Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today, but in time to give it a try on the New England gemfields over Christmas . I woke up the morning before I left and thought of all that bending over.

1451895886_image.jpg

It worked well and would have just as easily been set up over a bucket if the water level in our dam was down. I did need to relocate the chain to the bottom and use a crowbar to extract it at the end of the day as I got a little bit excited when I hammered it in the ground.

1451895928_image.jpg

1451895953_image.jpg

1451896531_image.jpg

Have seen a few people up there using willoughby's, I reckon I can do 3x more just sieving straight into a tub. Sieving into a creek is pretty hard on your back though. I much prefer having a tub to sieve into next to the creek.

Build looks good.

Couple of nice Zircons there. :)

Nothing beats the wrists and elbows attached directly to the sieves for speed Heath but I was quietly hoping the Mrs or kids may have taken up he novelty of the new contraption. :( I did get some quality time jiggling with a beer in one hand though, so it was well worth the build time. :D

I might try to get a table for a plastic water tub to sit on so it is elbow height next time, although I am eying off some old bike gears thinking a hand driven trommel might be worth a tinker.

Wally69 said:
Nothing beats the wrists and elbows attached directly to the sieves for speed Heath but I was quietly hoping the Mrs or kids may have taken up he novelty of the new contraption. :( I did get some quality time jiggling with a beer in one hand though, so it was well worth the build time. :D

I might try to get a table for a plastic water tub to sit on so it is elbow height next time, although I am eying off some old bike gears thinking a hand driven trommel might be worth a tinker.

Mate, you're always full of good ideas, a hand trommel would be pretty cool and hopefully process heaps more with a lot less effort. May get the rest of the family more interested and motivated for fossicking too.

Im sure you guys will get sick of me posting this stuff but here are a pair of earrings i made the other day. all sterling silver set threepence coins, as an idea if you have been finding them in good condition i could make them for the wife in earrings/pendant/charm just send me a PM - Thinking of starting a thread with my creations so i don't keep filling this one up
77F568B8-E55B-4502-9E61-F92ECFBD71CA_zpsrws3ihog.jpg

thanks guys, only being new to the hobby they took me awhile but I'm sure i will get faster as time goes on. I have enough threepence to make about 10 pairs at the moment :)

Hey Aussie, this was my first attempt and would say about 3 or so hours when into making them. I hand made the bezel which is the silver that goes around the coin and soldered it closed. I have seen other people online who just drill a whole in the top and put a jump ring through. This also includes all the polishing as well as these coins we're filthy at the start.

Sa_bogan said:
Im sure you guys will get sick of me posting this stuff but here are a pair of earrings i made the other day. all sterling silver set threepence coins, as an idea if you have been finding them in good condition i could make them for the wife in earrings/pendant/charm just send me a PM - Thinking of starting a thread with my creations so i don't keep filling this one up

Maybe your own topic would be good. We can drool over all your creations in one place :D

I love em Sa_bogan and your full of ideas mate. Again..another hard choice where to make a thread. I'd probably learn more towards Lapidary section mavey for jewellery as well as a fair bit similar is posted around that section :) its more than a general topic!

Latest posts