Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefer

Ross Langlands
Reaction score
Hi everyone ...just got a Uniden hand held CB..courteously delivered to me by a nephew and with the compliments of his company who specialize in providing comm' equip' for the NRL :cool: its only 2watts but has a range of 8km. i understand we have a channel(25)
..So... whats the go lads..is there a specific call sign..what are the things i can,should and should not do...in other words what protocols are in place for the use of that channel... It is what it is and so i would appreciate any wisdom ie, tips etc and opinions as to the efficiency of this unit...pro's n con's....cheers Rossco

reefer said:
Hi everyone ...just got a Uniden hand held CB..courteously delivered to me by a nephew and with the compliments of his company who specialize in providing comm' equip' for the NRL :cool: its only 2watts but has a range of 8km. i understand we have a channel(25)
..So... whats the go lads..is there a specific call sign..what are the things i can,should and should not do...in other words what protocols are in place for the use of that channel... It is what it is and so i would appreciate any wisdom ie, tips etc and opinions as to the efficiency of this unit...pro's n con's....cheers Rossco

Reefer I don't believe that there is a specific channel for prospectors, but typically a group of people who go out together will agree on a specific channel for their communications on an outing. That said there are some specific channel allocations, and use of those should be restricted to their assigned purpose. Note that CH40 has traditionally been called the truckies channel, but when on the road you may come across cases where you are asked to communicate using 40, so don't be afraid to use it if driving or want to get in touch with someone driving nearby.

The following link defines the allocated use.

http://uhfcb.com.au/80-Channel-UHF-Information.php

My unit allows scanning for activity across channels and this can be handy at times, but may use a bit more battery.

Rob.

Hey Reefer, if it only has one channel, I highly doubt that it is in the CB bandwidth? Probably a commercial channel.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT FELLAS! :cool: Its a 40 ch.switchable output,lcd. group scan with priority channel watch, open scan,auto squelch, keypad lock and a couple of other things :)

Hi PabloP..EXTRA THANKS FOR THE LINK TO PROTOCOLS :cool: Just what i was looking for :D

Yep. :) :)
Our unofficial, Official Channel is 25
and only use your forum name.
Reminds me to get a small hand held.
Gotta keep an eye on things. LOL

Hi Doug..it only says...uh044dp..quad power..Uniden..with rang extender! :cool: ..ke??

Yep,
That's all you need mate. :)
You can download the users manual from Uniden Australia.
Quite a nice little radio.
Being a radio nut like some others on here,
I have a 400 channel fully programmable hand held that I use for testing.
I have all of the Marine\CB\ bands plus emergency channels programmed into it.
For emergency use only as it is a bit naughty for me to use it for any other purpose.

ok ssoo... i press the button and say "Tarthradj.. this is reefer..comeback"..you answer and say......i don't know what your talkin about...or?

That's fine Reefer,
Always remember that everyone else with a radio can hear you. :) :)
Just have a listen to what others are doing and you will get the picture.

Doug!..i have extensive experience with the marine radio network :cool: what i was looking for was the protocols for the emergency channels ;) i have since found out that ch 5,35 are the go with 5 having recently undergone or is undergoing some sought of upgrade or changes of some kind .I assume emergency procedures mirror that of the marine bands with 3x call sign followed by the emergency statement etc. Are we using 25 as the stand by call channel and then switching to a chat channel or?..your right though, everyone can hear you,and from what i've heard thus far, the lingo over cb on the road is vastly different to the more formal marine jargon. intermittent chat is a useful diversion at times..however my prime motivation here is from the safety aspect of the thing.Why the people in the Tuena area have not rioted for a relay antenna i'll never know..its just a real communication black hole in this age of the mobile phone.The thing is I'll feel that much more relaxed, knowing that people like yourself are contactable in those emergency moments.... and to have a little friendly banter with :cool:

Tathradj said:
That's fine Reefer,
Always remember that everyone else with a radio can hear you. :) :)
Just have a listen to what others are doing and you will get the picture.

That is why I have a vhf in my car, only other people with the same chanels can hear plus there is a great repeater network.
My radio can also link and unlink repeaters to extend the range. Newcastle waters to Darwin is possable.

reefer said:
Doug!..i have extensive experience with the marine radio network :cool: what i was looking for was the protocols for the emergency channels ;) i have since found out that ch 5,35 are the go with 5 having recently undergone or is undergoing some sought of upgrade or changes of some kind .I assume emergency procedures mirror that of the marine bands with 3x call sign followed by the emergency statement etc. Are we using 25 as the stand by call channel and then switching to a chat channel or?..your right though, everyone can hear you,and from what i've heard thus far, the lingo over cb on the road is vastly different to the more formal marine jargon. intermittent chat is a useful diversion at times..however my prime motivation here is from the safety aspect of the thing.Why the people in the Tuena area have not rioted for a relay antenna i'll never know..its just a real communication black hole in this age of the mobile phone.The thing is I'll feel that much more relaxed, knowing that pe0ople like yourself are contactable in those emergency moments.... and to have a little friendly banter with :cool:

I would be stunned if there was anywhere in Australia that uses the off the shelf uhf 80 channel for emergencys best you can hope for is to relay messages to someone with a phone.

Yes Shep thats kind of what i expected.. that said i was under the impression that the two emergency channel were monitored 24/7 by volunteers..if their not.well your suggestion of a relay to someone with a phone is your only option...which is a whole lot better than nothing, in my book :cool: cheers ;)

Tathradj said:
Yep,
For emergency use only as it is a bit naughty for me to use it for any other purpose.

You a Ham Tath???

Exactly.... UHF radios were designed for short range communications...basically line of site.
If I were in dire straights, or bogged just off the highway, I would most definately appreciate the $200 uhf i installed last week...

However. the slowly failing HF network is also an option.....
Sat phone is the ants pants now.....

I had a roll over many moons ago, and was using 'Spot" as a tracker, when I hit the button....(Lucky that I could, because I was alive...) the unit displayed a location of somewhere near Madagasgar.......

Spot messenger is not perfect, I've used it for years, and the time I needed it, it let me down.
Spots reply to my complaint was that I must not have had adequate sky coverage.....
Yup, no worries.....

Any form of communiction. even a frikkin mirror... is essential in the bush...

No Simmo.
But I am thinking of obtaining my Foundation License.
That I can do quite easily. :) :)
And I would be happy with that.

Simmo said:
Tathradj said:
Yep,

You a Ham Tath???

Latest posts