Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some time in the shed today ( man therapy ) making this.
1526548720_bcfdb13c-b4ca-42b6-9eda-b6b891a87e3d.jpg

1526548721_65a22dd0-5c25-4e15-9a60-5b12d6489c4b.jpg

1526548721_3b053423-5d5c-4250-954b-7cf0701e7565.jpg

Repurposed an old worn out 14 stilson wrench handle and a couple of tips from some ripper/scarifier blades found on a bush detecting trip. They are made from high carbon forged steel and highly tempered.
I needed a good little rock picken pick..... should work a treat.

Nice work OzzieAu :Y: so how did you glue it all together anything cast I've tried to weld has gone pear shaped. Have been told thee are cast welding rods available but haven't investigated.

Hi RM... no cast, just old good quality forged steel, easy as to weld with my 40yr. old dinosaur arc.
I cant weld cast or galv for nuts... dont know about special rods either... I went to trade school a lo...oong time ago :lol:

OzzieAu said:
Hi RM... no cast, just old good quality forged steel, easy as to weld with my 40yr. old dinosaur arc.
I cant weld cast or galv for nuts... dont know about special rods either... I went to trade school a lo...oong time ago :lol:

Cast isnt hard to weld. Use cast rods. Heat the metal first then weld it but, Do Not let it cool very quickly at all. Wrap it in something like welding gloves and cover with a bag or put it in lime or sand and let it cool for at least 15 minutes. If it is a thick piece you should peen it, meaning tapping it with an engineers hammer on the welds using the rounded part and then very gradually cooling it.
But I could be wrong :)
Galv grind off the galv and weld it. Fumes are really nasty. Just ask me.

OzzieAu said:

Thought the old wrench was cast not forged my bad :8 :/. Yeah trade school for me was a while ago not as looong as you though :D.

the other day i bought one of the brickies scoop things from Bunnings and 2 large screwdrivers from BJ Tools
cut the scoop in half and welded them onto the screwdrivers
and to all of you people that follow my escapades yes i did start a fire but it wasent big so no fire truck needed just some water :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D
and yes i burnt 2 fingers but no Ambos required just some cold water and ice :8 :8 :8 :8 :8
1527046465_100_74031.jpg

1527046478_100_74041.jpg

Mix 1/2 bucket dry sand,
1/4 Bucket charcoal,
3 cups raw sugar together.
If you wish to harden,
Heat your job to cherry red,
Drop in and cover and leave to cool.
If you have welded cast,
Drop it in and cover it up.
I learn't this one a long time ago.
Wishfull said:
OzzieAu said:

Cast isnt hard to weld. Use cast rods. Heat the metal first then weld it but, Do Not let it cool very quickly at all. Wrap it in something like welding gloves and cover with a bag or put it in lime or sand and let it cool for at least 15 minutes. If it is a thick piece you should peen it, meaning tapping it with an engineers hammer on the welds using the rounded part and then very gradually cooling it.
But I could be wrong :)
Galv grind off the galv and weld it. Fumes are really nasty. Just ask me.

Latest posts