Victorian barra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Should have been done 20 years ago but 1600 Barra have been released into hazlwood pondage for a trial . If they survive which they should they should have massive growth rates as it has constant temps all year round coupled with huge amounts of food . Will be mayhem if the do ok so I hope they come up with a system to keep if under control .

I'm hanging for it Bjay. Got the Pink Things and Gold Bombers ready to go :lol: :lol:

Shite, I think it was Hazelwood that I ski-ed in a short course one year???? Is that the power station pond?

All seems to be very promising on the growth rates . Got sent a link from the fisheries Facebook page( no idea how to attach it) but recent survey had barra up to 6 kilo. All going well there going to open it around Christmas. Could be looking at 20 kilo by then . Gonna be bloody mayhem when the do open it and hopefully they come up with a system to control it.

Hopefully they make it catch and release only. If anyone ate anything out of the pondage I say good luck to them but would never contemplate it. I don't know but hear that impoundment barra aren't the best tasting, and if you've ever been to the pondage I reackon the smell of the water would put you off. I have seen people take carp out of there but each to there own.

About 18 years ago I was into breeding tropical fish and was told by an old German bloke that owned a Melbourne Aquarium shop that used to import Cichlids into Australia and many other types of fish that people released a fair few non natives into Hazelwood pondage because certain people were getting tired of import cost and waiting for the lengthy quarantine time that is involved before being allowed to sell them over to the public as the water temp was perfect for them and was told if I ever really wanted a good sized American Cichlids for breeding purposes then I should go there and try my luck not that I ever did :eek: now I don't no how much truth is in that but I did hear it on more than 1 occasion and it would explain why so many Barra would of been released into there by the fisheries and wildlife and why the Barra seems to of established itself so well.... Has anyone ever heard of this or has anyone ever caught non native species there before?..... just out of curiosity of course and I surely don't condone such activity's but interested non the less.

Probably one of the reasons they did it.
The Barra would quickly clean it all out. :D

Rockhunter62 said:
I'm sure that the barra will clean out the other introduced tropical fish in the pond. May the biggest fish win.

Cheers :D

Doug

greencheeks77 said:
About 18 years ago I was into breeding tropical fish and was told by an old German bloke that owned a Melbourne Aquarium shop that used to import Cichlids into Australia and many other types of fish that people released a fair few non natives into Hazelwood pondage because certain people were getting tired of import cost and waiting for the lengthy quarantine time that is involved before being allowed to sell them over to the public as the water temp was perfect for them and was told if I ever really wanted a good sized American Cichlids for breeding purposes then I should go there and try my luck not that I ever did :eek: now I don't no how much truth is in that but I did hear it on more than 1 occasion and it would explain why so many Barra would of been released into there by the fisheries and wildlife and why the Barra seems to of established itself so well.... Has anyone ever heard of this or has anyone ever caught non native species there before?..... just out of curiosity of course and I surely don't condone such activity's but interested non the less.
Sorry forgot all about this topic but yeah there is plenty of cichlids plus tilapia in the pondage. Plus a few species of Africans cichlids as well. I used to keep Africans and used to go there to collect the young fish to feed my electric blues. Also got a couple of Red Devils out of there and had em in a tank for a few years.been plenty of barra landed of late but haven't been there yet myself. I think that might be where scroungers gone to :/

There used to be a Novice winter Rowing Regatta on the Hazelwood cooling pond when I was rowing in the late 1960's - the gossip was that there were a couple of 'small' fresh water crocs released in the pond to keep the tropical fish under control. I think the local Rowing Club put that 'out there' to 'spook' the visitors. It worked cos I can't ever remember winning down there... :D

If the wind got up it got very choppy and the boats would get swamped and we'd have to walk back carrying the boat to the shore line - it was a weird experience walking in warm water in a fresh from the antarctic freezing wind - we didn't give a thought about the crocs at that point :D

Caught a lot of fresh water Barra up here but genually release them as the frehies just dont taste as good as the ones out of salt water . Great fun catching them tho .

Latest posts