Smallest piece with an SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the junk / gold ratio you blokes are digging with your 2300/7000 detectors ?

Also what gold weight return do you get for a full days average effort using these expensive detectors ?

Please no BS figures , looking for real results only :D

I always loved reading your posts Tim and feel much the same way most of the time. Good to see you back

Scrounger that top piece would have to be the smallest I've ever seen . What number do you normally run? I normally go 3 as it seems to suit my hearing sometimes 4 in certain places.

Outback said:
What's the junk / gold ratio you blokes are digging with your 2300/7000 detectors ?

Also what gold weight return do you get for a full days average effort using these expensive detectors ?

I would generally get more gold than lead Outback on most trips but that is dependent on the areas being searched. With all due respect, i think your question regards return for outlay is pretty irrelevant for most of us because we're doing it as a hobby for fun rather than to get a financial return.
Most days i only get about one gram for perhaps 2 hours driving and 5 hours detecting. I only have an sdc, pick and scoop. That's all the gear i have which is about one twentieth or less than the value of the fishing gear i have.

Bjay said:
Scrounger that top piece would have to be the smallest I've ever seen . What number do you normally run? I normally go 3 as it seems to suit my hearing sometimes 4 in certain places.
I run on 4 around Talbot, 4-5 at Amherst and can't run higher than 4 at Creswick Bjay. I know others say you should run the sdc quite but for me i like it at the numbers i've stated and never without earphones.
It's all personal choice though mate, that setup etc suits me but may not be suitable for others.

SCROUNGER said:
[I would generally get more gold than lead Outback on most trips but that is dependent on the areas being searched. With all due respect, i think your question regards return for outlay is pretty irrelevant for most of us because we're doing it as a hobby for fun rather than to get a financial return.
Most days i only get about one gram for perhaps 2 hours driving and 5 hours detecting. I only have an sdc, pick and scoop. That's all the gear i have which is about one twentieth or less than the value of the fishing gear i have.

Thanks for your opinion Scrounger , as for irrelevant outlay ' using fishing gear cost as an example was most amusing :D

Yeah myself never use it without earphones, I've tried one with a booster and speaker mounted on the grip but just didn't work for me , still couldn't pick up the faint targets. I generally only go to 5 if I've got a iffy target and sometimes it stands out a bit more but I don't think I would find it unless I knew it was there.

Outback said:

There was plenty of lead shot, maybe about 40 pieces and a few nails, obviously frustrating, and hard to find locations in Victoria that haven't been littered with shot.

6 hours out for that piece, but I was going over ground that BWs 4500 had been over previously and learning a few tips along the way, so finding wasn't as much as it was learning.

1461659787_20160425_112552.jpg

This is the smallest I have got with the SDC 0.011 gram .

Gee this is getting to the stage of Who can find the least $ buck value micro nugget using an expensive detector :p

If that is what you like doing then all power to you ! :/

Now for those who seek to actually make a quid from prospecting ' you would be better off using a pan & sieve looking for the spots were fine gold has accumulated .
Natural traps can hold ounces within a few buckets of material , , especially in desert gold fields .

All that fine gold is still beyond any detector . :D

Outback said:
Gee this is getting to the stage of Who can find the least $ buck value micro nugget using an expensive detector :p

Now for those who seek to actually make a quid from prospecting ' you would be better off using a pan & sieve looking for the spots were fine gold has accumulated .
Natural traps can hold ounces within a few buckets of material , , especially in desert gold fields .

Is that why your looking in the metal detecting for gold section.....cos you cant find enough gold powder, by panning for it ;)

Its a hobby I enjoy, and I can afford a decent detector, as I've already got the Blue Bowl, numerous sieves and pans, lots of digging for even less reward.

I work in a copper/gold mine in a desert goldfield, 3grams of gold per ton of ore, might take some panning for the 3grams of very fine gold from 250metres down from the portal entrance, which is 100m down inside the open cut pit :lol: , I'd sooner have a detector anyday.
Btw, the ore body was found by a flying metal detector, thats how they located it in the first place :cool:

Keep crouching and panning :lol:

paul_mac1 said:
Outback said:

Is that why your looking in the metal detecting for gold section.....cos you cant find enough gold powder, by panning for it ;)

Its a hobby I enjoy, and I can afford a decent detector, as I've already got the Blue Bowl, numerous sieves and pans, lots of digging for even less reward.

I work in a copper/gold mine in a desert goldfield, 3grams of gold per ton of ore, might take some panning for the 3grams of very fine gold from 250metres down from the portal entrance, which is 100m down inside the open cut pit :lol: , I'd sooner have a detector anyday.
Btw, the ore body was found by a flying metal detector, thats how they located it in the first place :cool:

Keep crouching and panning :lol:
The greater percentage of people on forum's like this one are just hobbyists, & while seeking to make a quid is a nice notion or would be a nice reward, isn't a neccesity for most of us.

Most detectorists I know prospect for gold because they enjoy detecting. I couldn't see many packing their hobby + jobs + lifestyles in to take a pan & sieve into the desert for enjoyment or the "possibility of making a quid" :rolleyes: It would take quite a few multi ounce pockets to replace a steady annual wage or salary.

Keep the small finds coming. Some of us enjoy gold pics regardless of size & appreciate the effort + skill required to find them with a detector. Finding gold as a hobby is enjoyable & bigger ones are certainly better but I'll take any size I can get :lol:

Hey maybe we could start another thread titled "Show us ya big one" & name an Alpha Prospector each month to celebrate their massive nugget with the "King Dick" of nuggets announced annually?

Id'a thought that just as you can use loaming to find where the gold is shedding from, you could use a logging of the tiddlers to pinpoint the likelihood of gold dust concentrations, bringing to the fore certain detectors abilities to listen to ground mineralization noises instead of cancelling them out, like my you beaut ACE250 (ha). ;) 8)

I started propecting back in 1979,and I learnt how to prospect from a old chap that I met out on the blackwood field in Vic.He was a wisard,in finding gold with the dish,he would always go home with a good rattle in his bottle.
So do not be too quick to poo hoo what Outback has said,I know for a fact that the dry streams of the desert do carry a lot of fine gold,many people on this forum and others have said that they got good gold from desert creeks,in my case we were getting about 5 grams a day with dryblower in the desert,till the motor packed it,but have solved that problem now by going to 12v unit,which works great.So at times it does not pay to close you ears to what some one is saying,you could be missing some good imformation.
In regards to the SDC,which I own,here in vic be prepaired to dig a lot of lead,which I have to find that piece of gold,but bought it for WA,where there is not so much lead.

Regards Frank

Everyones opinion is valid and worth listening too 'the digger', but the title of this thread is show us you smallest pieces found with the sdc, not how much gold you can find by other methods, not why you'd bother because there's better ways to find small stuff etc. But how small the sdc can locate.
We had a thread for the biggest found with the sdc as well somewhere. It's all good mate, just fun seeing what people are pinging, not why they'd bother. :) :)

Not poo hooing what Jack is saying about using a pan to find gold at all!! When I'm an old chap (older chap :lol: ) I might have the time & inclination to do it too but not now.
I am poo hooing him trying to convince us on a thread that is asking for "the smallest piece with an SDC" to pack it in & go panning. Pretty obvious that it's a thread about metal detecting & those participating are looking here because they enjoy METAL DETECTING FOR GOLD!
There are threads discussing other methods of interest. :)

If you lock out everything regarding small gold with the SDC,the post will get down to 1 line.

Regards Frank

Latest posts