Faceting machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I am probably opening a can of worms here and probably running over a topic that has been discussed extensively but I will ask anyway. The time has finally come for me to get a new machine. I have looked at everything available and based on my own personal preferences, I have narrowed it down to 2 machines I like.

Facetron or Gemmasta GF5.

I am looking for opinions from people who own/owned/used either of these brands. Facetron seems to have a good following so parts, maintenance and troubleshooting are well covered on the net. What is the Gemmasta users experiences in dealing with the factory?

As always there are trade off's with all machines. Some things are better then others and each machine is a variation of pro's and cons. What do you like about your machine? What don't you like or think could have been done better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a GF4 reasonably new and its a little sluggish but if you have seen how I cut and polish then that's understandable. I have a student who has a facetron and I like the machine but it has a few drawbacks. Its a very high base and has a very under powered motor and seems to run a bit hot. I tell the owner it great from the platen up. Its also imported so It comes with an exchange rate attached. Service on a machine imported is only for motors or minor stuf or you will need to send it back to the States.
The GF5 would be the best local choice if you can afford it and wait a little while to get one. Most machines have a lead time which can be a few months.

Thank you for you advice. I have been leaning that way for a few months now. It is quite an investment especially when including the cost of accessories as well. If you had a choice would you buy another one?

I already have three and I wouldn't buy a new one but then I can refurb old machines to just as good as new myself. King Soloman and Wally 69 are coming over this Saturday to refurb there old Gemmastas.

I forgot about the halls machine. Peter is a brillant manufacturer and its top notch. Has limitations for a cutter like me, but I know a few commercial cutters who have this and like it. you will have to wait a bit but just look at gallic prospecters work. It says it all.

Just googled it! The limit is obviously size but it actually looks like a really fantastic little machine. I live an hour away from Cairns so I might go and have a chat to the guys down there.

Gallic Prospector, how is your machine holding up? What is your brutally honest opinion on it?

Best value for money at the moment if you can wait for it (long delivery time).
Quality is excellent, Peter doesn't like compromise.

Pay him a visit if you can, he is a nice funny guy.

Doug Menadue (Bespoke gems) uses the same machine.

I was speaking to Doug a few weeks ago and he has ordered a new machine as his is now 8 years old and has a few very minor accuracy issues. But keep in mind Doug is an absolute perfectionist in fact if you look that up in the dictionary its says see Doug. He did ask for a modification of the mast being 1 inch higher to cater for larger stones. I was hoping see Peter resently here in Sydney to see if would carry or recommend my laps.

Latest posts