Gemcad Design

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a play around with GemCad today.

Working on an Octagonal Barrion concept from scratch. First project came up with this face up:

1460113867_star_one_500x500.jpg

Added one new facet line and ended up with this one:
1460113924_sundown_500x500.jpg

So a little bit more tweaking of the crown and pavillion mains angles has yielded this final face up image.
1460280893_sundown_final_1.jpg

This is the result for an RI 1.61 for topaz. I have used the standard round brilliant as a bench mark comparison for a number of different RI's. This cut seems to preform better than the STB from RI's of topaz right through to corundum. It seems to preform exceptionally well in peridot. Of course there is a possibility that none of this modelling will translate into reality and it is highly likely that I am translating the data wrong as I am no expert on any of this. Only way to know is to cut it and see what happens.

So I cut the design into a tiny piece of topaz I had lying around. It is very difficult to capture the astonishing brilliance with a crappy iphone camera but I would say this little project has been a success. The cut was a bit fiddly to get right especially on a small stone but the result was really good. I managed to capture the star effect pretty well.

I have decided to call it a "Sundown Barrion"

Standard afternoon light out side.
1460611040_img_2578_600x800.jpg

White back ground. This shows the internal effect.
1460611023_img_2569_800x650.jpg

This is another internal effect pic but with a much much dimmer light.
1460611055_img_2571_800x600.jpg

It still requires a little bit more tweaking to get the inner effect just the way I want it. Also my lack of accuracy with this slightly rushed cut has changed the image from the desired effects in the above GemRay images. Once I have completed it I will cut it in a bigger stone. (Hopefully with my new machine!)

shivan said:
Looks great, nice job.

Is there much to using gemcad?

Not really. It is a bit weird at first. I started by loading other designs into the program then stripped them down index line by index line to get a better understanding of how they are put together. Then I had a go at my own. I still haven't worked it all out. Hardest part is providing the program with the right reference points, angles and index gears so it can make a facet in the right spot. I saw the "8 facets missed the stone" error box so many times I thought I might loose my mind.