⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice gems. It's great learning from other posts. We've been keeping so many that just look different. Lots to sort and identify.

We've assumed this is citrine but still unsure. Any help would be brilliant.

1487585281_img_8591.jpg

It's from the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. Could be galena, I would have thought pyrite would be a bit shinier.

Not sure what it is shivan, but I picked it up anyway :Y: Here's some broken hexagon shaped crystals I found last weekend, don't know what these are either.
1488951342_p3080992.jpg

Here are some small bits of opal i collected the last coupple of days.
This is only a small percentage of what i found and the photos do not do the colour justice.
1488958883_20170308_172332-2241x3984.jpg

I also have a bucket load of rocks with colour in them and through them.
Not sure what to do with them yet. Is it worth keeping these? I dont know anything about opals at all.
1488959119_20170308_180321_crop_696x782.jpg

I have tried some wet and dry on the solid bits of colour but have not had much luck, any suggestions what to do with these or just keep them as is in a bucket?

I have tried some wet and dry on the solid bits of colour but have not had much luck, any suggestions what to do with these

It depends on how much effort you want to go. But you can make some quite nice jewelry with the chips. Just google 'opal chips for inlay'.

A Dremel is a common way to attack that.... Slow going but results are well worth the effort... And Don't forget to use a Dust Mask and Eye protection as well... Keen to see some pics when you are finished... Nice find... :Y:

LoneWolf...

Find the nearest Lapidary club and go along one night.
Someone is bound to give you some insight.
Don't let anyone talk you out of then just yet, they look pretty nice pieces.
There nice and bright, as long as they are big enough to cut a stone they'll be okay.