking.

From the act:

38 Use of machinery etc. prohibited
A person fossicking under a licence must not use machinery
or equipment (other than a hand tool) to fossick.
Maximum penalty400 penalty units.

Yer ive read those posts.I think everyone is looking to far into the definition of machinery hoping for a loop hole....But I know we cant use an electric or fuel powerd pump.(AT DEEP CREEK.) So i will just keep doin what ive always done. Cheers Cecc.Sorry to het of topic Guys :mad:

That's ok smoky, the part about using machinery relates to 'fossicking' there is a loop hole, and well it's yet to be tested. All I know is what the act says. have had a bit of experience with legal acts, but you do what you feel best mate, no worries. And if at ever in the future it is all made clear or tested in a court, then mate we can all get into it.

Cheers

cecc said:
Note highlighted area, " Meaning of fossick' this relates to gathering of the material....not how it's processed...this is straight from the act.

From the act:

5 Meaning of fossick
(1) Fossick means
(a) search for fossicking materials in a systematic or
unsystematic way
(i) on the grounds surface; or
(ii) by digging with a hand tool; or
(b) collect fossicking materials.
(2) However, a person does not fossick merely because the
person picks up a specimen of fossicking material the person
finds by chance when doing something other than fossicking.

Also from the act is the definition of fossicking materials. I think this is where we come unstuck. We are not fossicking for wash and then processing it. We are fossicking for gemstones, alluvial gold etc as shown below

fossicking material means
(a) a gemstone; or
(b) an ornamental stone; or
(c) a mineral specimen; or
(d) alluvial gold; or
(e) a fossil (other than a fossil of a vertebrate animal); or
(f) a substance prescribed by regulation to be fossicking material;
but does not include a meteorite, tektite, or impact or ejected material associated with a meteorite impact structure.

Phoenix76 said:
Hey Smoky, you gotta be spot on with that mate. Gov't is always spruiking about enterprise and all that crap, but when a little prospector wants to have a go, no way. Unless you got so much money you don't need to prospect anyway. Anyhow's I hope this new bloke is reasonable enough for our boys in that area.
He does your area to mate.....all south qld....inland ....to rocky..
Im sure he will be fine....he is there to guide us and help with any future investigations....

Just thinking, hydraulic ram pump......... very efficient, self powered, just need the right rise and fall for it to work.

Mike.

Mike70 said:
Just thinking, hydraulic ram pump......... very efficient, self powered, just need the right rise and fall for it to work.

Mike.
Very limited rise and fall in most areas around here mate...

Latest posts