Smallest piece with an SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now pose a question ,... could the SDC find dust in accumulation by tracing the black sand signals(best of both worlds then) ? That way the smallest it could lead you to would be fine dust, or, is this beyond the scope of the SDC ?
Just a question from a humble treasure hunter. :D

I follow this thread because of the skill taken to tune yourself to the machine and it to the ground. I've found quite a few sub 0.1g, but no-where near these. Well done lads!

SDC's bread and butter.
1462595212_img_4527.jpg

jwal said:
I saw the thread about the largest piece found with an SDC, so I wouldn't mind going the other way as well.

I don't have scales, but as BigWave as my witness, we weren't able to get an accurate weight on the scales. See your five cent piece, now have a look at this bit on the right.

It was one or two scratches under the surface, hard ground. Feint signal, thought it was more lead shot.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6839/1461481084_image.jpg
I found a smaller one using my 4500 and 8" mono commander coil

Outback said:
Gee this is getting to the stage of Who can find the least $ buck value micro nugget using an expensive detector :p

If that is what you like doing then all power to you ! :/

Now for those who seek to actually make a quid from prospecting ' you would be better off using a pan & sieve looking for the spots were fine gold has accumulated .
Natural traps can hold ounces within a few buckets of material , , especially in desert gold fields .

All that fine gold is still beyond any detector . :D
.What ever Dude :|

silver said:
I now pose a question ,... could the SDC find dust in accumulation by tracing the black sand signals(best of both worlds then) ? That way the smallest it could lead you to would be fine dust, or, is this beyond the scope of the SDC ?
Just a question from a humble treasure hunter. :D
You might pickup on some ground variation through the threshold of any quick changes but the SDC wouldn't be ideal for tracking it as it works well in highly mineralised ground to null it out.
A GMT with "follow black sand" ability or other VLF with a mineralisation reading may be a better option for this? Alternatively learning about the principles of where & why the heavy's are is probably an even better option so you can read & follow it unaided?

I seen a video one time where a fellow went across the old creek at intervals moving down it by a few yards each time, marking the high mineralization with a small rock cairn each time he found it, then, when he was finished doing that, he used string lines from cairn to cairn to mark out the invisible flow of black sands, then, whilst able to see all with the aid of his marking out could pick out the confluence of the black sands and thereby find the best spot to start working and retrieving the fines.

Tim said:
BigWave said:
Welcome back Tim! Long may you stay and spread your anti-establishment everythings?
:lol: Ta BW. The bruises on my forehead from banging it on a brick wall have finally healed, but the elephant is still in the room here, methinks. So I will endeavor to limit my blunt statements of the obvious to specific and relevant topics. ;)

Top stuff Jwal. Surfing a few other sites I found some guff about using an earlier Goldmaster(concentric elliptical) coil on my GMT to further enhance its'ability finding them small bits- I'm still a ML orphan..... 8.(

Full credit to you blokes here. You sure are world class masters of the beepa. :) :) Truly the epitome of the Anzac and Eureka spirits.

That guff you talk about Actually works, What the Twin D coil will see at 1 inch the Longscan (concentric) will see at 3 inches and it only works on Tiny Gold, Also it has some other Benefits too, But when you see that the Old 6x10 on the GMT can see bits the size of the sharp end of a Pin it does make a person stop and think.
1464485255_test_bits3.jpg

1464485316_gmt_bitz.jpg

Latest posts