Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am. :) :)
Just for testing and have the emergency frequencies programmed into it.
Like Marine repeater, UHF CB Repeater just to name a few. :)

Do you programme yours via PC Doug or directly via the keypad , I lost one of my units and thought well no dramas ill grab another and just download my frequencies of the pc . The new unit how ever isn't able to connect to the older version of VIP :(

I wanted to know if its possible to send a saved version of channels ? if so it would save me typing it all up again if anyone had all the 80 cb channels
:eek:

GaryO said:
What does that mean ? In fact they are awesome !

Mate I was having a dig!!!
I had a programmable hand held here (TYT) that I got from fleabay, I pulled it apart, and it was surprisingly well built and shielded.

I program mine via PC mate and it is a proverbial pain in the aorta
to get the right driver to run.
I use CHIRP and after trying about 4 drivers, Got it to work.
Peace of cake after that as there is no way I would try via the
key board.
The files are saved as a CSV file so should just about import into anything.

GaryO said:
Do you programme yours via PC Doug or directly via the keypad , I lost one of my units and thought well no dramas ill grab another and just download my frequencies of the pc . The new unit how ever isn't able to connect to the older version of VIP :(

I wanted to know if its possible to send a saved version of channels ? if so it would save me typing it all up again if anyone had all the 80 cb channels
:eek:

hey Doug ... off topic.. but.. i told young Matt..aka Smaug to seek you out at the meet :p he started off asking about shovels and pans... now his turning up with a new highbanker! :lol: hope you can help him mate... hope you have a great time mate! :cool:

I was interested in a uhf set up in my car but wasnt sure about the setup. In the old days i would just drill holes and mount it anywhere but with a new car im not feeling so keen to drill holes in the dash etc.
Wondering if anyone can post some pics of how they have units set up in modern vehicles

Thanks

GaryO said:
I was interested in a uhf set up in my car but wasnt sure about the setup. In the old days i would just drill holes and mount it anywhere but with a new car im not feeling so keen to drill holes in the dash etc.
Wondering if anyone can post some pics of how they have units set up in modern vehicles

Thanks

What vehicle would help, someone may be able to help with some specific tips that have already been done?

With the UHF aerials they don't need a ground plane to transmit. The old 27 mhz ones did-uhf don't-just mount it on the edge of the roof rack and it will roar to life. They are like any transmit aerial-the higher the better-just watch out for car park roof limits.
Jaros :p

Westaus said:
GaryO said:

Thanks

What vehicle would help, someone may be able to help with some specific tips that have already been done?
Its a new Holden Colorado dual cab , has an ali tray back so mounting the aerial shouldnt be an issue at least :)

Jaros said:
With the UHF aerials they don't need a ground plane to transmit. The old 27 mhz ones did-uhf don't-just mount it on the edge of the roof rack and it will roar to life. They are like any transmit aerial-the higher the better-just watch out for car park roof limits.
Jaros :p

...... not quite right Jaros, a UHF monopole antenna requires a groundplane just like the old common 27 mhz monople whips we all used.
this link explains the UHF antenna options in laymans terms http://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles/2012/are-you-receiving

casper

Agree on that Casper,
They all mainly use a bazooka match termination half way up the base coil.

I thought that marine radios were restricted to 5 watts so that in an emergency you wouldn't have clowns up and down the coast cutting in and offering advice.

bye

Tathradj said:
Agree on that Casper,
They all mainly use a bazooka match termination half way up the base coil.

I think that Jaros was just on about UHF antennas, using an elevated feed, because of the relatively short wavelength, so there is no ground plane.

That's what I was talking about Simmo. LOL
In a lot of cases, All they do is strip the outer of and solder the center
conductor leaving the braid untouched.
I think the marine antenna's are co linear Dipoles.
Never pulled one apart to see.
And yes, Marine is 25 watts.

Latest posts