The Boss Hog pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

The Boss Hog pan

I have been asked to give my opinion on the Boss Hog Gold Pan. I must state that I have no affiliation with the manufacture or supplier, and what I say is the way I have seen it at the time.

The pan itself has no flex in it which is a good thing more so when loaded with dirt which will extend the life of the pan. Second point i noticed is the material it is made from which seems to an exultant grade of plastic. Thirdly the gold stood out very clear against the colour of the pan, along with the few blacks which was present. I have a high expectation for this pan and feel it will equal the Garret Super Sluice in every department.

Comparison

Ok so let us have a look at what I am talking about by comparison The Boss Hog next to the Super Sluice pans.

As you can see there is a small difference in the colour but I like the darker green for the very reason stated above.

The riffle section is exactly the same on both pans.

The base of each pan is exactly the same.

The top of each pan is also the same. With all been equal they should operate in the same manner.

Each pan has rim strengtheners in place.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/ibyTHeAlxrY[/video]

Field Test.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/8VOYj4yYyvI[/video]

In Conclusion.

As expected the Boss Hog & Super Sluice pans operated in the same manner felt the same when in use, and both in my humble operation are excellent pans. I have no hesitation in given my recommendation for the purchase of the Boss Hog pan not only did it perform to my expectation the colour of the pan, did help with identifying the gold amongst the background colour of the pan that much easier. For this test I did not season the Gold Boss for I wanted to keep the pan with a sheen on its base to see if it would retain or loss gold in such a condition which it did retain the gold. But improved as the seasoning process evolved I could get quite rugged with my panning. To season a plastic pan you can rub them over with a bit of very fine wet and dry sandpaper or use them for a day out in the field as a sampling pan.

I must thank the Detect A Den Australia's Store 1/33 Orient St Batemans Bay NSW 2536 Phone Number: +61 2 44724666 for making the pan available for testing. http://www.detectaden.com.au/ I would also like to thank Greglz86 for supplying the Comparison Video.

I give Detect A Den permission to use the above report in anyway they see fit.

J.B July 2016

I to have both pans and recently used the Boss hog gave it a good run with heavy mineralized material and agree it does the same job as my Super sluice pan...a darker colour helps forsure.
Now time will tell if the sun will lighten the colour...
And i noticed it is slightly raised in the middle when separating the gold at the end made it difficult, water moved odd...but im sure after some more use it will wear in and wear in nicely.
These are just my observations i also have no affiliation with the Boss hog mob!
It works the same its cheaper and it doesnt have a brand on it!
Im not a brand hero anything thats works is my thing.
You can get a Boss hog pan and have change for a hotdog....

On ya Yobs, mine worked good yesterday, and Yeah notices the little raised bit in the middle, seem to get around it, and Yobsy....it's....a 'Boss Hog' you seem to have gold hog on the brain....what you keen for some hog ribs or somthin??? Bahahahah

Sorry i actually was just thinking about hotdogs for dinner and the new bottle of mapple chilli mustard sauce i got Mmmmm golden goodness see now you will be thinking about that allnight...ive been starring at it all day thinking of what its going to taste like???.....

Maybe give them a wipe with metho or rubbing alcohol, they look like they have an oily residue from molding. they look sweet, if I had more arms to use two pans at once :p I'd grab one for sure! excellent review J :)

Oh nice there digger,......'Maple Chilli Mustard' man where did u get that, if you were close i'd come over for dinner ol mate. I bet it tastes real good!!!!

Like Cecc I have just purchased and used a Boss Hog very recently...agree with all the comments in posts so far.

Good to use and I like that the base is a little convex in the middle...worked well for me when I was finishing off.

Good bit of gear!!

Great review above...well done :)

Im no brand hero either but im not a fan of knocking off designs. You can see that the boss hog is made with cheap plastic ive seen these before and they fade and deteriorate very fast. They crack easily in the cold thats due to the cheap make.
This type of plastic is used to make plant pots it has a high fracture rate.
Speaking from experience i bought one of their kits on ebay under the inprression it was a garrett set.
Cost wise they are similar to the super sluice so really you can save a few bucks buying these but they are clearly making big dollars with these pans. Cost to produce these would be around $2 in australia. Im sorry but the cost of a super sluice partially attributed to its quality and the plastic will out last that of any other pans in the market.

Well that's ok Golddigg, thanks for your opinion and run down on your experience, for me if it only lasts a year that'll do me, if it lasts 5 even more the better, so far I'm happy with it.

G0lddigg@ said:
Im no brand hero either but im not a fan of knocking off designs. You can see that the boss hog is made with cheap plastic ive seen these before and they fade and deteriorate very fast. They crack easily in the cold thats due to the cheap make.
This type of plastic is used to make plant pots it has a high fracture rate.
Speaking from experience i bought one of their kits on ebay under the inprression it was a garrett set.
Cost wise they are similar to the super sluice so really you can save a few bucks buying these but they are clearly making big dollars with these pans. Cost to produce these would be around $2 in australia. Im sorry but the cost of a super sluice partially attributed to its quality and the plastic will out last that of any other pans in the market.

Id have to agree with all of this... But i will go down the "brand hero" road and say if you like the boss hog pan you should have already had a garrett. My old man has a prospector pan that's 25years old and still perfect besides cosmetic wear.

A couple of years ago he used my super sluice and loved the size and riffle design that much it prompted him to buy one (hes a tight arse Dutchman), and i believe they will see his life through. Why someone would consider a knockoff, a direct copy, when an original has stood the test of time and proven in the field far beyond brand loyalties is a poor investment.

Jemba said:
I have been using the Boss Hog Gold Pan now for 12 months. The pan has held up find under the work load i am more than happy with it. :Y:

Glad you like it mate.

Well after 12 months my boss hog is as good as day 1 might have faded a bit but it's durability and strength have stood the test of time. Hasn't cracked, or the cold or heat haven't affected it one bit.

Cheers

Len

I have pushed mine to its limits 3days plus a week and i lend it to newbies whom give it a thrashing...
I frisby throw it at wild dogs ,snakes and those pesky tourists whom need to borrow everything cause they turned up with nothing...lol.
Gota say for a cheap knock off its survived 240days of torment.
Costing less than 10c a day and still working....

Good yobs and Mackka, good ol Yobs....you have a way with words, and you crack me up....ya mad thing. hahahah. :) :Y: :Y:

Yeah outback seen this before, the pattaya and those sorts of pans, I still am fine with the pans I have I can pan fast enough and am in no hurry to see the gold, very happy with my various pans.

Latest posts