Gold Racer GR19 Coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Valued Customers:

Please note that we are adding a new, optional elliptical coil to the Gold Racer based on customer demand.
This smaller coil is excellent on exposed bedrock or hunting around rocky areas or tight spaces.

GR19 Waterproof DD Search Coil
19cm x10cm (7.5''x4'')

MSRP: $119

1461062815_kucuk_elips_bobin.png

Got a few of these in today, all I can say is wow. It's just an awesome looking coil. Nice and thin but well built.

Quick test on the bench, 0.06g pricky nugget at 2.5 inches, Gold Racer at 60 sensitivity, a nice zippy clear signal. Much softer on both the stock coil and the 5in round. Can't wait to give it a spin in the field.

The 119MSRP is suggested retail price in US dollars.

I haven't tried the Concentric yet, got a couple here (too many toys to play with lately), but from what I know with the Goldmasters is that in favorable ground, the Concentric coil does give a bit more depth, and you get a sharper hit on the iffy signals. As soon as you get even a bit of mineralisation you are backing off the Sensitivity and upping the SAT to keep the threshold under control, so you are kind of getting rid of the advantage of having the concentric.

I've done some air tests, all coils on Sens 60 and iSat 6, so obviously in the field each coil will have different optimum settings. But taking ground out of the equation, these should give you a fair idea of how the coils compare.

0.06g gold
GR19 small DD - 8cm
10x5" stock DD - 6.5cm
10x5" Concentric - 7cm

0.28g solid
GR19 small DD - 12cm
10x5" stock DD - 11cm
10x5" Concentric - 13cm

0.51g prickly
GR19 small DD - 13cm
10x5" stock DD - 13cm
10x5" Concentric - 13.5cm

1.6g lumpy/with ironstone
GR19 small DD - 15cm
10x5" stock DD - 14cm
10x5" Concentric - 15cm

$2 coin
GR19 small DD - 23cm
10x5" stock DD - 23cm
10x5" Concentric - 22cm

Different competing similar machine and has 10x6 DD coil standard, air testing it will get a 2 dollar coin at 29 plus centimeters. Pretty impressive I thought. That was standard with boost off!

The Gold Racer was tested extensively against the GMT, and when it out performed the GMT in our soil...the nod was given.
56khz has just a wee bit more resolution than that of the GMT 48khz...however, the GR has a lot more features making it a far better choice when comparing the two. The concentric coil also adds to the abilities of the GR....not all Aussie goldfield soils are DD dependent for use on the GR.?
Depth comparison between these two makes is something that should only be looked upon with an open mind. One is current technology employing the latest CPUs...the other...well the other is a little old now days. Still, a good machine tho.

Hi. All. Not knocking the Racer. I have no doubt its an excellent machine. I simply opted for the GMT because I don't like menu driven machines. Give me knobs and switches any day. Plus the GMT has a long proven track record of very good performance. Personally I'm not really interested in picking up fly sxxxxt gold. Fact is you need a bucket load of it to make good money. I was more interested in the GMTs proven ability at picking up specimens. Like all machines it is not perfect. Bit cantankarous at times, but like all machines you do get to know what's going on with lots of practice. It would be nice to have a couple of the extra features the racer has though I have to admit, but at the end of the day, the knobs and switches won me me over. Ronnie.

Well this thread has gone a bit off track, so mods feel free to move the last few posts to the general metal detectors section.

I like knobs and switches too, but at the end of the day what wins me over is balance, performance and versatility. In these three areas, the Gold Racer beats the GMT hands down. In some recent tests I did in two spots with a range of VLF's, the GMT performed poorly. In the second spot which I thought was pretty mild ground I thought the GMT would shine, but it didn't even match up to an Xterra 705, which even through it's chattery threshold, it was pinging test targets clearly that the GMT couldn't make sense out of. Also had a Gold Bug 2 there, and in the Normal ground type and boost setting it is simply awesome, BUT try running it anywhere like that and it'll do your head in. Also in the warmer ground, the GB2 was going out of balance every few feet. This is where the auto/grab type ground balance of the GMT, 705 and Gold Racer leaves the GB2 for dead.

The Gold Racer had the best signal:noise ratio on a range of targets and on a range of soil types. Oh, in case anyone is wondering, all units had their stock 10x5 or 10x6" DD coils on, with the exception of the GB2 which is a concentric. I also much prefer the Zip-Zip sound of the GB2 or the Whip-Whip sound of the Gold Racer in the high tone. The GMT sounds like a quacking duck. Wonder if there's a trim pot inside where you could adjust the tone?

The 56khz Racer is a Great machine Indeed, But I would of thought it would of seen those Items a lot further,

My GMT goes off the scale when I test it on the pommie 1.00 coin which is about the same as a $2.00 coin and it gives a faint signal @ about 46cm and at a Gain of 6 it gets to about 33cm

With all of these machines it is only when you are hitting small as in Tiny Targets smaller than 0.02 / 0.03 grams will you see a Big increase in depth using the concentrics and on the MXTs and the GMTs you will also see about a 20% drop in the ground balance setting allowing you to go in to hotter ground So I should imagine the Racer would also benefit from using a Concentric Coil Too, As does the Gold Bug II,

Nenad, no offense meant, But I think your GMT needs a Tune up, Or maybe your one has the older software, that might be the issue, The later ones have a Christian fish type symbol in the right hand top corner with a small vertical line by it's tail and then the numbers 41 to the right of it, and when you power it up with the tracking locked the Default ferrite Number on the Left should read 50, if it reads 77 when you fire it up then it has the older software,

hope this helps, john

Sorry about that Heatho. Probably my fault. I think I started a little debate by my reference to Nenads testing re the 2 dollar coin. Has become an interesting thread though. Thanks for that thought Nenad re the trim pot possibility. I'm gonna look into that. I would prefer the higher tone too. Regards to all.... Ronnie.

Took the Gold Racer and GR19 coil for a spin.

1463786968_20160520_100109-1280x960.jpg

Literally within 30 secs I had a faint zip zip sound. Dug down and a big chunk of hardened clay and fine gravel popped out (initially thought it was a hot rock).
Swept across the coil and sure enough the rock was giving the signal. I turned it over and it cracked in my hand revealing the flat piece of gold inside.

1463787275_20160520_124220-1.jpg

Then started working the immediate area and scored the tiny flake. Another hr and the lead shots came to say hello haha

1463787374_20160520_190544-1.jpg

Awesome coil, makes the GR as light as a feather, you can use it like a pin-pointer. Only thing I noticed was that charcoal was a bit more reactive compared to the stock coil but that is easily identified by a scrape of the ground, or running in Tracking.

Can't wait to get back out with it.

Wow Wow !!!!!!! I really like this new coil for my "Makro Gold Racer" it really hits hard on coins for a (7.5"x4") coil and the ID numbers are much more stable now, I think it is as good or if not better than the OOR (4.5"x5") coil for the Nokta Fors Core well done Makro, a great little coil, I must say. I think it will be staying on my "Makro Gold Racer" as my number one coil, it sure puts a smile on your face which I like and the balance of the detector is much much better than the other coils I've used. I can't wait to chase the yellow with it this season.

Hi all, I believe there's a big coil soon to be released for the Gold Racer, does anyone know a release date and approximate price please
Jim

Latest posts