SinHof and the CTX3030.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must try and palm that $1 coin off to the bank hidden amongst some others in a coin bag, I managed to get rid of quite a few crappy ones that way - but yeah, it's pretty toasted. ;)

250mm deep :eek: that's hard work in the wet sand with waves hitting :eek: I'm guessing your using one of those long alloy scoops
I've got to commit to the tide line soon before the weather gets cold :rolleyes: keep saying I will but can't get through the dry sand to get to it
Pretty unpredictable weather here too :/ sunny weekend and back to a rainy week :eek: :N:

Hi Danny, Gridding parallel to the surf, starting in the soft sand and working into the low tide line, mostly in 50m blocks, seems to work well enough; re-traced some of the area from yesterday for the two five cent coins, had a couple of runs over new ground before the wind/rain put an end to the arvo's hunt.
Goldpick, yes, dealing with toasted coins at the bank can be a bit of a problem, they, the banks don't seem to like running sandy coins through their coin counting machines, funny that, I try and clean coins up to a point where they don't draw too much attention from bank staff, so far so good.
Silver, we are both thinking along the same lines re the likely spots where a true goldie might be hiding, it would be nice if one had some stones set in it to add to its weight; the thrill of the hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers, SinHof.

Hi Danny,
Have not tackled the shallows at this stage, surf was too big yesterday, caused enough issues as it was, loads of kelp being pushed all over the beach and washing away my grid lines, just looking out the window now, conditions don't look to good for a swing on the low tide this afternoon, heavy rain showers and windy.
B5, I have a largish s/s beach scoop that I made, it's a brute of a thing and weighs a ton to drag around, that said it works very well in the water, too date I stick with a medium size plastic shovel, strong and light to carry when working dry to damp sand.
Cheers, SinHof.

Evening All,
Well the rain cut inland before it reached the beach that has been the hot location these past few days. I was able to put in a couple of hours to check out the low tide line at last; not a lot to report, more sinkers and lures, a few ring pulls were all that came to light,a bit disappointing as there were a lot of stones/pebbles in a line just below where I finished on previous hunts, still trying to work out how beaches work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The noreasters had moved a bit more sand along the beach so I had a couple more runs along the new drop-off, schrapnell , hell five cent coins everywhere, along with a selection of tens, twenties and a couple of fifties, goldies were few and far between, most coming from a new area yet to be fully explored.
Overall the past few days have been quite rewarding on a number of fronts, exercise, fresh sea air and a some play $$$$$ to invest in this great hobby.
1489576574_20170315_194520.jpg

I tend to dig most targets on the beach, this one was certainly different, did I mention it almost blew the speakers of my harness.
1489576721_20170315_171037.jpg

The low tide finds.
1489576789_20170315_195355.jpg

Cheers, SinHof.

Lol, nothing worse than having to carry a heavy item like a hammer around with you for the rest of the session - PITA. :D Are there any natural barriers on your local beaches that might help some of the heavier targets to drop out - for example creek outfalls? :)

silver said:
Nice lump hammer find SinHof. :D
I think you've found the answer to..... how do you bend tent pegs in sand?...... With an FBH :eek: :lol: :lol:
what the hell was that doing at the beach :eek: I didn't think the swell was big enough to sort the coins but looks like it was 8)
Nice amount of old ones have come out there :cool: :Y:
Are the two bottom coins silvers? 8)

Nice looking hunt Sinhoff , plenty of old coins there , usually means there still plenty on that beach mate , I would be hitting that for the next couple of weeks!

Good luck mate , hope there is more great pictures to come!

Evening All,
Thanks for the comments.
GoldPick, on this particular beach there are no natural barriers as such, just a narrow section at one end that has taken a battering over the past week and again last night, will post up new finds shortly.
B5, the bottom two coins are 1 and 2 cent BBs, thankfully not too many thus far, 5 cent coins are everywhere, starting to ignore them , leave them for another beach detectorist to find.
Cheers, SinHof.

Evening Everyone,
The thrill of the hunt, stuff the rain and wind I'm off to the beach again. Last night's north east blow took more sand off the bank above the productive strip of beach and the fun was on again this PM. Currently there are three benches just above the normal high tide mark, due to beach erosion the top bench has been reduced to an average of a metre or so wide, last Monday when I first worked it, it was at least, on average two metres wide, it looks like it has a fair few coins locked away in the remaining bank/benches, it will take another big NE blow to shift more sand, the local weather man tells us it should occur Friday night/Saturday morning, here we go again, bloody beauty.
Had a quick sprint closer to the low tide mark and hit an interesting target, 12/45 on the 3030, Hmmmmm!!!!! silver I'm thinking. after several attempts to recover said target, waves kept swamping and filling in the hole, finally out popped a 925 medium sized ring.
Here are some images of the afternoons activities and finds.
Cheers, SinHof.
1489660268_20170316_151454.jpg

The benches and bank erosion.
1489660395_20170316_151402.jpg

$1 dollar coin in situ high up on the sand cliff, bring on another east coast low.
1489660913_20170316_184106.jpg

This afternoon's hunt finds.
1489660987_20170316_202332.jpg

A well worn 1923 three p and and the 925 ring after a clean.

Mmmmm, tasty erosion! Got to love it when fresh finds drop out of the cuts in the sandhills. Last cut that I detected had threepences lying all over the place, many of which were sunbaking on the surface. Hopefully you will get some more erosion to replenish things for a fresh detect. :)

Arrrrh :eek: toss that cop car into someone else's beach :lol: :lol: It might bring the bad luck speeding fine curse :eek:
I think I've got to check on some erosion soon 8)
The bank in front of the cut away looks huge :eek: nice work retrieving the ring in that situation :cool: :Y:

1936 3d from here SinHof :Y: :D :Y:
8) :p :cool:
And a ring probly just as old hey ! :cool: