Whats cooking in the workshop?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wdbob

Robert Law
Reaction score
This is what happens when you cannot get away.

Project BLUEBOWL
One 50c bluebowl. From recycle shop at tip, I think it was an air fryer pan in a former life. Appears to work but further testing/tuning to be done.

1463884374_image00008.jpg

Project FOSSICKING PICK
Many and varied. (Help I can't stop). Remains to be seen which one becomes favorite but I do like the narrow crevasse tool (now finished).

1463885227_image00006.jpg

project 4"TROMMEL
Mark 2 Nearing completion, will be manual for NSW and motorised for VIC. Another motor from the tip ie childrens electric bike which comes with a great little plastic gearbox. This one was 6 v but appears to handle 12v ok and I will add a speed controller as well.
As with the unfinished Mark1 I am stuck on how to feed the thing but would like a similar setup to a high banker once I get around the 4" vertical feed.
Also need to plumb in 1100 gph 12v pump.

1463886902_image00001.jpg

Cheers
Bob

Interesting setup mate, thanks for sharing. Some water down the feed system and a classifier, mabey some simple bars angled downwards should do the trick. Blue bowl isn't blue! Omg blasphemy :p

Joiner on the 90 ? Won't the gold (fine) get caught on that lip ! 8) as it turns, or am I missing something.
Looks phenomenal though(trommel) ! :p

Silver
What you can see is an endcap which is opened out to receive the 90 deg bend. May add a gasket if splash back is a problem,same goes for centre shaft where it passes through the bend. Will need to classify to under 2" to avoid blockages
Will take more pics when up and running (maybe a video).

Thanks all for your comments

Hi 4wdbob, where do you get your pick handles from or do you make your own. I seem to be having trouble finding handles with round shanks. All the ones I can find are either skinny little things that wouldn't last 2 hits or they are oval which makes it difficult to make a feral for.

Wishfull,
Have been experimenting with a wood lathe using any timber i could find including an old desk leg which was pretty old.
Some picks are light weight with short handles and also looking at a 90cm more rugged one.
Have not seen a commercial version to compare but enjoy turning and experimenting.

I could turn something up for you but suggest you try a Mens Shed if you have one local or a wood turning club. Either could turn a handle to your specifications at a nominal cost.
Suggest you also keep an eye out for local timber. I,ve also used green timber and sealed with linseed oil and wax to avoid splitting.

Only have one plough disc which was well worn and rusted from bracing a fence post for years which is why the pick heads are very short but I am really happy with the narrow crevassing pick which is 2 layers of steel to give it some weight. All untested todate.

If you still need something made up let me know.

Cheers Bob

white ants do not eat it either..,, :/ the timber industry is trying to get those trees to cross with Australian hardwood.. ;) and then we will have some very serious termite free timber to build with... :p

Hardwood handles for picks is a given. Think of them like shovels, or hammers.
The trommel may need some shielding around the barrel, motion and gravity won't do all the work.
Apart from this I applaud your industrious efforts.

Hi all,

I have a question re riffle bars. I have been making mine out of aluminium and have sort of mastered welding with propane torch (sort of).

Tried/tested a couple of highbankers in the back yard and happy with them untill its time to pull them apart which is very difficult with small gravel jamming the riffle in place.

My question is what sort of gap do you normally have either side?

Also loading up the camper next week for 2 or 3 weeks prospecting with the Xterra 705. This is my first attempt at detecting and I am still trying to decide between the GT and Tibooburra if it ever stops raining. Any recommendations would be appreciated. My good wife will be happy with either.
At least I'm not short of choice with the picks. Latest is a monster from a 4wd leaf spring and long handle and a narrow crevass pick from the offcut.

Bob

Smallest gap possible. If you have a bigger gap it will be jammed with larger gravel. If you have the sides higher than the riffles the gravel will not get in as much. Ken.

Thanks Ken, I'm glad I asked as I was about to try building another riffle. My sluice has spread slightly and the bend is not as sharp as I would like which is possibly the cause of my problem. Maybe if I fill the gap with a felt gasket?
Another thought is to do away with the solid riffle and attach bars to a rubber mat.

Thanks again, Bob

Latest posts