Fossils from the Canberra Region (near Wee Jasper)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wal that's awesome mate, will have to try and drag Lee away from the creek and spinels :) so I can have a sticky beak.

Cheers

Col

Let me know if you want a ferret around there anytime...we're always keen for an arvos' fossick, some pretty cool fossils in the area. :)

Cheers Wal.

nice one, there massive, does that mean you've hit ancient sea bed, would you find any gems there

This was a huge inland ocean charlie with coral reefs. There are gemstones (Sapphires/Zircons/Gold) not far away near Wee Jasper. If you look at the link a few posts up it shows the history.

Cheers Wal.

Don't actually hunt fossils Tone.... just that these suckers are lying all around my fishing rods when I'm out wetting a line on this section of river. Searching for unusual ones can be fun while waiting for the fish to bite mate. :lol:

Cheers Wal :)

Love those Brachiopods!!!

Glad to see there are other fossil enthusiasts on this forum :D

Have you ever found a Trilobite? They are present in Silurian age deposits at Yass I believe, although never been out there looking for one myself.

Never found one myself Paleo, But there's a lot of interesting fossils in the area. Will spend a bit of time this spring as the water levels are extremely low again exposing some large deposits.

Cheers Wal.

I believe the whole area was once a shallow sea (My old boy used to be a geologist,once studied the area)..I had an aunty who live on cavan road, about 10k's back from taemas bridge, there was a huge coral outcrop right in the middle of the dirt road that the grader couldn't move, so it stayed there.
very cool area, lots of fossils to be found around the area, mostly plants (chrinoids etc) and bi-valves

Great mix of pasttimes Wal. !
I'm looking to go camping with a mate to take our kids along (about 9yo) . The kids are interested in fossils and fossicking and we want to introduce them to some basic camping as well. I'm looking specifically for somewhere where we can camp, fossick for fossils....and maybe we can get some fishing in :)
Looking at the dam levels at the moment - 67% full - so might be a good time?
Can you suggest some good sites near the fossil beds for camping? We'd want to have no longer than a 1/2 hr walk (young kids).
On maps I can see the old bridge crossing, and the new one.
Sam.

Hi Sam,

Mate Wal and Liz are still out the back of beyond and should be back around the 15th. I'd love to help but haven't been out to the fossil area yet

Cheers

Col

Sam said:
Great mix of pasttimes Wal. !
I'm looking to go camping with a mate to take our kids along (about 9yo) . The kids are interested in fossils and fossicking and we want to introduce them to some basic camping as well. I'm looking specifically for somewhere where we can camp, fossick for fossils....and maybe we can get some fishing in :)
Looking at the dam levels at the moment - 67% full - so might be a good time?
Can you suggest some good sites near the fossil beds for camping? We'd want to have no longer than a 1/2 hr walk (young kids).
On maps I can see the old bridge crossing, and the new one.
Sam.

G'day Sam,

There's a couple of options you might consider Sam. You can camp directly on the banks where the fossils are, and collect fossils while you throw out a line. There are no facilities there though. Or you could camp at Wee Jasper camp site which is about 20 mins away with facilities and commute to the fossil area for a few hours hunt. The lake is not far from Wee jasper camp ground so you could still throw a line for a few hours in the evening.

There's also a few fossils under the Wee Jasper bridge, but no where near as many as Old Taemus Bridge.

Send me a PM once you reach 10 posts and i can give you some more specific details if you like.

Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks for sharing wal, that looks like a really cool spot for both fishing and fossil hunting. :) I live in canberra and it perked my interest. I have two young kids who would really enjoy finding some fossils (as would I) I am not a fossil hunter but do have an interest in it. :) my hubby and I also love fishing but we wouldn't want to hunt out your spot. :)

I had a look at google maps but it looks like it might be on private property (the road and the old bridge)? Is there a public access point at all?

Cheers. :)

G'day Sarn,

The road down to Old Taemus Bridge from the Wee Jasper side is a public gazetted road and the shore line of the dam is Crown Land. If you want to head down that way just send me a PM and i can give you directions.

Cheers Wal.

Hey Wal,
Thanks for your generosity in sharing this info. :) there is a chance we might quickly duck out there this arvo, if not then next weekend (weather permitting. :)

Are dogs allowed to go there?

Cheers and thanks again

Nice find Wal, you guys never seem to amaze me. I was hooked into this hobby after watching yours and Liz's videos and have learned so much. Thanks for sharing, it's a great inspiration to me :D

So yesterday I tried to find the spot that Wal was talking about. We appear to have gotten close but didnt quite find his honey hole :) Wal has since sent me the instructions on how to get there and I look forward to going back again soon. Thanks Wal! :)

Although we didnt find his exact spot we did manage to find some fossils.

I am unable to identify two of them and was hoping for some input from you guys. One of them looks like a fish (well it has the general shape of a fish lol). Whats interesting is the fish shape is completely crystallised, with the body like structure being black crystals and the headlike structure red crystals.

1382316849_fish.jpg

The second looks like a coral of some description with three stems going upwards? For all I know its prolly just a natural rock formation (I really do know very little about this sort of stuff :)

1382316873_coral2.jpg

Interesting find there Sarn, not an expert myself on fossils but those look rare for the area. Would be worthwhile researching them as you may have a great specimen there. look forward to finding out what they are. :eek:

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts