gold panning areas in kurri kurri,cessnock areas or any other close by

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Im chrisgrizz1 and i'm just wondering if there is any whare in the kurri kurri,cessnock or surrounding areas for prospecting and panning.thanks everyone.i'v never panned before.any information would be great.searched goolgle for info on gold areas in the hunter valley nsw but theres not much on there.thanks again.

Nothing worth trying around here in newy. Nundle is the closest . Ive read that there is some gold around denman but you would have to know what to look for to find it. If you go to nundle u will find gold all the way along the river just dig behind rocks and stay away from the popular area and you should get a little colour in your pan . There maybe a few spots around gloster aswell

Hi and welcome chrisgrizz1.

Nundle is pretty well the closest gold bearing area to Cessnock. There's also Moonan Flat which a little closer, but honestly I wouldn't bother with it as accessibility is restricted and I'm not aware of any recent gold being found there.

I've also heard the rumor about gold being discovered somewhere around the Denman area, but I can't confirm this myself.

Nugget.

Gold was discovered near Merriwa about 50km from Denman but not much info.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18938429?searchTerm=merriwa gold&searchLimits=

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/107597364?searchTerm=merriwa

Possibly the most gold that would have been anywhere near there would have been on the Mudgee to Muswellbrook Cobb & Co coach :lol:

You never know though! There used to be a fossicking area on Ringwood Rd but I believe NPWS have swallowed it up now? Can't find out much about it but think it was mainly gemstones there & don't know what type?

Can't remember where I heard/read it but also remember something about gold in the Goulburn River near Sandy Hollow, although need to be aware of National Park area/s & would be lots of private property no doubt. Could be worth a day trip - at worst there is some nice country around there for a day out.

I live at Denman and I can guarantee you on one thing, I haven't found any at all. As far as gold at Sandy Hollow, i'm thinking the only stuff you would find would be a xxxx Gold at the Tourist Hotel. sorry to dampen you're enthusiasm but I don't know of any, but would be real keen to hear if you find any.

bisho said:
I live at Denman and I can guarantee you on one thing, I haven't found any at all. As far as gold at Sandy Hollow, i'm thinking the only stuff you would find would be a xxxx Gold at the Tourist Hotel. sorry to dampen you're enthusiasm but I don't know of any, but would be real keen to hear if you find any.

Yeah it wasn't Sandy Hollow I had read about. Sandy Hollow was mentioned on a previous thread by mistake & for some reason I remembered that :lol: Was actually Jerry's Plains in the Hunter River but don't know if it was proven or not?
Interesting to find that a couple of years ago Gold of Ophir applied for exploration leases on the Hunter Valley around Singleton & Karuah. Be interesting to find out if they did any good?

mbasko said:
bisho said:

Yeah it wasn't Sandy Hollow I had read about. Sandy Hollow was mentioned on a previous thread by mistake & for some reason I remembered that :lol: Was actually Jerry's Plains in the Hunter River but don't know if it was proven or not?
Interesting to find that a couple of years ago Gold of Ophir applied for exploration leases on the Hunter Valley around Singleton & Karuah. Be interesting to find out if they did any good?

I remember hearing about the exploration leases at Karuah but that is at least 3 hour drive from sandy hollow though!!

Get a map and draw a line from Stewarts Brook in the Hunter to Bingara up near Inverell, the whole way along that line is groups of mines at regular intervals. The first group is Stewarts Brook to Ellerston, the second is from just south of Hanging Rock to Chaffey, a few dotted through Tamworth, A heap in the Split Rock/Barraba Woodsreef area and then the Bingara group.

I suspect that in years to come there will be very deep mines in the 'gaps' between these groupings chasing the ore where it has dipped away from the old timer methods of hard rock mining.

There is as many mines in the Stewarts Brook to Ellerston grouping as there is in Nundle... ie MORE than just Moonan to look at in that area...

And just out of interest, an area a few km east of Singleton is the 'next place' on from the groupings that are fairly equally spaced that the reef would pop up again if it were going to...

1374236033_nnswgold.jpg

Gidday criss, new chum here. And there does not seem to be much on offer for us, me being in port stephens. Copeland/barrington tops has some but the old timers only found 1500 ounces! In the creek, but would make for an interesting visit with a tour of the mine there. Nundel is on my list when i get my highbanker and other gear sorted, having a caravan to stay onsite will give me plenty of time to look around. Good luck and i will let you know how i go in this area.

not sure about any gold around there but when i was young dad and i use to find agate on the hunter river bank at jerrys planes. we use to walk east of the bridge. this could be something different to do between hunting the yellow stuff.
mick

forgot to mention the bridge is west of jerrys plans on the golden hwy a couple of km

Howdy criss, it's pretty hard finding gold around the hunter but little stuff can be found up at barrington tops and copeland, best shot would be nundle as I go up there all the time and always come back with something to show. I have also panned a little flour gold up near nelsons bay at a spot I know. Hope you have some lucky and if you need any tips drop my a message.

Cheers Jae

Hi!
so, im quite new to the whole gold hunting hobby, but, I take it that Nundle is the best place to begin? im starting out with just the basic pan.. any tips?
Thanks x :)

Hey all ive heard of small amounts gold being found in the nelson bay shoal bay areas and i got to the area once a month and would like some insight as to where they are so i can take my kids for pan ??? Cheers any surggestions will be gratefull

Nugget said:
Hi and welcome chrisgrizz1.

Nundle is pretty well the closest gold bearing area to Cessnock. There's also Moonan Flat which a little closer, but honestly I wouldn't bother with it as accessibility is restricted and I'm not aware of any recent gold being found there.

I've also heard the rumor about gold being discovered somewhere around the Denman area, but I can't confirm this myself.

Nugget.

might have to check this one out, do you know any more info??

Latest posts