⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is the only sapphire specimen I have seen or heard of anywhere in aus ...very rare indeed.. great find varts.. :)

I think Barney has a sapphire embedded in host rock Kawman.

I've never seen in nor know of anybody who has found anything like that on the CQ field, though a geologist apparently found one embedded in rock at the top of one of the volcanic plugs on the field.

Hi guys been doing some panning and found these things please help as I'm new at this and would like to know what I have here thanks. Been panning in wombat state Forrest. The first photo I have no idea but looks like silver
1434008993_image.jpg

1434008993_image.jpg

1434008994_image.jpg

1434008994_image.jpg

looks like glass the silver could be silver or quick silver as the old timers called it they used it for trapping gold toxic mate be carefull :)

Grabben Gullen finally gave up some rewards for some hard winter fossicking!! Found this nice stone 22 carats as well as two nice five carat greens yesterday. Water was bloody cold and there were pools of ice, but it was a lovely day. Took my mum out fossicking for the first time (she's visiting on holiday) and had a really nice day over all. The sun shone, the stones were plentiful and best of all, didn't have to work! Can't get much better than that!

1436003084_11705200_10153046337662333_6935259431298028822_n.jpg

1436003114_img_5397.jpg

1436003134_img_5403.jpg

1436003148_fullsizerender.jpg

Hi Hamish, beautiful stones!

I have been aching to get out to Grabben Gullen again, but the cold has been keeping me away.

Do you do your actual sieving in the creek, or do you take a tub and sieve in that? I am just wondering if the water might be slightly less cold in a tub and a little more tolerable.

Pete

Farout Hamish well done mate, cracker of a stone that one. Well worth near freezing to death. :) I can't wait to get back on the sapphs, a tad chilly for me at the moment..... At least there's no snakes in this type of weather though.

Haha you guys are not wrong, it was near freezing ... I did my sieving in the creek because I forgot my tub, it was a silly mistake! I had to take 20-30 second sieves and then let my hands recover because otherwise it got too sore to be under the water! Next time it'd be better to have a metal bath with a fire underneath heating the water for me I think!

Got a fair amount of smaller stuff Terry, a few nice 1-2 carat dogs tooth blues and 3-4 little zircons, two with nice colour but only worth cutting in Thailand.

All in all it was a really nice day out and with only three hours digging I'd venture to say I was bloody lucky. The good thing is that mum loved it and it was great to show her that there are actually stones there to find!

Awesome find Hamish, makes me wanna get back there, will be so close at Tuena maybe I can pass by GG on the way home this weekend.

Get into it Twapster, it is bloody cold but great fun, nothing like the peace and quiet of Grabben Gullen, saw lotsa kangaroos and the birds there help to make me feel full of life so I can get back into work again. Nothing better than an ice cold stream and some pretty stones to get you back into it.

Difficult to tell mate, it's possible though, they can come in many shapes and sizes. See if any local jewellers have a diamond tester, one may be nice enough to do it for you, only takes literally a couple of seconds.

Hi Golden River,
Looks like a small quartz crystal to me (look at it end on if six sided its quartz crystal four sided topaz.) Diamond testers work but can give false positives if stone has any oil on it, wash in metho first. Of course its easy to take it to a gem club and touch it on a coarse diamond lap, anything but diamond will see a facet cut.
Cheers Ted

Latest posts