Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Pa you are already the favourite :Y: :) and trust me being favourite is hard work but a whole lot of fun :perfect: :heart: :beer:

Terrifying. I've made a few billets from scratch before, under tuition from experienced operators, but today was my first time pattern welding, (modern Damascus) alone.

I have a twist billet of 16 layers that I made over a year ago now. Today I chopped it into into four lengths, re-stacked, (64 layers now) and squashed out into a dimension precise billet to stock-remove one big knife and it's guard, without further disrupting the pattern by forging the shape. I'm hoping to expose certain patterns as I grind the bevel geometries in.

Taking my time with this one. For me personally, it's a big investment in my personal development as a knife maker.

More to follow as I can.

The video shows me doing the first power hammer set after the initial press under a hydraulic press, subsequent heats and hammers were used to draw out the bar and size it width and thickness.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/_jFM2WBLS04[/video]

Original 16 layer twist billet.
PRujhjg.jpg

teP3uga.jpg

0G8uIf0.jpg

p6c0FDE.jpg

MAX8uL2.jpg

uz8fZCV.jpg

SfTsbKn.jpg

I've always enjoyed watching "smithys" at work. Love following your exploits, do knife makers class themselves as smithys or artisans or is there a particular term for knife makers?

Sandbagger said:
Terrifying. I've made a few billets from scratch before, under tuition from experienced operators, but today was my first time pattern welding, (modern Damascus) alone.

I have a twist billet of 16 layers that I made over a year ago now. Today I chopped it into into four lengths, re-stacked, (64 layers now) and squashed out into a dimension precise billet to stock-remove one big knife and it's guard, without further disrupting the pattern by forging the shape. I'm hoping to expose certain patterns as I grind the bevel geometries in.

Taking my time with this one. For me personally, it's a big investment in my personal development as a knife maker.

More to follow as I can.

The video shows me doing the first power hammer set after the initial press under a hydraulic press, subsequent heats and hammers were used to draw out the bar and size it width and thickness.

https://i.imgur.com/SfTsbKn.jpg?1

Just curious mate are you in your own workshop at home or do you have a really cool mens shed where you are ?

Wish I had the power hammer. :D

Latest posts