tarcoola area SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LORD

Jay
Reaction score
Hi All, am in the process of planning a trip to the Tarcoola / Kingoonya area in South Australia. I am finding plenty of info on the old mines in the area but very little on actually detecting the area. Has anyone actually had suscess here with a detector or will i be better off travelling elsewhere within this state. Dont mind giving it a crack but would be good to know there is actually a chance of the good stuff. :D

I was there 6 year ago and had my 'tector with me but didn't take it out of the truck. Where i was i was looking at signs saying "cyanide do not enter" however that didn't scare me off it just told me that that the gold was that fine that they were using "chemical leaching" to extract the invisible gold from the millings in much the same way mercury was used in earlier times - in other words it aint nugget country so need to move on to a more productive area.

casper

Hi all, I was brought up in Tarcoola back in the early '60's I remember that there were numerous mine shafts but they were all very deep and from memory the ground was very sandy with not much rock or quartz around. Remember though I was only a kid then... lol

Thanks for the feedback guys. It seemed like a good option as its close to where i live but i am not going to find it if its 20M down or the size of sand haha.
I'll keep hunting 8)

I have heard of nuggets from around Tarcoola, was going to head there myself last time I was in the area but got sidetracked.

I wouldnt be using cyanide usage as an indicator of only fine gold. Basically every gold mine in Australia uses it, normally after a gravity circuit to remove all the big bits.

LORD said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. It seemed like a good option as its close to where i live but i am not going to find it if its 20M down or the size of sand haha.
I'll keep hunting 8)

Did you end up going to Tarcoola?

Hey mate, nah didn't end up going.
Would still be keen if theres detectable gold there but unsure where I am allowed

I used to Bowhunt Goat on Tarcoola Station, north of the Barrier Hwy and Winaninie Stations to the south of the hwy.

It's pretty well all pastoral and you would need Station Manager permission, as we had, to go on the property.

And yes, I know the gold area is actually north of the Tarcoola Station but I can't remember the station name as it was over 10 years ago now.

Your not thinking of Yunta are you condore22. That's the Barrier highway I know.
I am referring to Tarcoola in the states North, Sarig website shows some activity near Glenoth that looks interesting too

I was there 13 years ago and had my 'tector with me but didn't take it out of the truck. Where i was i was looking at signs saying "cyanide do not enter" however that didn't scare me off it just told me that that the gold was that fine that they were using "chemical leaching" to extract the invisible gold from the millings in much the same way mercury was used in earlier times - in other words it aint nugget country so need to move on to a more productive area.

casper

I was there 13 years ago and had my 'tector with me but didn't take it out of the truck. Where i was i was looking at signs saying "cyanide do not enter" however that didn't scare me off it just told me that that the gold was that fine that they were using "chemical leaching" to extract the invisible gold from the millings in much the same way mercury was used in earlier times - in other words it aint nugget country so need to move on to a more productive area.

casper
Cyanide was used throughout the central Victorian goldfields (eg Ballarat, Bendigo) - its use does not indicate a lack of nuggets, it was simply used after the coarse gold had been separated by gravity separation. Given that rich gold specimens in quartz were reported at Tarcoola - a very rich field - nuggets might be expected.

Cyanide was used throughout the central Victorian goldfields (eg Ballarat, Bendigo) - its use does not indicate a lack of nuggets, it was simply used after the coarse gold had been separated by gravity separation. Given that rich gold specimens in quartz were reported at Tarcoola - a very rich field - nuggets might be expected.
Thanks for the correction - one shouldn't assume without knowing the facts.
casper

Hey @LORD did you end up going for a look ever ? I live in the area and can help with land access new to detecting and need a bit of help getting started
Hey Ringer, Sorry for the delayed reply, been offline) Nah never got out there for a detect but would still be keen if you would be interested in a swing, im always keen. Have you had any success yet.
Just got back form an overnighter to Ulooloo where i got some tiny specs, ill post in the detect show and tell if your interested

Latest posts