Upgrading from X-terra 305

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooster

Darren
Reaction score
am looking at upgrading my machine from the m/l 305 ... what are people thoughts on the at pro ... only going to used for beach and coin/relic hunting

Hi Wooster, They seem to have a big following and being waterproof you could get into the water and find the gold jewellery as a bonus! The only negative comment I have seen was something to do with the tones, or the allocation of the tones to certain metals. Some Aussies prefer the one for the American market over what I think they call the International (our market) because of this. Probably find something if you do a search on Google or maybe someone else here can shed some light on the subject. I think they are pretty good value for money when you have the ability to take them swimming. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and if getting into the water is a necessary feature. Myself, I started with an Ace 250 (great machine for the price) which paid for itself in no time, I got the bug and then went the whole hog and got the Etrac and I absolutely love it, because thats when the silvers really started to pop up. In general terms I believe in the old saying "you get what you pay for"

Ok I got the minelab 305 I want to upgrade something that can find nuggets and all can't spend a arm & a leg what's out there 705 is what I'm looking at ?

I have used 305 and I'm using 705 now. Although 705 got some extra features, it is not more sensitive or it will not go deeper then 305.
The prospecting mode on 705 is only usefull in mildly mineralized ground. When I'm using 705 in some goldfields, most of the time I have to use it in coin mode.
From my experience, best chance to find gold with either of those detectors is to get 6 inch DD coil.
As for upgrade to other detectors, I got White's SPP and I'm happy with it. But you looking at about 1500 bucks. Other members may suggest other machines based on their experience with them.
I found gold with X-terra 705 and SPP, but X-terra is thousands of dollars ahead in finds becouse of coins I had found with it.
Karl

The good old sd2100 , you can get them for the same price as a 705 or less , and a proven gold finder ,

Hi mrgold, like yourself I'm pretty new to prospecting and just recently bought a 2nd detector for the gold fields.
Both my machines are capable of finding gold in the right conditions, one is a Whites MXT Pro (VLF) and the other is a Whites TDI SL (PI), I usually try and detect a park at least once a week to keep learning about my detector and what it can do, I had a detect in a gold producing location last weekend but didn't find gold. I spend hours every week researching & reading as much as I can so when I get the chance to get out I'm hopefully better educated that the previous outing and hopefully some day soon I'll get lucky and find a piece of gold, but I know it aint that simple, if it was we'd all be rich or gold wouldn't be worth that much.

I think the key is to really know your detector and it's capabilities, if you want to find gold then the more you can research an area, your current detector or a detector that might suit your situation then the better off you'll be.
Asking which detector to upgrade to is like asking what's everyone's favourite colour, you're going to get a lot of different responses.

Maybe giving the general location of the area you plan on detecting?
Weight factor of the detector? I require light weight which is why I chose my 2 detectors and the coils to match.
How often you'll get out detecting?
Price range and accessories available for a particular model.
These are just some of the factors that will determine the best detector for your situation and online Internet research is the best way of narrowing down to 2-3 detectors that may suit, then ask peoples opinion on these you've narrowed down.

I might only be new to detecting but I've found it so rewarding researching as much as I could, it gives you a better understanding of "why" and makes every outing more rewarding and hopefully leading to finding my first nugget sooner rather than later.
The more research you put in the more you'll get out of detecting in the long run and the more others will guide you along the way.

Good luck with it and remember to keep it fun.

Yer thanks Pete I do always research and I get out 1, to 3 times a week & got different coils & a pin pointer but yer I'll keep going never going to give up

Latest posts