Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i thought that too Doug... but they are not asking of or purporting to be anything... just the message and the suburb.i'm sure its the GREYS... :cool:

Nah mate. Answer one of those messages and then answer yes, You can be charged a lot of money per received messages.
It is a load of crap designed to suck money out of the unaware.
A Ham might correct me but I know of no data services on 27 meg ( Though it is possible. ) and it is impossible to receive CB messages on a mobile phone.
Think of 1000
Old CB's are at 27
Marine is at 150
UHF CB is at 460 (Close enough)
Mobiles are at 850 and up..
Yes you can receive on one frequency and transmit on another.
But with Data and the setup to do this, Is quite expensive and would be found out real quick.
End story again Cobber, If it looks to good to be true, It is.
Scam.
Delete the message and forget it. LOL

reefer said:
got the strangest message on my mobile phone today people!...so i'm in woolies with the missus and i get a message... after the biggest double-take i've had in years, it says CB MESSAGE!...????WTF! has anyone any info about this?is it even possible to get a message from CB in this manner?... there were four in a flurry of beeping and whistling over a period of 10minutes. the first one i open says...Albion Park.... a suburb about 5K's from me... the 2nd was the same... about 5mins. later from Berkely, over the other side of Lake Illawarra.. and the last one from Unanderra...halfway between here and the Gong!...?? At first i thought it was my nephew Adam..he has a unit in his Nissan and off course knows my mobile number... i'm thinking... maybe his trying to let me know he is calling me on the cb.. so i bells him.. he pleads innocence and suggests in a nice way that its time i go and have a Poppy nap.hehe...actually he told me go.... you know what :eek: So people anybody have any idea whats going on... when opened on the phone, the messages just said the areas i said above... with the time sent??? Is there something i should know, or is someone trying to contact me from the forum ??... should i report this to the authorities?... am i being contacted by the grey Aliens??

Hi Reefer - it is no scam...

Having worked for a number of years with various companies in the telco game building and maintaining mobile networks, I can tell you it is a feature called Cell Broadcast (CB) , some technician has turned on the feature - when your handset chooses a stronger cell in your vicinity that cell will send the name of the location of the cell you have attached to. In your case you were in an area where many cells were being received by your handset , all of equal level so the handset could not make up its mind which one to camp on, this can happen more often when one is indoors and moving around.

Nuttin' to worry about, technicians sometimes use this when testing coverage out in the field

Cheers

Barry

OH...JOY Thank you Barry! :) your dead right!..i was indoors and moving around.. and i guess the guy was heading back to the telco base in Wollongong.. or there abouts... hence the sequence of messages.. which is the logical route from Albion Park...ssooo glad i'm not on the Aliens abduction list :D Thank you very much Barry.. and i'm so sorry i will not be able to catch up for a chinwag this time around..AGAIN :rolleyes: at Tuena.cheers and beers..next time..regards Rossco.

Have to remember your mobile phone is not a phone as such.
It is a very intelligent voting radio (Sort Of) with a DTMF pad on the front of it.
And software driven. LOL

reefer said:
OH...JOY Thank you Barry! :) your dead right!..i was indoors and moving around.. and i guess the guy was heading back to the telco base in Wollongong.. or there abouts... hence the sequence of messages.. which is the logical route from Albion Park...ssooo glad i'm not on the Aliens abduction list :D Thank you very much Barry.. and i'm so sorry i will not be able to catch up for a chinwag this time around..AGAIN :rolleyes: at Tuena.cheers and beers..next time..regards Rossco.

Oh and I forgot to mention - some versions of android let you turn off receiving these CB messages but I dunno about iPhones.

Cheers

Yes Bazza, as we travelled around WA periodically received messages usually when we were in country towns or passing through. Was puzzled so dropped into the local Telstra shop when we got home and a techo there turned off receiving on my android.

Yeah i 'd like to no how to turn it off my Samsung galaxy 3 if anyone knows...i imagine its in settings somewhere..unless you have to have a code or something. Its not such a mystery now and if it has to stay on ..well thats ok.. :cool: ..glad i started this topic.. stuff like this can be a real worry if you don't know whats going on :cool:

For Android.....

Open the Android messaging app and tap in the overview at the top-right symbol with the three points. A menu will pop up, where now "Settings" must be selected. You are now entering the next submenu. Scroll down a bit until you can see messages, select CB. Tap on this entry to make more options visible. Here you'll find at the top-right a controller. Push it from "On" to "Off" to turn off CB messages in Android

Source: http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/a...ipop-disable-cell-broadcast-messages-solution

THANKS Simmo... i did as it says but cannot get a sub menu which shows a CB...on... off thingo.. just bluetooth.etc....??

Yeah GaryO... I'ts just an annoyance when it does it... its like every 5mins you have ya phone goin off,,,what the #@$%!....hehe..I've tried as Simmo advised but i just get a submenu of all the available Apps which i can jigger with.. like bluetooth, wifi.etc...no hint at all of CB MESSAGES..so i'm at a loss as to what you do.... next step is to take it to a technician i guess...more of an inconvenience than anything i guess.....cheers!

On my Samsung,
Open the message app then tap the lower left
button beside the home key.
tap settings,
Scroll down until you see it.

Hey Tathraj :cool: your post prompted me to go there at the BOTTOM of the the message app. ;) scrolled down and Bingo! there it was!...looking up on the right hand side only gives you options to turn on or off other features...i could not for the life of me find...three little dots... :p anyhow ..like i said mine is a galaxy 3 so i guess there is a little difference...thing is I've fixed it and I thank all those others for their input... your a legend SPIN! :) :cool:

Latest posts