Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's unreal mate. Great idea, listen to music whilst out swinging or are you planning to connect it to the detector to enhance the sound of the signals to let you know when you have found a target?

:D Wow am pretty happy with my 1st attempt at making a ring :cool:
1515917216_img_20180114_185543_433.jpg

I choose Silver for 1st try as I think it is a little easier to control than Gold :eek:
1515917580_img_20180114_185515_875.jpg

:| :rolleyes: And yes it is :lol: :lol:
My blow torch may be a bit of over KILL But just for joining I think a small Propane Torch may work better :Y:
Is Fun just playing around trying ( and failing ) But is easy enough to remelt and roll and try to join again :Y: :D

Smoky bandit said:

Great work Smoky. I've been looking around for a covered trailer for the Honda 90 quad (Zimmer). It got badly blocked up with dust on its maiden voyage to the Pilbara. We had it covered with an elastic sided cover but when the cover was removed each time the Zimmer had to be blown down with compressed air to bring it back to original colour. I just returned it for the first service and they told me that the air cleaned was fully blocked but it's only consumed about four or five tanks of fuel.

The cost of a decent covered trailer blew me away so I thought the best way would be to cover what we have. If I build a steel frame the canvas is going to cost at least $1500 and that won't be dust proof. The next option is to build an aluminium cover along the lines of what you've built there but I haven't welded aluminium for about 30 years.

I thought that should be simple enough. I loaded up my big old Lincoln mig welders and took them off to Broughtons Auction. They come up for sale this weekend so hopefully I get a few dollars back. Then I googled TIG welders and found a nice little Mig/Tig/Stick welder for $900. I emailed my son for advice and found out that I need an AC Tig for aluminium and this one wouldn't do it. It looks like I'll need to spend another $1000 for a basic Tig to do the job. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick to sell my mig welders :/

Last time I used a Tig we had a water cooled HF unit connected to the old stick welder. You'd think if it worked back in 1985 it'd still work today :rolleyes: Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Moneybox said:
Smoky bandit said:

Great work Smoky. I've been looking around for a covered trailer for the Honda 90 quad (Zimmer). It got badly blocked up with dust on its maiden voyage to the Pilbara. We had it covered with an elastic sided cover but when the cover was removed each time the Zimmer had to be blown down with compressed air to bring it back to original colour. I just returned it for the first service and they told me that the air cleaned was fully blocked but it's only consumed about four or five tanks of fuel.

The cost of a decent covered trailer blew me away so I thought the best way would be to cover what we have. If I build a steel frame the canvas is going to cost at least $1500 and that won't be dust proof. The next option is to build an aluminium cover along the lines of what you've built there but I haven't welded aluminium for about 30 years.

I thought that should be simple enough. I loaded up my big old Lincoln mig welders and took them off to Broughtons Auction. They come up for sale this weekend so hopefully I get a few dollars back. Then I googled TIG welders and found a nice little Mig/Tig/Stick welder for $900. I emailed my son for advice and found out that I need an AC Tig for aluminium and this one wouldn't do it. It looks like I'll need to spend another $1000 for a basic Tig to do the job. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick to sell my mig welders :/

Last time I used a Tig we had a water cooled HF unit connected to the old stick welder. You'd think if it worked back in 1985 it'd still work today :rolleyes: Oh well, back to the drawing board.

AC / DC tigs are not cheap , if youre only putting aluminium sheet on a frame then dont weld it , use pop rivets and bostik 70-03 ( aeroplane glue) which I think is twice as good as sikaflex.

If you need to knock up the frame using Ali SHS for example then you could use AC tig for that ($3000-5000) or look at the 240 volt Esab 200i mig , it can do up to 6mm steel , 3 - 4 mm thick Ali and also silicon bronze which you probably wont use , silicon bronze is used for swimming pool fences ( legal requirement ) and for welding zinc plated sheet metal as found on many modern car bodies. They can also do it in synergic option which means you set the material thickness , material type , and the machine sets wire speed automatically after 2 seconds of welding.

Those little Esabs kick asss , Silverwater welding in Sydney sold me one for $1570 , cheaper than the Kemppi equivalent and better machine. I have 500 amp 3 phase multifunction welders worth $15,000 to $24,000 each , but on light materials when I only have 240 volts the esab 200i is indispensable

If you are going to use one for Ali make sure you get the Teflon liner to go with it to prevent the wire balling up inside the torch every 2 minutes.

***disclaimer *** go to a shop and try one before you buy

HeadsUp said:
Moneybox said:
Smoky bandit said:

AC / DC tigs are not cheap , if youre only putting aluminium sheet on a frame then dont weld it , use pop rivets and bostik 70-03 ( aeroplane glue) which I think is twice as good as sikaflex.

If you need to knock up the frame using Ali SHS for example then you could use AC tig for that ($3000-5000) or look at the 240 volt Esab 200i mig , it can do up to 6mm steel , 3 - 4 mm thick Ali and also silicon bronze which you probably wont use , silicon bronze is used for swimming pool fences ( legal requirement ) and for welding zinc plated sheet metal as found on many modern car bodies. They can also do it in synergic option which means you set the material thickness , material type , and the machine sets wire speed automatically after 2 seconds of welding.

Those little Esabs kick asss , Silverwater welding in Sydney sold me one for $1570 , cheaper than the Kemppi equivalent and better machine. I have 500 amp 3 phase multifunction welders worth $15,000 to $24,000 each , but on light materials when I only have 240 volts the esab 200i is indispensable

If you are going to use one for Ali make sure you get the Teflon liner to go with it to prevent the wire balling up inside the torch every 2 minutes.

***disclaimer *** go to a shop and try one before you buy

Thanks, Good to get the HeadsUp ;) I'll take a look at it but I was hoping to get a Tig for various little aluminium ideas. I've tried pushing ali wire before and it only seems to work well if you can keep the path really straight and that's difficult on most jobs.

Moneybox said:
Smoky bandit said:

The cost of a decent covered trailer blew me away so I thought the best way would be to cover what we have. If I build a steel frame the canvas is going to cost at least $1500 and that won't be dust proof.

Another option would be to talk to an upholsterer or a motor trimmer and use a heavy duty exterior vinyl like awnings for caravans. The top of the line stuff is as cheap as chips. To open/close it up just use heavy duty camper trailer type zip with an extra flap covering it held closed with a wide velcro strip something like this
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0K1GC_vbSE[/video]
You should be able to get something like what you want made for under a grand, just don't go to a camping/caravan place ;)

Latest posts