1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
I was told by the rms that gas bottles were not allowed to be mounted on the front or rear of trailers
I am still trying to work out where to put them myself :mad: :mad:

Every major CT manufacturer has gas bottles mounted on the front [not the rear] of their hard bodied campers.
Most soft floors has gas bottles mounted on the side.

1507587222_gas.jpg

Hey Nucopia,

as I said earlier you could move the tool box forward approx 20cm the width of a jerry can. This would give you room and allow you to fit your cover and you can then fill the space with two plastic jerry cans that can be used for water. You could then use the weight of the plastic jerry cans to balance correctly. Not enough weight on the front & you can fill the JCs...... a bit to much ..... only half fill......or leave completely empty. We're only talking about water. You could even transfer the water from front to back as you used water from the main tank to keep an even balance.
In my experience when out bush the only real restiction on how long you can stay is water.

Rob

Occasional_panner said:
Can the water tank fit underneath the trailer in the middle? Many are set up like this so when you use the water it doesn't upset the balance.
Have a look here to see the importance of balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM
So in your case if you started with a full tank and used it all up during the trip it would add 80kg to the ball weight, that's better than reducing it by 80kg, but still not fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-hUX8memY

That video really made me think about how I am setting things up with weight distribution.
At the back of the trailer under neath there are two horizontal bolts that are welded into the cross member mid way between the axle and the rear of the camper.
I don't know for certain if this was where a water tank was fitted before, or if they are there to mount some thing else.
The best thing I can do, is look at other places with in the camper to relocate the water tank, instead of having it mounted at the very rear of the camper.

The water tank is a from a caravan which had the tank mounted under neath the chassis at the rear, perhaps I can mount it equally over the axle cross wise inside the camper , that is if it fits between the inner wheel arches. Other wise I could mount it in the middle of the camper floor length wise , so the centre of the tank was over the axle..
I will have my next door neighbour, who has built several tear drop vans to be towed behind Spider trikes (3 wheeler's) take a look at it this week when he has time.
Either that or take it down to the local caravan dealers and get their feed back on the set up.

Ok had a very long chat with the guy next door we went over the trailer to look at the water tank placement.
He is of the opinion because of the way the trailer is built , that the water tank in its present position is in the correct position and will not be an issue.
Here is a side on picture of the trailer , with measurements.
1, Centre of the tow ball to the front of camper (draw bar) = 1,400 mm.(1.4metres)
2, Front of camper to the centre of the axle = 1,400 mm (1.4 metres)
3, Centre of Axle to rear of camper =1,000 mm (1 meter)
Over all length of the trailer is 3,800 mm or 3.8 Metres.
65% of the Mass of the trailer is forward of the axle. :)
1507598579_trailer_side_view.jpg

Hotrob said:
Hey Nucopia,

as I said earlier you could move the tool box forward approx 20cm the width of a jerry can. This would give you room and allow you to fit your cover and you can then fill the space with two plastic jerry cans that can be used for water. You could then use the weight of the plastic jerry cans to balance correctly. Not enough weight on the front & you can fill the JCs...... a bit to much ..... only half fill......or leave completely empty. We're only talking about water. You could even transfer the water from front to back as you used water from the main tank to keep an even balance.
In my experience when out bush the only real restiction on how long you can stay is water.

Rob
G'day Hotrob
That's a good solution to the canvas cover issue and would give me more water for longer stays out bush.
I just have to make sure I do not have any thing extending across the draw bar further then 550 mm from the front wall of the camper, as the back of the Prado would hit any projection when turning.
Centre of my tow ball to the edge of the Prado measures 800 mm this leaves me 600mm from the front of the camper in which I can put any thing that extends out side the V of the draw bar.. I plan to only go out 495 mm with the tool box and if I added a Jerry can @ 180 mm that would be 495 + 180 = 675 mm which is past my safe limit.
1507601438_22015512_10210086986115668_1303364855_o.jpg

A narrower tool box might be an option, but I am limited to the tool box sizes that are commercially available..the other option is get one custom made..but how much is it going to cost and would it be worth the cost ..these are all things I still have to take into consideration before I do or buy something..

madtuna
Mate... I wish I was in your neck of the woods ;)
Although, now I will have to hide your post from the Digger :p as she keeps nagging me to get the trailer and Prado fixed and road ready, so I can take her to Kalgoorlie :rolleyes:
Then again dropping you off a carton of XXXX might also be a good excuse for a side trip when she eventually gets her way :D

Seriously Mate, I very much appreciate your offer , that draw bar looks like it could support a large caravan not just a camper trailer.. :Y:

It was a ripper little camper that started out life with squidgy little boat trailer wheels and a drawbar I could touch my fingers around.
The camper itself would be about the same size as yours.

I got the draw bar made at a caravan place so I could carry a postie bike on the front. It's bigger than the one on a mates Kedron.
The cruiser hubs are brand new too, probably done about 1/2 a klm.
Since I bought the new van I'll never use the thing, lived in it for a few years over here too with my dog.

Cheers!

Forgot to mention mate, check your state regulations, in Vic if you go over 750kg GVM you need to have the trailer fitted with brakes.
Once you get it rolling put all items in the camper, full water tank etc and take it to a weigh bridge, local tips often have them here.
Just checked for you, it's the same for NSW http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/towing.html

Occasional_panner said:
Forgot to mention mate, check your state regulations, in Vic if you go over 750kg GVM you need to have the trailer fitted with brakes.
Once you get it rolling put all items in the camper, full water tank etc and take it to a weigh bridge, local tips often have them here.
Just checked for you, it's the same for NSW http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/towing.html

State to state really doesn't matter as many vehicles the manufacturers towing capacity is limited to 750kg un braked in any case. Prado and Navara being in there on that list. As has been said weighbridge is the go as for a few bucks it lets you know exactly where you stand :Y:

You can put the Scales under the trailer and just Add what you 'Need' and with a bit of mucking around you will find places for things and Get the Balance Right...

With Gas on your Drawbar, I think as long as they are inside the Jack-knife Angle they are Fine... As was mentioned, Caravans have them on the Draw-bar but most seem to be mounted near the Centre of the Bar, where they won't be Damaged in the event of an Accident...

I will be mounting my Water-tank Above the Axle.. :Y: .. This area is the 'Most' Safest in the event of flying stones or Rocks puncturing your tank... And fitting a Guard over it.. A little more Forward than this one...
1507688822_img_5457_zpswqae0vxp.jpg

1507689722_img_5442_zpssdgtdetj.jpg

Not My Trailer , It's taken off Myswag site... but I do like some of the Features of the Frame and locations of items...

LW... :rainbow:

I have a mate that works at a scrap yard that has truck scales. Once I have the camper finished. I will take it there to get weighed.
I'm thinking to mount the spare tire in front of the tool box across the draw bar , so it acts as a stone shield and maybe the gas bottles can be mounted beside the tool box on a purpose built frame attached to the front of the camper ??
I have spare angle here to make it and weld it to the chassis, then just a ring type clamp with a lock for security. Its only a 4.5 kg bottle, so it wont take up much space..
If not, then in the mean time, it travels some where out of sight.

Nice axle and suspension on that trailer build lone wolf and with those tires and rims , it looks very sturdy for off road use.. :Y:

LoneWolf said:

Yeah that could work LW :Y:

That set-up with the spare on the drawbar is Not good... Stones have a habit of flying off your Tyres on the Tow Vehicle and Hitting and rebounding off the spare at twice the speed, Straight Through you Rear Window... That's why Camper Trailers have that Guard around the Front and Angled Down to reflect Stones back Down... One way out of that issue is fit a full length Mudflap under Your Car.... Designed Right they work well...

1507691602_rt2.jpg

There's Plenty of Sizes available for Tool Boxes out there... Being a Sheet-Metal Worker, Toolboxes are Easy for me. ;) .. I have 3 Manufactures of Ute Boxes near me that have so many Different sizes and Shapes if you have trouble finding Your size, just let me know.. :Y:

That set-up was for a Modern Tear-drop kind of thing with matching Landcruiser rims to suit the tow-car.. You can see his build on myswag... But I am using a lot of 'His' Ideas... 3 Months in the Harts Range next year is Why I Need mine just Right...
And the 1/2 ton of Rocks I will be bringing Back... :rolleyes: :lol:

You could use 2 of these (L&R) and Mount them as 2 Separate Boxes... But mounted side by side on their Flat...That will give you the Shape you need, but not as deep... One for Gas (with a vent) and the other for Extras... And Maybe room for your Spare on top if it doesn't interfere with the opening of the doors... A bit of 'Mods' and these could work.. if only they were Deeper... Ute Under-body Side tool Boxes they are...

1507693095_51042.jpg

Thanks Lone wolf
I have still not decided on any tool box yet ..1, no budget 2, not sure what will work best. So the jury is still out ..
A custom box would be good but I worry the price will be more then I can afford ..
In the mean time I will keep searching Gum tree and flea bay for something to turn up
:(

LoneWolf said:
That set-up with the spare on the drawbar is Not good... Stones have a habit of flying off your Tyres on the Tow Vehicle and Hitting and rebounding off the spare at twice the speed, Straight Through you Rear Window... That's why Camper Trailers have that Guard around the Front and Angled Down to reflect Stones back Down... One way out of that issue is fit a full length Mudflap under Your Car.... Designed Right they work well...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7355/1507691602_rt2.jpg

These look awesome ! bet they cost a fortune :eek:

Latest posts