⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Aussie sapphires can be nearly any colour of the rainbow, pinks are classed as sapphire, once they get that deep red they are classed as ruby. Most rubies do flouresce under uv light due to the chromium content. Some Thai ones don't flouresce due to a higher iron content but you'll find pretty much all Aussie rubies will flouresce a bright hot pink like this.

These aren't Aussie stones but it gives you an idea.

No uv

1504154875_20140504_174645.jpg

With uv

1504154875_20140504_174719.jpg

Awsome thanks mate I will have to get a black light or ultra violet light and have a look I'll post a photo when I get the light

Nice collection there LW! :Y:

Gemhunter, sapphires and rubies are much harder than zircons or garnets. Harder than most things really. If you're not too worried about marking the surface a little, a stone that you know to be say, a zircon should have a great deal of difficulty making a scratch on the suspected sapphire/ruby, while a sapphire/ruby will easily scratch a zircon or garnet.

There may also be telltale signs visible under magnifaction, such as "sergeant stripes", which are rays of "silk" (tiny rutile crystals) which can give away the crystal shape. Sapphire and ruby crystals have a crystal shape that is hexagonal in cross-section.

I have not had the chance to get out for a fossick for some time, but my brother has been sending me the odd photo the get me revved up for Gemfest next year.

This one arrived last night, we have found a few pencil sized tourmaline before, well........ think that is what they are, but this is a thumper

1504913942_image.jpg

Any ideas of what to do with it ?

It's been ages since I jumped on here or had a chance to go out! I thought I was itching to get out before, after jumping back on here its more like a whole body burning lol. Going out this weekend, beyond ready to go!

Hi Colin and Lee

I went saphiring with my late uncle at GG in the late sixties and early seventies. Some nice stones there. Did not find anything like those sizes though. Only small stuff. Blues ,greens and party coloured ones. Also citrines and a few small topazes as well.

Latest posts