show and tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my biggest gem its a Selenite
Its from Mt Gunsen, South Australia, you will never guess were l brought it??? I found it at a swap meet (car) who would think rocks would be there..
1469699304_win_20160728_16_15_51_pro.jpg

Moderator Edit.
This little person is truly a Gem Herself.
I have spoken to her Mum so people please encourage her.

A beautiful piece.
While it is fun finding rocks and minerals yourself, it can be just as fun finding a nice piece for sale in a spot you would not expect.

It is amazing where you find the unexpected. Very nice find there Little Gem. It will look great on display.

Nice , good to see youngins out there , go to the local lapidary . They will have knowledge on how to transform certain pieces and give info on spots to find more . Or might be nice enough to give you some pieces:) you won't look back .
1469709967_image.jpg
you might end up making something like this :)not mine .

Neat specimen there Little Gem Hunter - crystal clusters of any kind look pretty cool :) I think the mineral selenite usually comes in big, ordinary-looking chunks that they grind up to powder to make a soil improver for farming but your piece looks a lot better than the usual stuff.

It's funny how a mineral can usually just look like a boring old rock but just occasionally it will form amazing looking crystals. Quartz is a very common mineral and a lot of the earth is made of it and it usually doesn't look like anything special. But as would know, sometimes it grows as crystals - here are some that another forum member and myself found last weekend....

28227024360_32e5bc92ee_c.jpg

28510415585_7bfa1e21c9_c.jpg

27894084434_47170bcd8f_c.jpg

1469359814_img_2055.jpg

1469359845_img_2058.jpg

I'm faceting one of the small crystals to give to a friend's mum in return for some nice, hard cover cook books she sent me. I'll put a photo of it in the lapidary section when I'm finished.

Nice amethyst chook there Barney, now I know what to do with my bigger chunks of Lowmead crystal that can't be faceted :)

Little gem hunter said:
This is my biggest gem its a Selenite
Its from Mt Gunsen, South Australia, you will never guess were l brought it??? I found it at a swap meet (car) who would think rocks would be there..
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7955/1469699304_win_20160728_16_15_51_pro.jpg
Moderator Edit.
This little person is truly a Gem Herself.
I have spoken to her Mum so people please encourage her.

Nice specimen!

Mt Gunson is known for some great Aussie minerals, especially Atacamite, Selenite, Gypsum etc... :Y:

Latest posts