Old Mine owners Nuggety gully

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken2m

Ken
Reaction score
I was looking in some papers (actually in his note book from the Bairnsdale school of mines) of my grandfathers and found a letter dated May 23rd 1899. It was posted to him when he was the mining engineer at a mine and the address was NUGGETY GULLY and either Barkers creek or Bakers creek and no state was given so I am presuming it is most likely in Victoria, and was wondering if anybody knew where this particular Nuggety Gully was. The letter originated from 41 Howe Crescent Albert Park Victoria. Looked on Google map stret view and it looks like the house is still standing but in great need of repair but still not bad for a house over 117 years old. My grandfather was the mining engineer on several mines including the Golden Ridge mine near Dargo.

There is a Nuggety gully rd and track near Talbot. Leads into the Caralulup nature reserve.

Info from google maps:

Name: Nuggety Gully
Feature: Stream
Authority ID: VIC5951
State or Territory: Victoria
Country Code: Australia (AU)
Contained Concise Gazetteer: No
COORDINATES
Latitude: -37.185417175
Longitude: 143.682357788

Try matching this with geomaps for mines info

Also look up Barkers Creek Vic 3451
Cheers

If you can get your hands on a John Tully Dunolly maps book I think map 19 (Moliagul) could have references to Nuggetty Gully, Bakers Creek & also Bakers Gully? I no longer have the maps to check but an index list I found "Googling" contains these place names. Might be worth checking out?
Unfortunately there's a Nuggetty Gully on a lot of goldfields.

Yeah I know, I was hoping that the barkers/bakers creek may help to narrow down the area. Also I know that there was open cut, and mining in a tunnel (with tramway) and I think the owner's name was Mcloud Tomic(the signature is difficult to read). It seems to have been a large operation as the letter mentions Accountants and Legal manager (Pearson) and at least 8 men and for that time it seems excessive for a small undertaking. Ken.

also a nuggety gully in NSW too, just to help confuse your search mate, but as you said it was sent from Vic. so i would guess it rules out the nsw location

Another thing that is a problem is that locations have had name changes over the last 100 years. And that names may not have been official names at the time. Ken.

Hi Ken2m
It could very well be Nuggety Gully at Talbot. Talbot used to be known as Barkers Creek. I've done research on that area and was confused at first with the goldfield called Barkers Creek. If you look at current maps of Talbot you will see Barkers Creek running through it. Also old Barkers Creek Goldfields maps marry up with the town now called Talbot. Nuggety Gully runs parallel to and a short distance east of Barkers Creek.
I'd be betting this is the place.
Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, this has been a struggle to find, I will look up the maps I have and see what comes to light. I have several maps of the area, that with the bit of added knowledge things will start to make sense.

Thanks to everyone else that has had any input it is greatly appreciated. Ken.

Thats fine It was worth the look. Just found Grandpa's references last night from that era as well. Will have to look more closely for more info. Thanks Ken.

Mate that's in North Queensland, I live I mackay and bakers creek is a 15 minute drive. Nuggety Gully is a Gully on mount Britton, I've been doing a lot of research on mt Britton lately so when I seen nuggety Gully I knew where it was. My Britton and bakers creek are about 40 minutes from each other. Hope this helps
1478269756_img_6941.jpg

1478269779_img_6943.jpg

Just to throw another spanner in the works, mention changes between Barkers & Bakers Crk.
The area around Harcourt in Victoria was known as Barkers Creek.
Whatever, the uncovering of old historical documents is terrific, we all need to be on the lookout for them and ensure they don't end up as landfill.
If in doubt as to somethings relevance check t out on the forum or donate it to your local historical society.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Just to throw another spanner in the works, mention changes between Barkers & Bakers Crk.
Whatever, the uncovering of old historical documents is terrific, we all need to be on the lookout for them and ensure they don't end up as landfill.
If in doubt as to somethings relevance check t out on the forum or donate it to your local historical society.
Cheers T.

It may have been the individuals view and not the museum of Victoria's view but I offered the assay reports for the golden ridge mine just south of Mayfield on the Dargo high plains, the assay reports were in pristine condition, over 100 years old done on treated cloth in ink detailing the assay results at I think 3 points within the mine, and the response NOT INTERESTED THANK YOU. I almost fell off my chair, the reason they gave was that at any time only 5% of the museums collections was on view at any time, the rest of the items required preservation maintenance weather on display or not, and as funds are limited they barely have enough money to maintain the items they have. I can see the logic, why get more stuff when you cant look after it properly and it may make preventative maintenance later than required on other items, causing damage to them.
If we all chipped in a couple of hundred dollars every year forever, then they would be able to display more and maintain everything they have but until everybody in victoria opens their wallets and gives that money every year, I can see the response being the same. It boils down to everyone wanting everything and not having to pay for it.

As for finding the mine I have found some references to a place in Victoria that has a nuggets mine about 250m from bakers creek, I have found the original track is no longer passable and the terain now is really heavily overgrown with many blackberries blocking the 5+km walk to the mine site. If tatslotto has paid out tonight I may just get a helicopter to drop me off for a couple of days ;) Ken.

ken2m said:
Teemore said:
Cheers T.

As for finding the mine I have found some references to a place in Victoria that has a nuggets mine about 250m from bakers creek, I have found the original track is no longer passable and the terain now is really heavily overgrown with many blackberries blocking the 5+km walk to the mine site. If tatslotto has paid out tonight I may just get a helicopter to drop me off for a couple of days ;) Ken.

that may not be a problem im happy to clear some black berries :)

ken2m said:
Teemore said:
Cheers T.

It may have been the individuals view and not the museum of Victoria's view but I offered the assay reports for the golden ridge mine just south of Mayfield on the Dargo high plains, the assay reports were in pristine condition, over 100 years old done on treated cloth in ink detailing the assay results at I think 3 points within the mine, and the response NOT INTERESTED THANK YOU. I almost fell off my chair, the reason they gave was that at any time only 5% of the museums collections was on view at any time, the rest of the items required preservation maintenance weather on display or not, and as funds are limited they barely have enough money to maintain the items they have. I can see the logic, why get more stuff when you cant look after it properly and it may make preventative maintenance later than required on other items, causing damage to them.
If we all chipped in a couple of hundred dollars every year forever, then they would be able to display more and maintain everything they have but until everybody in victoria opens their wallets and gives that money every year, I can see the response being the same. It boils down to everyone wanting everything and not having to pay for it.

Perhaps try asking the Gold Museum at Ballarat, they may be interested in displaying it, from the sound of it your item has significant historical value! :D

Latest posts