Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.. Happened in 2016.... and he only went back to work in December last year.... Grinders with-out a safety switch are bad news..... Many in the Air-con industry have what we call 'The 9" Scar'... caused from a 9" Grinder kicking back and getting you up the inside of your arm.... I have been close, but have seen many get it.....

LW....

Here is one for you Wishful....

1521969212_todd-grinder-cutting-blade.jpg

LW....

LoneWolf said:
Did someone mention Grinders... :lol:

Gotta love the Grinder... One of my Fav tools. :) ... In our industry they are our most used tool... Treat them with respect... Mis-treat them and this is what happens...
:eek: This happened to a fellow workmate 10 min before beer-o-clock... Cutting back a piece of air-con duct with a 9" grinder...

Sliced right through his steel-cap boots.... Reported wrong on this cool site... https://www.traderisk.com.au/tradie-mayhem-november-2016

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7355/1521947138_kyle-heel-injury.jpg

LW...

Please enlighten me how that really occurred ?

Was it the sharp duct that cut his foot or the grinder with cutoff disc ?

I know a lot of sites ban them but I still use one in my premises.

Wishfull said:
Bugger that. Years ago they bought out a 4 inch angle grinder steel disc that had chainsaw type teeth on it. I've got one in my shed somewhere.

I remember those, they were called Arbortech, the one with the chainsaw teeth was their first model. If by chance you can't find your one any more you will be pleased to know that now you can buy this one, the improved model. :) :) https://www.arbortechtools.com/au/industrial-blades/ :Y: :Y:

I think the Arbortech had 4 tungsten tips , more circular than saw blade tip. I had one for cleaning up burls. Very scary, but it did the job and very quickly.
On a lathe one day decided to put a glove on my tooling hand. Not a good idea. Luck to still have all fingers.
Please play safe everyone, especially the inventors that we continuously see on the forum.
Mackka

We were Replacing a large commercial Air-con unit.... There is 2 sides to a unit, return air and supply air.... The new unit was a bit larger than the old one and we had to cut 25mm of the return air side mounting flange... when he got down to the corner, I wanted to roll the unit over to make it easier, instead he kept cutting to cut through the bottom corner and the 9" grinder grabbed and kicked back and got the foot just below the ankle that he had on top of the unit to hold it still.... I couldn't believe the extent of injury he got, and it happened in the blink of the eye .. Seen many a stupid things in my Safety Officer days....
Most sites have banned the 9" grinder, so we use a 8" now.... still get the same injuries.... :rolleyes:

LW....

Arbortec yep that sounds familiar.

A bloke here was cutting a 44 gallon drum that had been used to store poison in. He was using a 9 inch angle grinder with a cutting disc. One of his mates warned him not to do it but, he said she'll apples mate. Shortly after the drum exploded, it sent the grinder up to his head cutting his face open and taking out his eye. Everyone thought he was dead. He did live but has a nasty scare and one eye.

It happens so quick, most times you don't have time to react... I have a pic of something simular Wishful, But I won't put it up.... Too gory for some... :|

LW....

LoneWolf said:
We were Replacing a large commercial Air-con unit.... There is 2 sides to a unit, return air and supply air.... The new unit was a bit larger than the old one and we had to cut 25mm of the return air side mounting flange... when he got down to the corner, I wanted to roll the unit over to make it easier, instead he kept cutting to cut through the bottom corner and the 9" grinder grabbed and kicked back and got the foot just below the ankle that he had on top of the unit to hold it still.... I couldn't believe the extent of injury he got, and it happened in the blink of the eye .. Seen many a stupid things in my Safety Officer days....
Most sites have banned the 9" grinder, so we use a 8" now.... still get the same injuries.... :rolleyes:

LW....

yeah understand

typically if i am using a 9" i rest my elbows on each knee and swing at the elbow so its held more rigidly but some guys think you hold your arms out and expect to hold back their torque using shoulder strength ~ not going to happen.

commiserations to the bloke.

The amount of people i have seen using the part of the disc spinning away from them is unreal , you should always use the disc going into the gaurd and as close to the gaurd as possible. :eek: scary suff :eek:
I can use a 9 inch with precision like a pocket knife. Its a skill that takes years to be confident with and never loose respect for the nine inch as it will still bite.

Every body should have scared themselves with a 4 or 5 inch grinder long before the even consider using a nine inch.

Great tool :Y: just need to be used appropriately and expect one day it will bite , a bit like a Rottweiler they are mans best freind until oneday the chomp you up.

He is Ok now he has gone back to work.. Light Duties for at least another 6months..... 14 months on Compo is Not fun... I treat all Power tools with respect.... Seen many accidents with power tools. Eyes, toe's, fingers, even injuries between the legs. :rolleyes: ... We need a section just on Power tool stupidity..... :lol:

LW....

Had a very close brush with death during my time as a fitter and turner.
The culprit never owned up.
We used to mount Holden and Ford cylinder heads up in a 21" Macson lathe and machine the face to take out any warp or water port damage.
Needless to say as the head revolved the tool was not in constant contact with the cast iron until it reached the centre area.
Also the machine was run at very low revolutions.
Now the drama;
Persons unknown passed by the lathe while I was away and set the machine in top speed.
I returned unaware and pulled the lever to get the chuck spinning and spin it did at high speed I reached in to pull the lever to stop the chuck revolving and my shirt caught the spinning head and lifted me into the the air, fortunately the font of my shirt ripped out, the cylinder head flew out of the chuck across the floor.
If my shirt hadn't ripped apart and the head had not come free I would have been smashed to pieces revolving around the chuck.

Needless to say I had to sit down and suck a few fags until I stopped shaking.

One of my boys and I built a few of these bucket mouse and rat traps we'll chuck'em in the chook shed's and see how they go. The wife saw them and gave orders she wants a few so with tomorrow being her birthday we grabbed the necessary bits and pieces and put them together. Plenty on YouTube to look at and very basic with the ability to catch heaps of the little kritters at once. The centre piece is a bit of aluminium tube made a few timber hub's the axle is high tensile fencing wire. So all that's needed is 1/4 fill the bucket with water bate the centre pole with peanut butter and check'em each morning :Y:
1522824272_img_20180404_163238.jpg
1522824304_img_20180404_163030.jpg
1522824333_img_20180404_163005.jpg