Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baz

Could a crevice tool be made with a leaf sping and cut it with a angle grinder?

I am trying to work out how I could make one for myself

Goody

goody2shoes said:
Baz

Could a crevice tool be made with a leaf sping and cut it with a angle grinder?

I am trying to work out how I could make one for myself

Goody

Yep a grinder with a cut off wheel will cut leaf springs, the better the quality of cut off wheel means you won't use as many as using poor quality wheels. Nothing worse than a crap cutting wheel, Flexovit are good quality wheels.

https://www.flexovit.com/en-emea/cutting-and-grinding-wheels

You'll find them at any reputable hardware store :Y: :beer:

As a knife maker, I would hazard a guess that handle length is very important for the functionality of a given tool used. 20mm can make a heck of a difference, particularly if you are scraping out crevices all day.

Goody, if you would like one, let me know, and I will make you one for about $40. It is not as simple as just cutting and bending.

When you heat it up in the cutting, (and you will) as well as heating it up enough to forge it into shape, you destroy the metallurgical properties of the spring steel, rendering it nearly as soft as mild steel. This will not last, not perform the task.

There is a whole other level or heat treating to harden, then tempering it back to spring steel again.

Baz.

An old BBQ fork with bits cut off works well Goody.... I also use some BBQ skewers but they can be a bit tough to hang onto after a few hours of scratching around...

LW.....

After filling in a few gaps and framing the canopy with cable ties, I set to work painting it up today, as well as working on the display stand.

IdWDBkb.jpg

hgEuRMW.jpg

DRz2Slx.jpg

BMzMox1.jpg

Z9IucZt.jpg

q32TJ9d.jpg

nmPfD4M.jpg

p95nSkq.jpg

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/P1DRm0yqi5Q[/video]

Late one last night, making the details for the engine access panels and mounting the cannons.

For the engine, I turned a bit of scrap wood on the lathe, then cut it in half for a mirror image on each side. I used bits of coathangar wire and electrical wire to make the fuel lines, then turned the little upside down filter out of a bit of dowel and glued it all up.

Nose panel for avionics next.

NHiYH7P.jpg

gOyRLWH.jpg

NfA3CqR.jpg

5zfyroi.jpg

nj5WJFr.jpg

2TKHV1g.jpg

1am... off to bed.

Gt6oyVy.jpg

Latest posts