Smallest piece with an SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwal

Jason
Reaction score
I saw the thread about the largest piece found with an SDC, so I wouldn't mind going the other way as well.

I don't have scales, but as BigWave as my witness, we weren't able to get an accurate weight on the scales. See your five cent piece, now have a look at this bit on the right.

It was one or two scratches under the surface, hard ground. Feint signal, thought it was more lead shot.
1461481084_image.jpg

I'll hunt through mine and find the smallest piece i've found jwal. I reckon there might be more people can post on here than on the biggest sdc find mate :lol: Trouble is, so many are so small you can't weigh them :lol:

Hey Scrounger, your name came up a couple of times yesterday from BigWave.... I think you and I have to go on a hunt together one day soon.

AtomRat, mate, I have so many shot pellets for you mate..lol, but hey, I'm finally on the board.

Jaros said:
A puggle is a type of dog. Cross between a Pug and a Beagle. About the same size as a Cocker Spaniel 15-20lbs.
I hope thats what you mean Silver?

I'll take a puggle at 15 lbs lol

jwal,
If I was a betting man, I'd only put you 20% odds with Scrounger even though I saw yours with my own eyes and my 4500 whispered to me: "wtf?". It couldn't have filled more than two pixels on an electron microscope. This will be a well fought battle amongst Giants, as there's more skill in pulling the fly puffs than walking over a screamer. Let's see this as a full blown compo on its own PA thread. So far it's jwal (newcomer) in one corner, vs Scrounger (title holder) in the opposite. Let the battle begin. Challengers - Weigh in please.

Heres a few (about centre of gold) from when I had the SDC:
1461491128_14614910209980.jpg

I got a fair few that wouldn't register on 0.02 incremental scales so I guess they were somewhere between 0 & 0.02 gram. Had a fair few others that weighed in at a mighty 0.02 grams too. Sold them now - not that they would have contributed much to the weight tally :lol:
A mate asked me how I found the sensitivity of the GPZ in comparison. I sent him this photo of a bit of lead I found with the GPZ (on the echidna nose) which was under leaf litter & a scrape or two into clay.
1461491642_2016-04-23_16.16.44.jpg

The GPZ is getting closer the more I use it but still no actual very small gold yet. I don't know that the SDC would get them that small under leaf litter though.

BigWave said:
Welcome back Tim! Long may you stay and spread your anti-establishment everythings?
Yeah Tim, great that your still here, I tried while you were resting, but, I wasn't a scratch mate ! :lol: :D ;)

Hey mbasko that's gotta be encouraging to be able to find bits that small even though not gold but to be also able to find bigger bits at greater depth to. How do you go finding small targets like that with 14 inch coil?

Bjay said:
Hey mbasko that's gotta be encouraging to be able to find bits that small even though not gold but to be also able to find bigger bits at greater depth to. How do you go finding small targets like that with 14 inch coil?

I actually find the small shallow signals pretty easy to pinpoint. The GPZ14 coil has markings on both the left & right showing the sweet spots. I use the left hand side mark & just move around the target to get an idea of approx. location. It's seems to be mostly working for me & a scoop IMO is a must for the small stuff.
The signals I seem to have been having some trouble with are usually deeper & sometimes not where I think they are. I've had to buy a pinpointer to make things a bit easier/quicker but I seem to be getting more accurate as I go. It does save you from having to widen the holes out sometimes though to get the coil in there (as long as the target is in pinpointer range which it isn't always).

Been trying to con the wife into letting me get one . One of our concerns was how to find the small targets but that explains things nicely.

1461495620_img_4492.jpg

My apologies for the crappy pic. I reckon i've got about 30 grams worth of small stuff here like these or slightly bigger, and these are a few i managed to seperate out to photograph. I tend to agree with mbasko regards getting a clear signal off the small stuff. Most i have found this small are within the top 5mm of pipe clay or red clay and signal well. The slowest part is seperating them out when you get them in the scoop imo.

BigWave said:
Welcome back Tim! Long may you stay and spread your anti-establishment everythings?
:lol: Ta BW. The bruises on my forehead from banging it on a brick wall have finally healed, but the elephant is still in the room here, methinks. So I will endeavor to limit my blunt statements of the obvious to specific and relevant topics. ;)

Top stuff Jwal. Surfing a few other sites I found some guff about using an earlier Goldmaster(concentric elliptical) coil on my GMT to further enhance its'ability finding them small bits- I'm still a ML orphan..... 8.(

Full credit to you blokes here. You sure are world class masters of the beepa. :) :) Truly the epitome of the Anzac and Eureka spirits.

Latest posts