1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a normal hitch on my camper but opted for a stronger one.I notoced that camel campers had one that looked like Hitch 2.
Dropped into the Camel shop and the welded the new hitch on - very happy and tis a a true off road hitch with all the flexibility you need,
Jaros

Do yourself a favour and don't buy the cheap crap.
Have a read of this post at Myswag, one of many there on the subject. = http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=28350.0

1509933230_copy.jpg

Thanks Jaros
Im leaning towards hitch 1 .. but wondering if hitch 2, would be one to take a closer look at ..the other option is a Mchitch which is rated at 2,000 KG and cost a whopping $199 ... :eek:
They fit over a standard tow ball..

I have a mate who is going to cut and weld the draw bar extension for me for nothing and he has steel left over from when he replaced the next door neighbors draw bar .. so nothing to buy for the draw bar except a new hitch .. I'm inclined to get the new hitch now and weld it on at the same time as the extension, rather then drill and blot on the old style ball hitch to the new extension..
I also need to replace the fixed jockey wheel with a fold up one and replace the two back wind down stabilizers with 2 drop down legs.
Just thinking, I might as well do it all in one go then a bit here and a bit there..

nucopia said:
Thanks Jaros
Im leaning towards hitch 1 .. but wondering if hitch 2, would be one to take a closer look at ..the other option is a Mchitch which is rated at 2,000 KG and cost a whopping $199 ... :eek:
They fit over a standard tow ball..

Hitch one looks like a Chinese knock off of a treg ............. wouldn't touch it myself if it is ?
You will see the difference .................. main one being one is cheap cast the genuine is steel fabricated unit
http://www.tregtrailers.com.au/poly-block-couplings/

I bought style 2 (orac) hitch a couple of years ago, they give more articulation then the treg/treg style hitches especially at full lock (or any of the simpler hitches). I haven't fitted mine yet as I have also decided to extend the drawbar by 400mm. most of the work is done except for cutting off the old drawbar, the new drawbar gets welded to the front spring mounts unlike the original one. Ken.

Also the hitch I purchased is marked as being rated as 3,500kg and has the Australian standard number for hitches but doesn't have the manufacturers name on it, which is unusual. Looking at the welds they appear to be structurally sound. My camper weighs in at 860kg so it is a massive overkill, and the drawbar being used is an overkill as well.

Edit added the link to all? the different hitches.
http://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm

Tathradj said:
The hitch area is paramount to safety.
I would not stuff around with it.
Peace of mind.
Get an ADR approved hitch.
http://www.tregtrailers.com.au/poly-block-couplings/

Yes there is a good reason for this Over 50 percent of members of the CamperTrailers Group own a Treg coupling. a very tried and proven product.
The Treg or McHitch is the way to go but the McHitch almost over complicates it
As Junkdog has said being policed here and they are parking people up on the side of the road. Recently re registered my own camper with upgraded GVM from 1200 to 1650 kg for this reason as apart from the fine they just won't let you move it other than on a flat tray. Now that could get expensive half way between Clermont and Charters Towers :eek:

After all the posts and doing a bit more research( thanks for the links guys) I decided to call Treg Trailers in Adelaide and order one of their weld on hitches and the receiver coupling.
total for both parts $311... :eek:
Luckily, I have some one from Robinvale visiting relatives in Adelaide today and they can pick up parts and bring it back for me tomorrow.. :)

Next on the agenda..... buy a swing up jockey wheel, 2 drop down stabilizer legs and get the draw bar extended when we get back home next week..
I also have to replace the bed board struts with the stronger ones some one from the forum sent me.. :Y: :Y: :Y:
only need to drill and tap 2 holes and fit them on. Also have to wire the LED strip lights and switches inside the camper and run wires and a switch for the water pump..
I'll have 5 days to get every thing done before hitching it up to the Prado, with its new engine :party: and tow the camper to Robinvale via Goulburn ;) then on 20th drive to W.A for a few weeks of bush detecting :D
W.A miners rights being issued today :party: :party: :party: :party: ]:D

A good mate is loaning the Digger his SDC2300 head phones pick and accessories, so she can also swing and detect her own targets.. she will probably find more then me but what we find we share any way so its all good ;)
I would be happy if she finds enough to buy her own detector when we get back.. if not then as long as we have a great experience, I will be happy with that as well.. ;)

Hope the Digger finds more than you... Then the Digger will want to go again and again and again. ;) .. Win Win I say.... Good luck in your Adventure... :Y: Most of all Have Fun in the Camper... :Y:

I have just returned from 8 days away of No Stress and Didn't want to come home.. :rolleyes: .. But feel 'refreshed' to deal with what-ever the Demon wants to throw at me... ]:D

LW.... :rainbow:

Thanks LoneWolf
The Digger loves to go out bush hunting the yellow stuff .. I think she loves the excitement of searching for and finding it.. but once found, gives it to me to put it in the bottle with the rest of our finds and forgets about it ...then she is keen to find some more.. weather its fly specks in the pan or a nugget detecting its the search for hidden treasure she seems to enjoy the most..
It's also great that we both love doing the same things together..she loves getting out bush camping , panning, sluicing or digging up targets..even when its just junk..

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2.5 x 2.5 side awning from supercheap on special for $79 ..my problem is I don't have any racks to mount it onto.
I've been madly searching flea bay,gum tree and 4x4 super center to get a roof top basket..
Gum tree has nothing flea bay is way to expensive and anything I order would arrive after we plan to leave and the super center @ $279 plus freight, also list their baskets for delivery after we leave..I left this one too late...
So looks like the awning is staying home ... :(

Do you have a Ripco (Repco) near you?. They have a Basket on special till 21/11...120cm x90cm x 11cm for $99.... I have seen them sell on Gumtree for more than you can buy them for..... :eek: ... What date are you leaving?

LW... :rainbow:

Latest posts