Ferrite rings for SDC or GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
Raided a broken UPS today for a few 12v batteries to run some camp lights and reclaimed a bunch of ferrite rings.

A question came to mind : has anyone tried ground balancing their GPX or SDC with a ferrite ring and was there a noticeable difference?

1468665037_image.jpg

The ones for the GPZ, according to the Minelab ferrite white paper, need to be within a specific tolerance to be useful with it's ground balancing algorithms. Apparently you can't just use any old ferrite?
By using them you may likely upset the natural ground balance or even knock out specific signals. In saying that I do know that ferrites were used on VLF's to assist ground balancing & have read of at least one prospector using them on a GPX but that was for very high iron content/magnetic ground.
A lot of GPZ users, including myself now, don't routinely use the ferrite balancing procedure as it's not necessary in all ground types. I would only use it now if having issues in the above ground conditions & always carry it if needed. I find that the walk & sweep method minus the ferrite works well enough around here.

Thanks Matt

What are your thoughts on working a thrashed patch with manual ground balancing and a ferrite, do you think it would quieten down the background noise and make really small targets more discernible? Or mask small responses?

It could do both i.e. make some signals jump out more or, depending on the ferrite used, could knock some signals out altogether or go either way. If you've got a high iron content patch it might be worth playing around with to see what happens. Can't hurt to try.

Latest posts